Notifications
Clear all

Should I Go On Birth Control?

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 01/07/2013 1:26 am

I am 20 years old, female obviously, looking for a more long term acne solution. I am taking Mino now and using Epiduo at night, but I'd like to stop the Mino. I'm interested in BC because the ONLY part of my face that breaks out are my cheeks/lower jaw area. My forehead and nose never get pimples. I've read that this type of acne is usually hormonal. So, should I go on BC? What kind should I go on if I do? I have mild-moderate acne.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/07/2013 12:21 pm

I am 20 years old, female obviously, looking for a more long term acne solution. I am taking Mino now and using Epiduo at night, but I'd like to stop the Mino. I'm interested in BC because the ONLY part of my face that breaks out are my cheeks/lower jaw area. My forehead and nose never get pimples. I've read that this type of acne is usually hormonal. So, should I go on BC? What kind should I go on if I do? I have mild-moderate acne.

The conventional choice for mild-moderate hormonal acne is Ortho Tri Cyclen (generic names are TriNessa and TriSprintec). Should note that this is the regular Ortho Tri Cyclen NOT the "Lo" formulation.

Yaz/Yasmin have also been successfully used for acne.

If your acne was more severe, I would suggest a high estrogen pill like Ortho Novum.

If you're in Europe or Canada, you'll need to look into Dianette or Diane-35.

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 01/08/2013 10:46 pm

The conventional choice for mild-moderate hormonal acne is Ortho Tri Cyclen (generic names are TriNessa and TriSprintec). Should note that this is the regular Ortho Tri Cyclen NOT the "Lo" formulation.

Yaz/Yasmin have also been successfully used for acne.

If your acne was more severe, I would suggest a high estrogen pill like Ortho Novum.

If you're in Europe or Canada, you'll need to look into Dianette or Diane-35.

The NP I saw said she doesn't prescribe Yaz or Yasmin due to the increased risk of blood clots...

But she prescribed me Ortho Cyclen since I told her my experience with TriSprintec was less than great. I do think I'd like to try BC to see if it works for me...but I am a little scared of getting an awful breakout or something if it doesn't work.

MemberMember
(@lillyrose7)

Posted : 01/14/2013 9:03 am

im thinking of going on it as well because im getting the nasty under the skin types of acne on my chin. I break out BAD mid cycle and before my period. cysts mostly. I think YAZ is good and also belara. I heard belara is not avialable everywhere but it really is very good and no weight gain.