Notifications
Clear all

=====Nu Skin Products (Clear Action)=====

MemberMember
(@jsm)

Posted : 05/15/2006 10:46 pm

Hello,

I'm a 25 yr old asian male who has been suffering from severe acne for about 4 years now. I've tried all sorts of over the counter drugs, different products such as proactive, murad, retin-A, clindamynicyn gel, etc. and different antibiotics (doxycyclin, cipro, minocyclin, etc.) to see only little or temporary improvements. I am very reluctant in resorting to Accutane after all the side effects and horror stories I have heard after doing some research. But I am left in despair after trying different products to only fail me every single time.

Recently, I was introduced to a company called Nu Skin. You can only purchase their products from their website or through a distributor from their company. I have been using their CLEAR ACTION kit for over 2 months and consists of 3 steps (cleanser, toner, AM/PM cream). Ever since I started using the products, my acne has flared up serverly leaving me w/ the worst conditions for my skin. I spoke to the rep. from the company and she told me that I would possibly break out more for couple of months due to the product drawing out all toxins and impurities deep in my skin. I have doubts about the validity of this notion from the rep.

I WOULD LIKE ANY FEEDBACK OR ADVICES:

1. If anyone else has tried products from Nu Skin and specifically if they have tried the Clear Action Kit.

2. If he or she experience initial breakouts from the product and how long did it take for the product to start improving your skin.

3. If anyone has suggestions on an effective regimen for treating cystic/nodulistic acne and acne scars.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

ANY HELP WILL BE SINCERELY APPRECIATED.. THANKS

:]

MemberMember
(@pranay)

Posted : 05/18/2006 7:14 am

Hi m8,

Im a 21 year old male suffering from acne.

My advice for you is a no.

I have tried several similar websites that sell online products to fight acne..I have tried stuff from zenmend and clearpore which claim they can fight acne. However i noticed that skin actually got worse and really didnt do n e thing for me apart from my bank balance as they are expensive treatments. I just stopped using them and probably woundnt go back to them...they seems like rip off stuff ppl making money out of you.

Id go with accutane..Ive just spoken to my doc about getting me on it and am going to be sent to hospital soon for the treatment...its possible the best end choice to do.

Good luck..all the best....

MemberMember
(@the_snow_queen)

Posted : 05/18/2006 9:38 pm

Some products, like Retin-A, cause the "purging" the sales representative was talking about, but for most people the purging phaze starts after two weeks of starting a new skincare system and lasts two-four weeks, not a few months. If your acne flared up worse than before immediately after using Nu Skin products, I would say that the ingredients used in these products might be causing some sort of allergic reaction and/or severe skin irritation and you should stop using these now.

A vital component of my skincare regimen is Paula's Choice 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid (salicylic acid) Liquid. Unlike most salicylic acid products, it is free of alcohol and other commen skin irritants and is formulated at a correct pH of under 4 (3.2) to allow salicylic acid to exfoliate within the pore. It can be ordered off of www.cosmeticscop.com or Ebay. The product that has absolutely SAVED my skin is Makuep Artist's Choice (MUAC) 55% Lactic Acid Peel, although if you're just starting you should use the 40% strength. It is the same chemical peel that is performed in spas for roughly $75 per treatment, and each 1 oz. bottle bought from MUAC at roughly $45 seems to last forever. It can be ordered off of www.makeupartistschoice.com. However, if you or anyone reading this decides to order the peel, disregard the included instructions. They say that sodium laureth sulfate is soap and has a high pH, which is NOT true; many sodium laureth sulfate cleansers have a pH close to the skin's at around 5.5. MUAC's reccommended green tea cleansing bar (and any bar soap by any brand) might be problematic for acne-prone skin because bar soaps tend to use harsh cleansing ingredients and have a pH of up to 9. Even if they don't, the ingredients in them that keep them in bar form can be absorbed into the skin and clog pores. Also, they say to consider using one of their Beta Hydroxy Acid (salicylic acid) peels PRIOR to the lactic acid peels because lactic acid is not lipid soluble and cannot penetrate into the pore like salicylic acid, which is liquid soluble. Not only would performing any chemical peel prior to another chemical peel be too harsh, but the Beta Hydroxy Acid peels they advertise list isopropyl alcohol, which should never be put on the face, as the first ingredient. Another thing: the pH Prep Solution included in the peel is very irritating to the skin because it contains a large amount of witch hazel, an ingredient with two skin-agravating components (ethanol and tannin). The solution also contains glycolic and lactic acid, but the pH is not listed; therefore, I doubt the glycolic and lactic acid serve much of a purpose. Basically, the pH Prep Solution serves as a toner that removes any cleansing residue and can easily be replaced by a gentle toner such as Nivea Visage Moisturizing Toner or Biotherm Biosensitive Soothing Refreshing Spring Mist. Lastly, MUAC reccommends performing the peel too frequently and leaving it on too long. In my opinion, it is best to use the peel for no more than once a week or twice a month (MUAC suggests once-twice a week) and to work your way up to leaving the peel on for no more than three minutes (MUAC suggests up to eight minutes). When I use the peel, I prep my skin by cleansing with a gentle sodium laureth sulfate cleanser, using a gentle toner, and then applying the Paula's Choice 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid Liquid rather than MUAC's stronger and more harsh peel version to increase penetration. When it is time to apply the peel, I leave it on for between one and two minutes and then rinse with my sodium laureth sulfate cleanser. Then I soothe my skin with a gentle toner and a Dove moisturizer. (Don't use their creams, though; not only is a cream more likely to clog pores, but Dove's come in jars. Jar pachaging does not keep antioxidants stable by allowing too much oxygen into the product and increases the risk of product contamination.) It is imperative when performing the peels, and for daily sun exposure, to use a UVA protectiving sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15 and preferably 30 because chemical peels make a person's skin more sun sensitive. UVA protecting ingredients are titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, and avobenzone, and avobenzone is considered the least likely to clog pores while titanium diozide and zinc oxide are considered more gentle. Keep in mind that UVA rays can penetrate glass. One more thing- chemical peels DO cause purging and some skin irritation especially when first starting, but for me the clear skin I got (no more nodulistic acne, visible fading of post-inflammatory redness) after the purging phase was worth it. My purging phase lasted about two weeks, by the way.

MemberMember
(@lionqueen)

Posted : 05/18/2006 10:06 pm

If you could post the ingredients for the Nu Skin products, I could comment for you.

MemberMember
(@gumamela)

Posted : 06/25/2014 1:04 am

Hi,

Same here, I'm using the same product for more than 10 months now and my face is still fed up with so many breakouts. The disributor said, the product is getting to my damaged tissues and these damaged tissues are likely to produce breakouts because they are too sensitive. She also mentioned that I'm breaking out a lot because the product is releasing the toxins that has been suppresed due to wrong and bad chemicals I have been using before. But I have never experienced such terrible breakouts until I tried this NU Skin Clear Action. Could this be a sign or allergy or adversed reaction? Please advise me as I'm so depressed and confused to continue with this or not.

Please see the ingredients below:

• Nu Skin Clear Action Foaming Cleanser

Water (Aqua), TEA-Cocoyl Glutamate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Pentane, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Carbomer, Salicylic Acid, Farnesol, Polyacrylamide, Laureth-7, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Triethanolamine, Fragrance (Parfum), Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben.

Nu Skin Clear Action Toner

Water (Aqua), Butylene Glycol, Betaine, Glycereth-26, Methyl Gluceth-20, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Salicylic Acid, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate*, Glycerin, Zinc PCA, Potassium Ascorbyl Tocopheryl Phosphate, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Phenethyl Alcohol, Methylparaben, Benzoic Acid.

* Liquorice Extract

Nu Skin Clear Action Day Treatment

Water (Aqua), Butylene Glycol, Methyl Pyrrolidone, Gluconolactone, Mandelic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Salicylic Acid, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Glycerin, Sclerotium Gum, Arginine, Polyquaternium-10, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Disodium EDTA, Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben.

Nu Skin Clear Action Night Treatment

Water (Aqua), Butylene Gylcol, Methyl Gluceth-20, Ethoxydiglycol, Polyacrylamide, Cyclodextrin/Retinol, Salicylic Acid, Thioctic Acid*, Tocopheryl Acetate, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Phytosphingosine, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Liquorice) Root Extract, Glycerin, Laureth-7, C13-14 Isoparaffin, BHT, Sodium Hydroxide, Tetrasodium EDTA, Fragrance (Parfum), Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

*Alpha Lipoic Acid