Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone Journey

MemberMember
(@kirks)

Posted : 12/24/2014 5:43 pm

Happy Christmas everyone!

Unfortunately I have all these spots popping up along my chin/jawline...what is going on?!?! I am freaking out. There is a huge cyst that is super visible on my chin, just below my mouth. UGH. And I feel tiny ones on the other side along with the bigger cysts underneath my jaw.

No idea why this is happening, and it is starting to freak me out. Why?! I have been eating healthy and exercising regularly along with taking my meds and vitamins. Just a mess right now :/

MemberMember
(@shadylee)

Posted : 12/29/2014 1:30 pm

Hi kirks,

Hope you had a great Christmas, and hope you have a great New Years! Sorry to hear you're breaking out. Unfortunately I am too. My face is a disgusting mess. I just got back from getting shots, so hopefully it will calm down, but I seem to be back to getting something new every day :(..Its so annoying and draining!

I hope you're doing better..Hoping for clear skin for us in 2015!

MemberMember
(@valerie44)

Posted : 12/29/2014 5:57 pm

Shadylee im going thru the same thing! Scheduled to get some shots on Wednesday! Wednesday cant get here fast enough I got bumped to 100mg so im wondering how long the break outs usually last? Does anyone know?

shadylee liked
MemberMember
(@shadylee)

Posted : 12/29/2014 6:29 pm

I wish I knew Val, bc this is pure torture! I got my shots today, but not even happy about it. I have this cyst that keeps refilling, its starting and it wasn't big enough to shoot today. I also feel a new lump growing..this sucks!

The derm I like going for my shots are closing from Wed. to Sunday. I got an appointment with my other derm for Friday. He kind of sucks with shots but its better than nothing. I'm going away on Monday and i'm praying my skin will at least be "ok".

I have been on spiro for almost 4 months, I thought my skin wld be better than this. My skin was actually better in 2nd month that it is now. I'm back to getting a new spot everyday, its so frustrating!

I just know i'm gonna have a whopper on my face for new years. I'm praying the cyst doesn't get too huge, I have no idea how I will last to Friday.

I keep waiting for that magical day where the breakouts get less and less, and then go away...

Valerie44 liked
MemberMember
(@valerie44)

Posted : 12/29/2014 7:24 pm

Its so weird because I was soooo clear on 50mg but it took me 6 full months before it cleared me, I was clear for 4 months then all of a sudden I started getting cysts again so I was bumped to 75mg, then after 2 weeks of being on that my derm bumped me to 100mgs, im beyond frustrated with all this and all right around the holidays grrrrrr lol,........... Hopefully we will all be clear for 2015 !!!!

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 12/29/2014 11:33 pm

Its so weird because I was soooo clear on 50mg but it took me 6 full months before it cleared me, I was clear for 4 months then all of a sudden I started getting cysts again so I was bumped to 75mg, then after 2 weeks of being on that my derm bumped me to 100mgs, im beyond frustrated with all this and all right around the holidays grrrrrr lol,........... Hopefully we will all be clear for 2015 !!!!

I could never stay clear on Retin A, which you are on.

In some people retinoids harm rather than help. The exact mechanism of Retin A can actually cause clogs deep in the skin that wouldn't happen if you were off it completely.

Valerie44 liked
MemberMember
(@valerie44)

Posted : 12/30/2014 3:57 pm

Would the retin-a still cause clogged pores if it was in gel form? Ive been using retin-a .1% gel

MemberMember
(@kirks)

Posted : 12/31/2014 12:19 pm

HI all,

I have a triangle of cysts in my chin/cheek area. One on my lower left chin (left jawline too) then one on my right chin and one above my right lip and one on my right cheek. WHAT IS UP WITH THIS?!?!

Why am I breaking out??? Right on New Years too. I wake up with the same feeling of dread now and want to cry. I see my derm on Saturday (I hate my derm). But hopefully will get shots and ask to go back on keflex. I think I was taken off too soon. Ugh, I feel and look hideous. What a sh!t way to enter into the new year.

MemberMember
(@shadylee)

Posted : 01/01/2015 9:19 am

Hi Kirks,

If it makes you feel any better I'm feeling the exact same way. The last 4 weeks have basically sucked. I keep breaking out. Its once again an everyday occurrence. They aren't always cysts, but it is just so annoying and draining.

Right now I have underground cyst that's driving me crazy. Its not red thank god, its below the surface. Its like pea size and has a tinge of hurt, like its going to pop out any second. I also have a small cyst next to my nose, its so freakin red. I also have an array of red dots from smaller pimples healing. I feel so gross, just like you having the feeling of dread.

I have an appointment tomorrow for shots with a derm I cant stand, but he's the only one working. My other derm's office is closed til Monday and I'm going away early Monday morning. So my only hope is this guy who totally sucks. He never seems to do shots right, he sometimes actually misses the cyst, its so ridiculous. Tomorrow I'm going to make sure he freakin does it right. No way do I want to go away with this thing next to my nose. I have no idea what I'm going to do about the underground cyst. If I trusted him, I'd let him shoot it, but jeez he misses ones that are protruding, so don't have much faith he'll get an underground one. I don't want him to aggravate it. Uggghhh I even get anxiety and feeling of dread getting shots...Hate this sh**t so much!

Just like you I'm wondering why am I breaking out?? A few weeks ago I had clearing for 4 weeks, and now I'm back to this. WTF?? I'm almost 4 months in, I know they say it can take 6 months to a year, but jeez was hoping I'd see some improvement by now. I remember when I started I kept saying to myself I cant wait til the new year, by then I should be doing better. No such luck.

Hoping you're feeling better, and know you are not alone!!

Come on 2015, give us clear skin!!

MemberMember
(@valerie44)

Posted : 01/01/2015 7:34 pm

Omg Im also breaking out with cysts all over my jawline and around my mouth, I went to see my derm yesterday and he gave me cortisone shots, literally stuck me about 15 times, this is crazy! I was a bloody mess Come on Spiro plz kick in soon I cant take much more of this!!

shadylee liked
MemberMember
(@kirks)

Posted : 01/24/2015 11:36 am

Well, I am still on spiro. I am breaking out like crazy right now. I am on my second day of my period--maybe that is why? There is a small cluster of pimples on my forehead/eyebrow area, and I don't know why they won't go away. Also, my nose/mouth region has gotten bad, and I feel cysts emerging on my neck/jawline. I am gonna try to clean-up my diet and get more fresh air. It is hard in winter here because the weather is just awful and always so cold. On the positive, I still use fincea, and I think some of my scarring has cleared up. Red marks just stay FOREVER on my skin, so even when they are 'flat', it is frustrating because the marks are still visible. Also, my blackheads are still bad. Ugh, I want to wake up and be happy with my skin!

How are you doing Valerie??

I should add, this is about eight months on spiro. I thought my skin would be better by now :/ I am worried.

MemberMember
(@kirks)

Posted : 01/29/2015 12:39 pm

Aghhh. Past eight months and my face is horrid! What the h*ll happened?? I am so depressed.

I have these red marks above my lip and mustache area, I don't know what that is from?? I have two giant cysts stacked on top of each other along my jawline. I still have nasty blackheads and oily skin. I have pimples on both sides of my inner eyebrow, then pimples on y temples. A mess on my chin. Seriously, it looks like a disaster.

Why is it doing this nine months in? I don't get it! I am crying. I hate this, I hate my face, I hate this problem. I can't put up with this anymore. This is awful. Why is spiro not working?

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 01/29/2015 1:13 pm

hey kirks what is your dosage? i know for some people they have to take up to 200mg to get clear. i would talk to your derm and see what they have to say. i cant remember but what is your current regimen again? sending you hugs today. i know how frustrating this can all be and i am sure you are beyond annoyed! did you say you were on bc or not?

MemberMember
(@kirks)

Posted : 01/29/2015 11:48 pm

Hey Tracy,

I am on 50mg twice a day. I really don't wanna go up and get an IB. I don't know why my skin is getting WORSE though. I am not on BC because I think that is what broke me out in the first place. I have an appointment to see my derm next Friday. I don't know what to do :/ I don't want to go out in public and see people at all. I am so mortified. I just want clear skin.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 01/30/2015 9:37 am

Gotcha. I didn't think you were on bcp but couldn't remember for sure. I agree I think that just makes things worse. I do think your dose will have to be upped but if you get on a good antibiotic I think it should catch most of that. Its all so frustrating!! Have you thought about peels to clear out the existing acne? They are really good for that if you don't want to use an AHA or BHA nightly. Let me know how it goes at the derm next week.

Just a note our skin is never as bad as we think it is. Get some good high coverage foundation and then go about your day. Its hard but its better to get out and do things instead of staying at home because that will just depress you even more.

MemberMember
(@krissy990)

Posted : 02/01/2015 11:43 am

Hey Kirks I'm so sorry to hear your still having trouble with your skin. Maybe you should try switching to name brand Aldactone as opposed to spiro? It's way more expensive but it might be more effective. Or maybe it might be worth it to get your hormones retested? I know your not interested in starting up birthcontrol but the combination of spiro and bc might work for you. Don't loose faith acne isn't something you have to live with and your derm should be sympathetic and encouraging. I'm sorry your derm is not so nice. Good luck to you on your upcoming appointment. Keep us all posted and wishing you lots of clear days!

MemberMember
(@kirks)

Posted : 02/02/2015 11:45 pm

Thanks for the support everyone!

I swear--one cyst fades and THREE more pop up. My chin is disgusting. Two big red marks with THREE booming cysts that HURT. My neck is breaking out too! What the heck is going on?!?! I do not get it. My forehead and upper mouth is still infected with small pimples along with my temples. Not to mention the SUPER obvious blackheads on my nose and my skin is so oily every time I use an oil sheet to blot, it takes a whole sheet in one sitting.

My chin/neck area/jawline is the worst (cysts, tiny pimples, redness, JUST UGLY). This is horrible. Worse than before--because now I have no hope. My face is disgusting, and I am not going out anymore unless it is for work or I absolutely have to. I feel and know I look disgusting like this. This is not my skin. It is seriously unbearable. I hate myself, I hate my skin, and I hate my derm for never actually treating me like a human patient, and I hate the false sense of hope spiro has given me.

I get how whiney that sounds, but the quality of my life is just over with this skin issue. The scars and mangled mess of cysts is just too much now. Every morning and every night there is something new. I can't deal with that anymore, I just can't. It's horrible. I eat healthy, I exercise, I have a good hygiene routine. I don't get it.

I don't think I am going to come back here to update because I'm just too upset. Which is an understatement. This is a living nightmare.

MemberMember
(@shadylee)

Posted : 02/06/2015 6:58 am

Hi kirks,

I wish I knew what to say bc I know exactly how you feel. Even though my skin seems to finally be behaving, I know it can turn around at any time. I've been on spiro for 5 months and it took this whole time to feel maybe this drug will work for me.

I know you've been on spiro longer, but sometimes it really does take up to a year. Just a couple of weeks ago, feeling discouraged, I scoured this sight and read just about every spiro post on here. I went back to 2008 just reading every post..searching for the logs where women were on spiro for months, saw no improvement and stuck with it. It was so encouraging to find so many women have it take months and months, and then finally the spiro did kick in for them.

I wish I remembered one log I read, it was actually in the gallery, so it was documented w pics. The woman had pretty severe acne, she started to take spiro and it actually got worse. She was getting cyst after cyst. She never gave up though, and she had the greatest attitude. It wasn't till like her 11th month till she started to clear..She had continually broke out for the whole time. It was so amazing to see her pics after a year of being on spiro. The change was so dramatic.

I also found so many threads where women were on 100mg for months and nothing. They upped their dosage to 150 or 200 and only in a matter of a couple of weeks, they were clear. I was searching the threads bc its been so discouraging for not to see some kind of consistent improvement. It gave me such hope, and reminded me how long spiro can take. I also had decided if I hadn't seen results by my next scheduled appointment (March 19th)..I was going to ask for increase.

I know its scary thinking about an increase in dosage. Especially since it seems that 100 mg helps the majority of women. But there are so many women that needed more, and they found that when they increased they got clear. My derm told me that you have to find the right amount to clear you..then after being clear consistently you can see if you can wean down to a lower dosage. I also am scared of increasing my dosage only bc I really have had no adverse side effects. I don't want to start experiencing them with a higher dosage. If I do start breaking out again, I will ask for increased dosage tho. Sometimes its needed.

I hope you are feeling better, I know how much this all sucks. If you do get some time, maybe look at older threads, they really did give me hope..

MemberMember
(@kmp86)

Posted : 02/06/2015 10:38 am

My heart aches for you, kirks. I am new to this site because recently I went off of birth control and 3 months later I was plagued with awful nodule and cystic acne all along my jawline and below my cheeks. I have an appointment with my derm Monday to see if Spiro is right for me. I also started back on birth control after a month of trying natural remedies because I couldn't take it anymore. So far, the BC has only help minimally but I know it takes time to kick back in. Even though you think this is where you got your acne from in the first place, it may not be a bad idea to try pairing the BC with the Spiro to help it? I have read some threads that said pairing the two has seem to be the remedy.

I will pray for you everyday to find peace. I am going through the same hell. I am trying to stay positive that going back on the birth control and hopefully starting spiro will take care of the acne, I know the scarring will be with me for months and months now though. Although I believe that the emotional toll acne takes on a person is ten fold to the actual physical toll it takes. Hang in there and do not give up the battle. <3

kirks liked
MemberMember
(@cutiepie24)

Posted : 02/07/2015 1:39 am

i am planning to take this medication next. i hope it works. i am on alesse, have been for 4 months and i dont see it clearing up. its not making it worse but still wont go away & do breakout still. did anyone have good experience on this spironolactone?. i dont want to use accutane, that was first option but i do waxing alot so would rather not. also wear contact lenses. i have been on diane 35 few years ago and in 4/5 months my face cleared up. its a very good med for acne and i trust that one BUT i do become alot more depressed,etc. i want to try either spiro or ortho cyclen. i heard from many people they dont have good results with alesse.

is spironolactone a BC? just wondering never heard of it. i know ortho cyclen is.

MemberMember
(@kirks)

Posted : 03/14/2015 11:37 am

Hey all. So basically it has almost been one year since starting this. My skin is sh!t. It is back to as bad as it was this time last year. Pot marks all over my face--mainly the left side. Lip area/chin area and my neck are disgusting. Blackheads still on my nose. I see a derm on Monday. I don't know what I am going to do. A year later and back to where I started. All I can do is just cry. This is worse than ever. I don't know what to do. I hate this. I hate myself--I literally cannot look in a mirror and people in the eye. I don't go out anymore. Nothing has worked.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 03/16/2015 10:00 am

hey kirks. sorry to hear things are not going well for you. are you getting acne or cystic acne right now? also i think you should go see an esthetician and get a skincare regimen planned out for you. those people are so knowledgeable about the skin and can help figure out what type you have and how to treat it. i used to get facials and extractions back in the day too when i broke out and that worked really well and left no scars or anything and you could look into getting regular peels as well. they will clear you up. peels work so well for active acne especially glcyoclic acid and tca peels but my one friend used to get those jessner peels a lot and they helped her skin a ton too. the spiro is good but even my derm told me not to expect total clearance with just that alone. sometimes people need a few things to get their skin in good shape. dont give up though. just go see an esthetician and see what they can do for you. hugs!

MemberMember
(@kirks)

Posted : 03/18/2015 12:06 pm

Hey Traci--thank you for sticking with me through all my ups and downs. I saw a new derm on Monday, and I think that helped. My manufacturer of Spiro switched to qualitiest about a month and a half ago (when things were getting bad)...and she and I were wondering if that is the cause. I started back on amneal on Tuesday, so I will see how this goes. Also, healthyalmonds brought this to my attention:

...I am wondering if this has something to do with my jawline cysts and neck pimples/cysts?? As well as the pimples along my chin and cheeks. Trying to take it day by day and still trying to go out and do things. Just really hoping this all gets better.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 03/19/2015 8:37 am

hey kirks! how are you today? just wanted to say you dont have to thank me for anything i am always here to listen and try to help you as much as i can. yeah it wouldnt surprise me at all if them switching the manufacturer on you made your hormones go a bit haywire again. i take the qualitest version and my pharmacy tried to give me the amneal version a few different times but i made sure to tell them i will only take the qualitest version and that with my hormonal acne i cant take that chance of anything being different at all. so they have a note in my file there now and i always make sure i check my pills when i get them because i am just so paranoid. i think in a way its almost like starting over because they all use different fillers. check out this acne.org posting from a while ago and you can see they use different ingredients.

take care of yourself and keep your chin up girl. it will get better ;)

MemberMember
(@kirks)

Posted : 03/22/2015 2:44 pm

My face is looking worse than ever.

It is so red--everywhere!! The ears and my left neck are the worst. There is a colony of tiny pimples with a couple of cysts closer to the jawline. My forehead has these tiny pimples that aren't large, but they cannot be covered up with makeup, they almost look purpleish sometimes. My blackheads seem more prominent on my nose. My temple/cheek area is very red on the left side. My forehead is so shiny and sick with oil, I can join OPEC. My chin is horrible with redmarks and whiteheads (a couple pop up every morning) and now the area below my nose is breaking out with pimples!!! I've never broken out right below my nose!??! This is awful. It honestly seems as if nothing I have tried works, and I am becoming so discouraged. I just want clear skin. Nothing is making things better, and things have gotten worse. I want to bury my head in sand right now. This is about what my face looked like a year ago next month. I don't know why nothing has improved. I am crying. This is misery.

Tracy, I know you have mentioned going to an esthetician before, but that is something I cannot afford :/

I wash with olay daily sensitive wipes every morning and evening then with witch hazel toner. Spiro 50mg, once in the morning, once in the afternoon. I'm prescribed epiduo, but it is so harsh on my skin, that I only use for spot treatment (which doesn't work with the neck because my skin is so sensitive--same with forehead, and it does nothing to help my blackheads), fincea for my redmarks, and I can't tell if that is working because I have so many. I use aveeno daily moisturizer as well, sometimes aquaphor at night. My skin is so sensitive, and my derm knows all this, but she has been so unhelpful because things should not be the same as they were a year before. That is a year of my life that has been quite sh!t because of my skin. And it continues still....