Notifications
Clear all

Hormones - Is It Just My Doctors?

MemberMember
(@nearlydefeated)

Posted : 01/31/2013 8:23 am

Many years ago I asked my GP if I could be referred for hormone testing. His response was unsympathetic and sarcastic. I was young then and left the surgery feeling rather silly.

These days, I really believe that hormones and acne are related. It seems common sense to me. How many young children do you see with acne? None! (thank god). The 'professionals' approach to acne makes me sick sometimes. I am by no means claiming that every single person's acne is hormone related. However, I do think that tests to rule out this possibility should not be dismissed.

Recently, while visiting another GP, I mentioned again that I would like to be referred for hormone testing. Her response was that they 'do not do that with regards to acne' as they would not know what hormones would need to be tested. This left me baffled and quite angry. As this was not a scheduled appointment and she was just kindly fitting me in to sign a prescription, I couldn't discuss it further. However, the final outcome was that I could book an appointment to be referred back to my Dermatologist to talk to him about transferring me for hormone testing - privately!

Why should the matter of having a few hormone tests be so much hassle and cost me about 2k I haven't got right now to do it!?

Is there anyone else in the UK that has had success via the NHS on this or is it just me that has a bunch of **** doctors??

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 01/31/2013 1:14 pm

They should be able to do basic hormone testing via a blood test like your testosterone etc. I shouldn't see why they couldn't. If I were you I would go back to your GP and request it again. I totally agree with you in that the best way to tackle acne is to find your own root cause. For some it is hormonal, genetic, allergy, pcos or even a combination. Sadly Dermatologists and doctors aren't willing to do the homework and it is left to us to experiment ourselves. They only follow protocol which is usually along the lines of topics - antibiotics - (sometimes)the pill - Roaccutane. They're basically there just to write a prescription. I think here in the UK we are deeply let down by the majority of GP's/Derms. I notice amoungst our fellow US compadres their Derms seem to be able to come up with a regime that is taylored more to the individual. It sucks I agree. Makes it even worse that us ladies here can't get Spironolactone but overseas you can.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 02/01/2013 10:23 pm

You need to see an endocrinologist. They are the ones that specialize in this type of thing.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/03/2013 2:22 pm

Hi, I got blood tests after badgering my GP constantly about my acne and irregular periods.

They finally tested me for PCOS and it turned out that i did have it, and that was the cause of my hormone imbalance and acne. They should test your testosterone, leutinizing hormones and follicle stimulating hormones. I cant see why your GP is being so difficult but in my experience GPs are generally condescending, unhelpful and obstructive. If you say you suspect you have PCOS and mention any issues with menstrual cycle then they really should test you for PCOS. If the blood tests come back abnormal they should send you for an ultrasound scan to confirm the diagnosis.