Notifications
Clear all

Prolactin And Acne

MemberMember
(@emily54)

Posted : 01/23/2014 10:35 am

In another thread, there was talk about prolactin levels and acne. I didn't want to hijack that thread, but I am interested in whether anyone who has done hormonal testing had high prolactin levels? If so, what if anything was suggested to reduce these levels?

MemberMember
(@jlcampi)

Posted : 01/24/2014 1:55 am

It's unusual for prolactin to be elevated if you are not producing milk or taking medicatiin. If not there could be some else going on. This should be looked at soon by a competent MD.

If they can't find any evidance of pathology and levels elevated, then the dopamine agonist class of drugs is used. Some of these can have very serious side effects.

In another thread, there was talk about prolactin levels and acne. I didn't want to hijack that thread, but I am interested in whether anyone who has done hormonal testing had high prolactin levels? If so, what if anything was suggested to reduce these levels?

MemberMember
(@hormoan)

Posted : 01/24/2014 8:43 pm

Prolactin/SHBG tests are fairly cheap to get done ($30-50 each)

I tried P-5-P, tyrosine, dong quai, and vitex, which all are touted to lower prolactin. They didn't seem to work for me and in the end my acne was due to DHT.
You might look into the prolactin/DHT link. Prolactin may have an indirect effect on acne if it raises DHT @ the same time, which may be the end result of your acne.

DHT tests on the other hand are not that cheap ($70-100).

MemberMember
(@jlcampi)

Posted : 01/26/2014 7:49 am

Prolactin/SHBG tests are fairly cheap to get done ($30-50 each)

I tried P-5-P, tyrosine, dong quai, and vitex, which all are touted to lower prolactin. They didn't seem to work for me and in the end my acne was due to DHT.

You might look into the prolactin/DHT link. Prolactin may have an indirect effect on acne if it raises DHT @ the same time, which may be the end result of your acne.

DHT tests on the other hand are not that cheap ($70-100).

DHT doesn't cause acne, elevated testosterone and secondarily insulin do.

MemberMember
(@aben)

Posted : 02/10/2014 4:58 pm

Both times I've nursed babies my skin was the clearest it's ever been. Acne always comes back after I wean. It seems to help keep me clear by keeping my cycles away but I don't know for sure what hormones keep me clear while breastfeeding.

MemberMember
(@user143021)

Posted : 02/11/2014 1:11 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't prolactin suppress estrogen? Estrogen levels are much lower during breastfeeding... Not all women break out from excess estrogen but some do I imagine the drop in estrogen during that time could help some women clear up.

ABen liked
MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 02/11/2014 10:15 pm

^^ Yeah, it might help lower estrogen. jcampi, who said DHT can't cause acne? Isn't it possible to have LOW testosterone and HIGH DHT?