Notifications
Clear all

Question About Spiro Dosage

MemberMember
(@someclearday)

Posted : 01/12/2013 10:57 am

I just started back on 100MG a day after taking a break for a couple months. I know my androgens are still high because my oil and acne came back almost immediately and was way worse than I remember.

My question is should I take the full 100MG at once or 50 twice a day?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/12/2013 11:35 pm

It's better to split up your dosages, easier for your body to handle.

Personally I take 50mg around 7am, and 50mg around 3pm. Spiro can give you a bit of insomnia if you take it too late in the evening. I have trouble sleeping if I take it at dinnertime.

Always take with a meal or a good sized snack.

MemberMember
(@someclearday)

Posted : 01/13/2013 11:23 am

Thanks for the reply, I'll try it!

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 01/13/2013 2:00 pm

It's better to split up your dosages, easier for your body to handle.

Personally I take 50mg around 7am, and 50mg around 3pm. Spiro can give you a bit of insomnia if you take it too late in the evening. I have trouble sleeping if I take it at dinnertime.

Always take with a meal or a good sized snack.

wow that is good to know about the spiro and insomnia. my derm has me taking it in the morning and before bed and i was wondering why i havent been able to sleep since i i started it. i have been taking melatonin the last week to be able to sleep. i dont always take mine with food but does it work better if i do? i am going to try taking it earlier this week and see how it goes.

MemberMember
(@someclearday)

Posted : 01/15/2013 1:29 pm

I used to take mine at night before bed, I'm wondering if that had anything to do with its effectiveness. I'm trying to take it around lunch with a meal to see if I get better results this time around

Also is it a good idea to take saw palmetto with it? Just because I bought a bottle and don't want to waste it..

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 01/15/2013 2:06 pm

i just asked my derm about this and she said that it does not cause insomnia and that it works just as well when taking it at night. she has no problem with me taking the 100mg all at one clip if i want or i can split it up and take 50mg in the morning and 50mg at night. i thought somebody on here said you shouldnt take saw palmetto with it but i cant remember why.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/15/2013 2:45 pm

I used to take mine at night before bed, I'm wondering if that had anything to do with its effectiveness. I'm trying to take it around lunch with a meal to see if I get better results this time around

Also is it a good idea to take saw palmetto with it? Just because I bought a bottle and don't want to waste it..

There's not a lot of harm, but remember that saw palmetto has similar side effects to spiro (dehydration and frequent urination) so it will feel like taking a slightly higher dose of spiro. Stay hydrated.

Meds that affect blood pressure frequently cause mild insomnia. Not everyone on spiro will experience this, but many do.