Notifications
Clear all

Duration Of Treatment Spironolactone For Acne

MemberMember
(@natashagirl)

Posted : 10/30/2011 3:05 pm

OKay, after a quest that I did, I stil haven't found the answer to this question. What is the duration of treatment Spironolactone for acne?? And when should I give up on Spiro? Please, somebody! It says it takes 3 whole months, in other article I found 5-6 months, my derm says that It may take for about a year or so. I am kinda confused. I've been on Spiro for 2-3 months, yeah, some of my cysts are gone, but I still get pimples. I am not clear for 90%. I try to ignore negative reviwes about Spiro, cuz sometimes pple post a reivew after being on drug just for 2 weeks or 1 month( or by not following healthy diet and right regimen). But Is it true that Spiro gets less and less effective like antibiotics?

MemberMember
(@amy91)

Posted : 10/30/2011 3:12 pm

Very good question! I am curious about the duration of treatment too.

MemberMember
(@the-uphill-battle)

Posted : 10/30/2011 7:34 pm

My understanding is you cannot grow resistant to Spiro because it simply blocks androgens and in turn decreases sebum production. With antibiotics, the acne morphs and changes creating new strands that are no longer cleared by the particular antibiotic. I don't believe androgens have a way of doing this. I broke out at 3 months and 5 months pretty bad, but it was smooth sailing after that. I no longer get the deep, painful pimples that I used to. It wasn't a miracle drug for me, I still break out, but my skin has significantly improved from Spiro. I've been on it about two years now..and I never want to get off it! It's made that big of a difference. I only wish I found out about it sooner so I could have prevented some scarring. I suggest you give it more time. Some people on here found their most significant results at 9 months. Be patient! Goodluck to you.

MemberMember
(@amy91)

Posted : 10/30/2011 10:18 pm

You've been on Spiro for 2 years? blink.png I thought u cannot be on that for more than 1 year. I'd like to be on Spiro as long as it works for my skin, I'm just afraid of side effects that can come up from long term usage. And obviously u cannot get pregnant while on this drug.

P.S Could someone type up a link of some research about Spiro's results, duration time and other reviews. I've been googling, but i'd like to read something new.

MemberMember
(@eradorael)

Posted : 10/30/2011 11:50 pm

I've been on Spiro for about 1.5 years, and my derm said I can be on it indefinitely. Spiro is an androgen receptor antagonist so it can lose some effectiveness if your androgen receptors up-regulate (sensitize), but I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I had good results after bumping up my dose from 50mg-100mg, and now I'm at 150mg. I think I've only had 3 breakouts in the last year, and I saw great results after being on the 100mg dose for a month. My guess is you should ask your derm if she can increase your dose.

MemberMember
(@natalieellen)

Posted : 10/11/2012 2:37 pm

I have been on Spiro since 2006. The only time I had any issues with new breakouts or oiliness was when I would try to lower my dosage from 200mg down to 150mg daily. I am under the care of a Dermatologist & make sure to have my labs done every 3-6 months. My understanding is that you can be on this drug for as long as you need it as long as your body is tolerating it. It also only works while it's being taken, if you stop & your hormones haven't changed, the acne/oil will come back.

It sounds like you may want to try & up your dose to get 100% clear. Some people clear at as little as 25mg & some have to have the top end of 200mg (like myself) to see results. Good Luck!