Notifications
Clear all

Help Please!

MemberMember
(@mnl1986)

Posted : 12/18/2013 12:53 am

I already posted my story once but I never got any replies so I'm going to try again. I've never suffered from acne until now. I'm a 27 year old female. I had an IUD (Mirena) for 4 years and I had it removed in March of this year. Since October my face has been breaking out like crazy. I'm getting painful cysts on my chin, on the area above my lip and around the crevices of my nose. My skin is clear on my forehead and on the outer areas of my face. I cannot figure out what type of hormonal imbalance I'm experiencing. or what is is going on or what I can do to fix it. I also have irregular periods (I get my period every month but it's not a regular 28 day cycle. It fluctuates from 28-53 days so I never know when it's going to come) Also, I've seen a dermatologist and he put me on Tazorac cream and Clindamycin gel. They do nothing except dry my skin out and make it red and irritated. I've tried BP, Proactive, Tea Tree Oil, etc. I'm so depressed and upset over this. I'm looking for any advice any of you have to offer. (I don't want to go back on birth control.)

MemberMember
(@emmygirl)

Posted : 12/18/2013 1:32 am

Hello,

I can completely relate to your story, I'm pretty much going through the exact thing. I am 26 so similar age and in October my face started breaking out like crazy! My GP prescribed me Clinadmycin Gel and Retin A cream and my face went from bad to horrible. I had red scabs and horribly inflamed zits all over my chin and above my mouth (where a mustache would be). I am on YAZ because I was desperate and figured my acne was hormonal and was finally put on Bactrim also known as Septra, If you haven't tried that yet it's worth a try, but it is a strong antibiotic so depending on how you feel about those that is an option, and it really does work, My skin has cleared up significantly since starting it. But, my skin is still awful even though it is probably 80% better than it was before, I still need some help because it has spread to the sides of my face and my forehead, so I am starting Accutane next week. I don't know how bad your acne is, but it sounds like it's not terrible so maybe start with an oral antibiotic and see if that helps, and it might take care of it for good, you might just be having a flare from getting the IUD out. But it could be that you have hormonal acne which seems to be really tough to treat. I hope this can help you even just a little bit, but at our age Accutane isn't a bad option, but it should only be used for severe acne. Have you ever tried Spiro? I've heard really great things about it and there are lots of people on acne,org that can help provide a little more information! Hang in there, and just remember it will pass! It's such an awful, depressing thing to have to deal with but there is a lot of support and advice here :)

MemberMember
(@mnl1986)

Posted : 12/18/2013 8:58 am

Hello,

I can completely relate to your story, I'm pretty much going through the exact thing. I am 26 so similar age and in October my face started breaking out like crazy! My GP prescribed me Clinadmycin Gel and Retin A cream and my face went from bad to horrible. I had red scabs and horribly inflamed zits all over my chin and above my mouth (where a mustache would be). I am on YAZ because I was desperate and figured my acne was hormonal and was finally put on Bactrim also known as Septra, If you haven't tried that yet it's worth a try, but it is a strong antibiotic so depending on how you feel about those that is an option, and it really does work, My skin has cleared up significantly since starting it. But, my skin is still awful even though it is probably 80% better than it was before, I still need some help because it has spread to the sides of my face and my forehead, so I am starting Accutane next week. I don't know how bad your acne is, but it sounds like it's not terrible so maybe start with an oral antibiotic and see if that helps, and it might take care of it for good, you might just be having a flare from getting the IUD out. But it could be that you have hormonal acne which seems to be really tough to treat. I hope this can help you even just a little bit, but at our age Accutane isn't a bad option, but it should only be used for severe acne. Have you ever tried Spiro? I've heard really great things about it and there are lots of people on acne,org that can help provide a little more information! Hang in there, and just remember it will pass! It's such an awful, depressing thing to have to deal with but there is a lot of support and advice here :)

I haven't tried antibiotics or Spiro. I'll have to talk to my doctor about it. I don't have health insurance so Accutane is out of the question (a Rx is $400) plus I already suffer from anxiety and depression so the stuff I've read about the side effects of Accutane scares me. I've been researching a lot online and I'm thinking about trying DCI. If that doesn't work then I'll look into prescription drugs. I'm starting to wonder if I have PCOS

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 12/19/2013 1:35 am

Based on your history and the fact that you had an IUD, I would say your acne is definitely hormonal. I looked at the pics you posted, and I think inositol would work great for you. It will also regulate your cycles. My acne was more severe than yours and it tamed it, plus it made my PMS more manageable. Basically, anything you take for hormonal acne will stop working once you stop taking it, so why not take something you are comfortable with taking long term? I personally can't handle taking medication on a long term basis.

MemberMember
(@mnl1986)

Posted : 12/19/2013 1:55 am

Based on your history and the fact that you had an IUD, I would say your acne is definitely hormonal. I looked at the pics you posted, and I think inositol would work great for you. It will also regulate your cycles. My acne was more severe than yours and it tamed it, plus it made my PMS more manageable. Basically, anything you take for hormonal acne will stop working once you stop taking it, so why not take something you are comfortable with taking long term? I personally can't handle taking medication on a long term basis.

Thanks! I read your response on the Saw Palmetto post so I'm definitely going to pick up some Inositol this week. Hope it works!

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 12/19/2013 2:35 am

Good luck! In Europe it's more known for its benefits, but of course in the States doctors would rather sell us drugs than look into supplements. Give it 30-60 days to work...start with a low dose and work your way up to the recommended dose for your weight. If you are getting the DCI, start with 1 capsule on an empty stomach. If for some reason you feel queasy the first few days, take it after eating a light meal. Chiral Balance's customer service is very good at answering questions...I asked them a ton of questions before I ordered to make sure it would work as well as myo inositol, and it actually works better.

Thanks! I read your response on the Saw Palmetto post so I'm definitely going to pick up some Inositol this week. Hope it works!

MemberMember
(@mnl1986)

Posted : 12/19/2013 3:23 am

Good luck! In Europe it's more known for its benefits, but of course in the States doctors would rather sell us drugs than look into supplements. Give it 30-60 days to work...start with a low dose and work your way up to the recommended dose for your weight. If you are getting the DCI, start with 1 capsule on an empty stomach. If for some reason you feel queasy the first few days, take it after eating a light meal. Chiral Balance's customer service is very good at answering questions...I asked them a ton of questions before I ordered to make sure it would work as well as myo inositol, and it actually works better.

Where can I find the recommended dose for my weight?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 12/19/2013 5:11 am

I think if you are up to 120lbs, it's 1 pill per day. If you are over, then 2. This is for DCI, for myo it's different. It's somewhere on the chiral balance website.