Notifications
Clear all

What Is The Least Androgenic Birth Control Pill?

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 04/08/2013 11:00 pm

I've heard answers to this question such as ortho cyclen, zovia, desogen, ortho novum, etc. Does anyone know which one really is the least androgenic?

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 04/09/2013 8:36 am

Well the least would be Yaz or Yasmin as that is anti-androgen. However if you had problems with Spiro you might have similar problems with those. Here is a link to a great explanation and chart. To determine the androgenicity of b.c. progestin you have to multiply the relative androgenicity by the amount of progestin used. So you could have a highly androgenic progestin such as desogestrel, but when you multiply this by the amount used in desogen - it actually comes out to be among the lowest androgenic pills. I think this is why there is so much confusion. You have to go through each one and do the math.

http://www.fainamd.com/resources/Which+OCP+is+Best+Handout.pdf

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 04/20/2013 12:49 am

Ok so I think if I'm doing the math right it looks like Ortho cyclen is the lowest followed by Zovia, Ovcon-35, and then Ortho novum. I'm on zovia right now and I really like it, but for the past 3 months I've had breakthrough bleeding :( I don't want to switch pills but I'm thinking it might be good to try Ortho cyclen (different than ortho tri cyclen) Has anyone had any experiences with it?