Notifications
Clear all

study on "sensitive skin"

MemberMember
(@flipside)

Posted : 02/03/2006 2:36 am

Objective biophysical findings in patients with sensitive skin.

Roussaki-Schulze AV, Zafiriou E, Nikoulis D, Klimi E, Rallis E, Zintzaras E.

Department of Dermatology, University of Thessaly, Larissa, Greece.

The term sensitive skin has been used to describe a clinical phenomenon of hyperreactivity of the human skin, which develops exaggerated reactions when exposed to external factors. The aim of this study was to determine objective biophysical findings in patients with sensitive skin compared to those individuals with nonsensitive skin. Thirty-two patients with sensitive skin and 30 healthy volunteers with nonsensitive skin were studied. The testing methods included in vivo and in vitro tests: epicutaneous testing (Patch tests); measurement of sebum and hydration of the skin; alkali resistance test; stinging test with lactic acid; reaction to aqueous solution of methyl nicotinate 0.5%, 1.4% and acetyl-b-methylcholine chloride 1:1000; pH measurement; dermographism; and measurement of total and specific IgE. Significant results were observed in the measurement of sebum (p < 0.01) and hydration (p < 0.05) of the skin, in the alkali resistance test (p < 0.05), in the vascular reaction to methyl nicotinate (p < 0.01) and to acetyl-b-methylcholine chloride (p < 0.01) and in the skin response to allergens of the European standard (p < 0.01) and cosmetic series (p < 0.05). In addition, the subjective findings of stinging test produced significant results (p < 0.001) as was anticipated. Patients with sensitive skin possess very dry skin with low fatness, which leads to a disturbance of the protective skin barrier function. They also present a hyperreaction of the skin blood vessels, increased transcutaneous penetration of water-soluble chemicals, enhanced immune responsiveness, significant decrease of alkali resistance and a heightened neurosensory stimulation.

PMID: 16444908 [PubMed - in process]

"increased transcutaneous penetration of water-soluble chemicals"

(i would guess this makes us more likely to absorb chlorine byproducts and other pollutants in our tap water, as well as toxic chemicals from many other sources like shampoo, topical skin products, even air pollution.)

"enhanced immune responsiveness"

(could mean a hyperreactivity to p. acnes and other sources of antigens)

"significant decrease of alkali resistance"

(another reason not to use bar soaps if you have sensitive skin)

by the way, i just learned the other day that IgE (mentioned in the study) is a type of human antibody that is mainly associated with allergies.

MemberMember
(@labgirl81)

Posted : 02/03/2006 8:48 am

Very interesting....

MemberMember
(@lionqueen)

Posted : 09/14/2006 11:29 am

bump

MemberMember
(@lionqueen)

Posted : 10/18/2006 11:20 am

bump

MemberMember
(@kitty_collins)

Posted : 10/26/2006 12:18 am

"Patients with sensitive skin possess very dry skin with low fatness, which leads to a disturbance of the protective skin barrier function."

connection with being skinny and acne has been mentioned here before. do you think there's any truth to it?

MemberMember
(@ariventa)

Posted : 10/28/2006 9:38 am

"Patients with sensitive skin possess very dry skin with low fatness, which leads to a disturbance of the protective skin barrier function."

connection with being skinny and acne has been mentioned here before. do you think there's any truth to it?

could be. this study seems to describe me to a T. Maybe I need to get fatter./

MemberMember
(@bballer056)

Posted : 11/02/2006 11:15 pm

so what do we need to do if we have sensitive skin?

MemberMember
(@who)

Posted : 11/29/2013 1:37 pm

This makes a lot of sense!

All my major skin sensitivities started a year ago when i lost a lot of weight and started going to the gym. My derm thinks i developed rosacea but i feel like i don't have all the red flags for rosacea, plus its not in family. I stopped the gym and trying to gain weight to get more collagen in my face. However since i became so sensitive to foods with oil, sugar ect.. i'm on a candida diet.

really lost here...