Notifications
Clear all

Yasmin Or Saw Palmetto Long-Term Vs. Accutane

MemberMember
(@framboise)

Posted : 11/16/2014 11:37 am

Hi all,

I am a new member, but I have been lurking for years.

I would like to get everyone's opinion on deciding what to do next for my mild acne that I know for a fact is hormonal. Yasmin or SP for the rest of my life or the nucleer bomb that is called accutane once and for all? Which one is the lesser of the evils?

Here's my story:

I am a 25 year old female who had been battling with mild persistant acne(always a few deep cysts present, along with a few surface acne) since 18. I have exhausted all sorts of topicals, including retin-A. Nothing cleared me up, until Yasmin 2 years ago.

Yasmin was like a magic pill to me. Cleared up my skin, regulated my oil production while still keeping my skin supple, enlarged my breasts and helped with the body hair growth(I also have always been a slightly "hairy" girl. I'm Mediterreanean) with little to no side effects. No depression, only a few kgs of weight gain that I managed to diet off, no nausea, nothing!

However, I decided to go off Yasmin 1.5 years later to see if my skin would stay clear. I got scared off of the long-term side effects. I did not want to pump estrogen into my body for 25 more years! I already have fibroadenom cysts on my breasts. My mother has been through an ovarian cancer, while my aunt from my dad's side suffered through a breast cancer.

My acne returned to its previous condition in 3 months. I've decided to go on accutane, aware of its potential side effects. I'm on my 3rd week of accutane right now, 30mg a day. My skin is optimally dry, lips are very manageable, eyes are noticably dry. No pain anywhere yet. My acne is at its worst with 3-4 cysts, lots of post-acne redness and major whiteheads-blackheads breaking out around my jaw, but it's still mild ot moderate. However, my teeth are going crazy. The visit to the dentist was frustrating. I had a few cavities I've been postponing to get checked, they have accelerated. I might even have gotten new ones. Previously seemingly healthy teeth now needs fillings.

Now, my teeth(and bones) are weak to begin with(I disliked and avoided dairy since I was a child). I've read about people getting a few extra cavities AFTER the whole course of accutane. But at this rate, I'm really worried that I'll lose my beautiful teeth while trying to ward off mild acne. And getting a few scars from this IB in the process! I am seriously considering quitting accutane.

I have recently bought supplements including multivits without A, fish oil caps, milk thistle and calcium. Do you think calcium supplements coupled with religious brushing would be able to prevent accutane's damage?

And lastly, Saw Palmetto is something I haven't tried before, but believe it would help. I am very tempted to just drop accutane and go try that. What concerns me is that there isn't really a research on its long term use. I am not sure if lifelong use of SP would be worse than 6 months of accutane overall.

People using SP, how long do you plan to use it? Is it better to just go on Yasmin or SP and deal with the long-term side effects when they do come into play? Do you think SP is easier on the body than a BCP?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 11/17/2014 1:40 am

If you are already experiencing noticeable side effects from Accutane beyond a little extra dryness and chapped lips, I don't think there is anything you can reasonably do to "counter" the damage that Accutane is doing. Accutane either works wonderfully with little to no damage, or it wreaks havoc. I don't know why this is but I see it happen over and over.

If I were in your position I would get off of Accutane immediately and put my hope in a different cure.

MemberMember
(@framboise)

Posted : 11/17/2014 6:34 am

If you are already experiencing noticeable side effects from Accutane beyond a little extra dryness and chapped lips, I don't think there is anything you can reasonably do to "counter" the damage that Accutane is doing. Accutane either works wonderfully with little to no damage, or it wreaks havoc. I don't know why this is but I see it happen over and over.

If I were in your position I would get off of Accutane immediately and put my hope in a different cure.

Thanks for responding.

That's the thing, I'm still not sure about quitting Accutane, or blaming it for my dental problems.

I've just bought a bottle of GNC Saw Palmetto, just in case.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 12/06/2014 8:49 pm

Hey, what happened with your situation, did the saw palmetto help?

Thanks for responding.

That's the thing, I'm still not sure about quitting Accutane, or blaming it for my dental problems.

I've just bought a bottle of GNC Saw Palmetto, just in case.

MemberMember
(@framboise)

Posted : 12/09/2014 5:09 am

No, I had to quit both Accutane and SP(blood thinning properties), because I'm getting dental implants soon.

I added 1000 mg Vitamin C + 10 mg Zinc to my supplements routine. (Added D3 too, but it broke me out horribly for some reason, so I'm afraid to touch it again). Trying to keep the acne under control with topical tretin and azeleic acid.

Actually, right now 2/3 of my face is clear except for the PIH marks. Milk thistle might be helping.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 12/09/2014 11:17 am

Thanks for replying.

No, I had to quit both Accutane and SP(blood thinning properties), because I'm getting dental implants soon.

I added 1000 mg Vitamin C + 10 mg Zinc to my supplements routine. (Added D3 too, but it broke me out horribly for some reason, so I'm afraid to touch it again). Trying to keep the acne under control with topical tretin and azeleic acid.

Actually, right now 2/3 of my face is clear except for the PIH marks. Milk thistle might be helping.

MemberMember
(@statsconacne)

Posted : 07/14/2019 9:15 am

Hello i want to ask if you took SP AND what happened? I said so because i think SP AND Accutane Will give you the same side effects if your body does not tolerante them. Thanks for replying