Notifications
Clear all

Melatonin

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 06/25/2014 1:07 am

Hey girls,

My mom recently read an article about the benefits of melatonin and she thinks it might help with acne. But I've read mixed claims about its impact on testosterone (increasing and decreasing). I've also read about it decreasing estrogen. If it lowers estrogen that wouldn't help acne and of course the same goes for it increasing testosterone, right? The positives of it seem to be lowering DHEA, cortisol and balancing blood sugar.

I've provided a couple links on this controversial hormone. Let me know your thoughts or experiences.

http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/news68.html

http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Adel_Abd-Allah/publication/10850399_Effect_of_melatonin_on_estrogen_and_progesterone_receptors_in_relation_to_uterine_contraction_in_rats/file/72e7e527be5bce12c0.pdf

MemberMember
(@user143021)

Posted : 06/25/2014 4:51 pm

Took it for insomnia some years ago... didn't help or hurt my skin. Didn't help with insomnia either (NPC was my cure), but everyone is different.

Here are some more topics on the forum about it:

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 06/25/2014 5:32 pm

Thanks hearts. I don't think I will personally try it but I thought I'd put it out there incase it might be something that could help others. My issue is definitely IR and while melatonin helps with that, I'm already taking metformin.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 07/04/2014 1:31 pm

Thanks hearts. I don't think I will personally try it but I thought I'd put it out there incase it might be something that could help others. My issue is definitely IR and while melatonin helps with that, I'm already taking metformin.

I often have to take melatonin to help me sleep. My circadian rhythm is very messed up. However if I take it consistently it causes weight gain.

Never noticed it helping with skin in pre-spiro days.

Be aware that it can trigger depression in some people, and it also slows the digestive system so if you are prone to constipation be careful.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 07/04/2014 7:41 pm

Good to know GreenGables, that's definitely not right for me then because I struggle with anxiety.

Just thought it sounded beneficial for acne because of the anti-inflammatory mechanism.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 07/06/2014 7:03 pm

acupuncture would help more, in my opinion, and it's not as risky as taking a hormone to help you sleep