Notifications
Clear all

Stopped getting acne for a year and now it's back

MemberMember
(@matzzi98)

Posted : 04/19/2019 11:03 am

Hello all,

I wanted to address a reoccurring issue Ihaving with my acne. Here's a little bit of a backstory:

About threeyears ago I had a bad case of cystic acne mainly on my forehead. It made me mentally unstable and wasquitedepressed at the time.I saw a dermatologist thatthen prescribed Doxycycline for about 9 months whichcured me of my acne for that time. Once I was off the antibiotics my acne started coming back. I made a post on here explaining my situation and a user recommended taking Cod Liver Oil on a daily basis which made my acne disappear for a whole year. It was the happiest moment of my life as my self-esteem had gone up and I thought that my acne was gone for good. I was also happy because I didnt have to rely on harming antibiotics to clear my skin. All this changed in the last few months when my acne started coming up again.Although not as bad as two years ago, it is still very annoying and is messing with my mental health. I haven't been taking cod liver oil as regularly as I had during that year but still include it in mylife. I tried taking doxycycline again over the past 4months but have stopped taking it because it hasn't improved my skin condition.

I am and have been quite an active person over the past two years, going to the gym 6 times a week and eating a balanced diet. Furthermore, I'm lactose intolerant and haven't touched dairy in about 4 years. I'm really struggling to understand why I still have acne at the age of 21. I have a skin care routine that I follow religiously with salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide but yet my acne is still present. I haven't seen a dermatologist in a while but would like to avoid taking antibiotics again.

does anyone have any suggestions that could help me out? I'm based in the UK now

MemberMember
(@gettablegrate)

Posted : 04/19/2019 7:01 pm

Hi, sorry to hear about this. It's discouraging as I have a similar routine. Is there any reason you're not taking cod liver oil as regularly as before? If it was working why change it?

I use SA and BP too, but also tretinoin and AHA+. I also take probiotics, zinc and NAC. I'm not sure how helpful they are but I'm not game enough to stop taking them in case I break out. So those are the only things I can recommend. Though my skin isn't exactly great.