Notifications
Clear all

ANDROCUR

MemberMember
(@evalovespopart)

Posted : 05/29/2011 12:43 pm

Next week i'm going to start a pill called Androcur...it's like SPIRO but doesn't have the same hormones in it...anyone have used it?

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 05/29/2011 6:10 pm

I havn't seen anyone on here using cyproterone/Androcur, probably partly because it isn't available in the US, but it should help.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2923944/

Cyproterone acetate. Cyproterone is used in Canada, Europe, and Asia and is one of the first androgen receptor-blocking agents to be studied. It has dual activity of directly inhibiting androgen receptors and can serve as the progesterone in combination oral contraceptives. It works by inhibiting the conversion of DHEA to androstenedione by blocking 3B-HSD activity (Figure 1). This leads to an overall decrease in testosterone with subsequent decrease in sebum production. Single-agent use of cyproterone 50 to 100mg/day has shown acne improvement rates as high as 75 to 90 percent.6,19a21 It is usually combined in doses of 2mg with 35Ag of ethinyl estradiol (Diane-35, Bayer Schering Pharma, Berlin, Germany). The most common side effects are breast tenderness, headache, nausea, and breakthrough bleeding, which resolve by the second cycle. Serious side effects include fatal hepatotoxicity, which is dose dependent, and in women of childbearing age, there is a risk of feminization of the male fetus.6,8,18a21
MemberMember
(@cindy2013)

Posted : 10/04/2014 6:20 pm

Is anyone currently taking Androcur?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 10/07/2014 2:31 pm

I used it many years ago with diane...I do not recommend it.

MemberMember
(@cindy2013)

Posted : 10/10/2014 5:08 am

I used it many years ago with diane...I do not recommend it.

What happened?

MemberMember
(@pianina)

Posted : 10/10/2014 5:40 am

It's nothing like Spiro... The only side effect I have on Spiro is frequent urination and the list of side effects I got on Androcur goes on like this:

- Low blood pressure

- Low red blood cell level

- Really bad headache

- Intolerable mood swings (especially along with Diane 35)

- Anxiety

I took Androcur+Diane35 for 6 awful months and could barely recognize myself. It reduced my acne by 40-50% though.

Spiro+Yasmin reduced my acne by 98% and I am basically clear, happy, having normal life.

I don't recommend Androcur, absolutely not.