Notifications
Clear all

Anyone Ever Taken Spiro + Accutane?

MemberMember
(@julisss)

Posted : 12/14/2012 3:23 am

Ok, so my plan is to go on low dose Accutane, just until my face clears up, and in the meantime continue Spiro so it has time to kick in, but I get rid of my acne sooner.

Is that complete rubbish?

Please let me know if you have any experience/opinion regarding this - trouble is, most docs are not educated on either Spiro or Accutane.

Thank you

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 12/16/2012 5:20 pm

Honestly, I Wouldn't. You'd be so tired with both and your electrolytes would be at risk of being a mess.

If you want to wait for spiro to kick in use antibiotics or even topicals.

MemberMember
(@julisss)

Posted : 12/19/2012 6:25 am

Humm... another idea is, since I can't seem to tolerate high-dose Spiro well, is to go on low dose Accutane and start low dose Spiro straight after, so it kicks in by the time acne would come back. Does that make any sense? eusa_think.gif

*ihatedrugs*

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 12/19/2012 11:31 pm

If by that you mean go on tane, complete a course of it by getting your cumulative dose, and then starting low dose spiro afterwards, yeah that can work. but if you get clear on tane, you may not need spiro so long as tou get your cumulative dose.

I mean, I really don't see the point in you going on tane unless you're going to commit to it. As soon as you stop ( unless you've reached your cumulative dose) you'll just break out again.

If you just want something to ease the transition, tane just isn't the drug for that IMO. You'd bee better off with antibiotics and or topicals.

MemberMember
(@julisss)

Posted : 12/20/2012 2:57 am

I just can't commit to high dosage tane... I've taken it twice and I think it severely screwed up my mental health. I can't imagine taking anything above 10mg/day. With that, taking the cumulative dosage would be like 2 years - duh, no way!

That's why it would be actually good to know if my previous courses would count toward my cumulative dosage. In that case, I wouldn't have much left. And my acne only seems to return in "patches"...

MemberMember
(@londoncat8)

Posted : 12/20/2012 3:33 am

Your plan might do more damage than good.

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 12/20/2012 5:06 pm

The past tane usage doesn't count towards cumulative dosage afaik.

Can't tou take antibiotics or something? What does your md think?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 12/21/2012 5:42 pm

Some derms do prescribe Accutane and Spiro together, but most don't. The reason is that Spiro is not "just" a hormone medication. It also is a diuretic, it makes you retain more potassium in your body, and it lowers your blood pressure slightly. Since Accutane already dries you out and messes with your electrolyte balance, you could be asking for trouble.

MemberMember
(@julisss)

Posted : 12/22/2012 10:52 am

I am afraid of taking antibiotics because of my tinnitus :(

Now I can either stick with Spiro or start Accutane, haven't much choice.

I really don't want Accutane but the fast results are tempting... but it seems pointless if I don't take the cumulative dosage.