Notifications
Clear all

I just got loads of pimples under the skin?

MemberMember
(@jasko8)

Posted : 07/30/2017 5:02 pm

Ive been using a gel with Benzoyl peroxide in an attempt to get rid of an acne and now it seems like I got 5-6 pimples which seems to be under the skin. How do you deal with those? I have never had any major problems with acne but its getting worse and worse for every product I try. Should I use the gel on these pimples too or should I avoid that and go for something different?

MemberMember
(@oxalis)

Posted : 07/31/2017 9:30 am

Did you just start using BP recently for the first time? It can cause whitehead gunk in your pores to come to the surface, it's commonly called a purging period. The BP opens the pores and sticks oxygen in them and brings the gunk to the surface and kills the acne bacteria off.

MemberMember
(@jasko8)

Posted : 07/31/2017 1:12 pm

3 hours ago, Oxalis said:

Did you just start using BP recently for the first time? It can cause whitehead gunk in your pores to come to the surface, it's commonly called a purging period. The BP opens the pores and sticks oxygen in them and brings the gunk to the surface and kills the acne bacteria off.

Ive been using the gel for about a month. I have some types of white heads to and have had for sometime and the gel doesnt do much about that. What bothers me though is that I recently seem to got an outbreak of some type of red spots and after putting the gel on a under the skin pimple on my throat. The new red spots are all around the cheek though.

MemberMember
(@oxalis)

Posted : 08/03/2017 6:24 am

Yeah, haven't had much luck in BP getting whiteheads out, some will stay under the skin for months and months or permanently until you use the right treatment to bring them to the surface (if they stay under the skin that long they stay as a red bump for like two weeks too, at least in my case)

For bumps under the skin my only recommendation is to exfoliate. Either with a salicylic acid wash, or bp wash that has silica beads. Follow with a toner that has glycolic or salicylic acid so you can get your skin to keep growing up to new layers to bring out the whiteheads. Then follow last with your BP treatment gel.

Don't forget to moisturize either if you try this!

MemberMember
(@jasko8)

Posted : 08/03/2017 3:55 pm

9 hours ago, Oxalis said:

Yeah, haven't had much luck in BP getting whiteheads out, some will stay under the skin for months and months or permanently until you use the right treatment to bring them to the surface (if they stay under the skin that long they stay as a red bump for like two weeks too, at least in my case)

For bumps under the skin my only recommendation is to exfoliate. Either with a salicylic acid wash, or bp wash that has silica beads. Follow with a toner that has glycolic or salicylic acid so you can get your skin to keep growing up to new layers to bring out the whiteheads. Then follow last with your BP treatment gel.

Don't forget to moisturize either if you try this!

Thanks, might try this. Another problem I have is that I have a blackhead on my upper lip. The core of it was black but now its more yellowish and dry. Is there any good ways to get rid of that?

MemberMember
(@needledack)

Posted : 08/06/2017 1:40 pm

people have had success with dermarolling for minor black heads, obviously don't dermaroll an active cyst, but if it's like a hardened bump under the skin, dermarolling helps.... here's a quote from a pubmed journal:

" Very good results have been obtained after microneedling of flourishing acne. Acne is triggered by androgens that stimulate increased proliferation of keratinocytes that block the ducts of sebaceous glands. After one or two treatments the hyper proliferation of keratinocytes may be down-regulated. Thus it can only be speculated that MMPs, induced by microneedles, somehow balance or equilibrate cell proliferation. "

I've had success with getting old ingrown hair bumps out, so might be worth a try.

MemberMember
(@oxalis)

Posted : 08/09/2017 7:32 am

On 8/3/2017 at 5:55 PM, jasko8 said:
Thanks, might try this. Another problem I have is that I have a blackhead on my upper lip. The core of it was black but now its more yellowish and dry. Is there any good ways to get rid of that?

If you use a salicylic acid wash or spot treatment it should help. They basically dissolve blackheads over time and exfoliate the skin. I'd use the salicylic acid cleanser wash and when you go to bed use a salicylic acid spot treatment. most things marketed as a "spot treatment" are mostly salicylic acid so you shouldn't have a problem finding one!

I wouldn't try to dig it out or force it out as it leaves scars and it usually doesn't get it all and it just comes back.

MemberMember
(@jasko8)

Posted : 08/12/2017 1:36 pm

On 2017-08-06 at 8:40 PM, needledack said:

people have had success with dermarolling for minor black heads, obviously don't dermaroll an active cyst, but if it's like a hardened bump under the skin, dermarolling helps.... here's a quote from a pubmed journal:

" Very good results have been obtained after microneedling of flourishing acne. Acne is triggered by androgens that stimulate increased proliferation of keratinocytes that block the ducts of sebaceous glands. After one or two treatments the hyper proliferation of keratinocytes may be down-regulated. Thus it can only be speculated that MMPs, induced by microneedles, somehow balance or equilibrate cell proliferation. "

I've had success with getting old ingrown hair bumps out, so might be worth a try.

Would that work on blackheads thats on the lip too?

On 2017-08-09 at 2:32 PM, Oxalis said:
If you use a salicylic acid wash or spot treatment it should help. They basically dissolve blackheads over time and exfoliate the skin. I'd use the salicylic acid cleanser wash and when you go to bed use a salicylic acid spot treatment. most things marketed as a "spot treatment" are mostly salicylic acid so you shouldn't have a problem finding one!

I wouldn't try to dig it out or force it out as it leaves scars and it usually doesn't get it all and it just comes back.

Thanks, Do you have any tips for a moisturizer to use? I have one but it tends to create more acne. I have this problem that when I dont drink much water that my lips gets pretty dry and I have a moisturizer but it just givs me more acne so Im not sure what to do about that. My skin is usually normal and not dry or oily

MemberMember
(@l-c-a)

Posted : 08/12/2017 4:32 pm

I used BP for a long time and it would always improve and then worsen but always get worse and worse over time. I think it makes it look like your acne has improved by drying out the top layer of skin and tightening it up which hides the damage underneath but eventually your dermis cells multiply and it pushes the damage to the surface. I don't believe anymore that you can wash acne away. I also don't believe that it's caused by bacteria. Bacteria is literally on everything and the skins Main purpose is the protect you from the outside world. You think your skin needs all that help to protect you from things it's been protecting you from your whole life?

what ended up working for me is reducing irritation. I wash only with cold water and only once or twice a week. I made a whole post about this on a different thread.

good luck to you. I hope you find what works for you. Please consider my advise though. Acne is built up damage being pushed to the surface. THe only thing you can do is allow it to happen and not damage your skin further.

MemberMember
(@raziel101)

Posted : 08/12/2017 10:57 pm

6 hours ago, l-c-a said:

I used BP for a long time and it would always improve and then worsen but always get worse and worse over time. I think it makes it look like your acne has improved by drying out the top layer of skin and tightening it up which hides the damage underneath but eventually your dermis cells multiply and it pushes the damage to the surface. I don't believe anymore that you can wash acne away. I also don't believe that it's caused by bacteria. Bacteria is literally on everything and the skins Main purpose is the protect you from the outside world. You think your skin needs all that help to protect you from things it's been protecting you from your whole life?

what ended up working for me is reducing irritation. I wash only with cold water and only once or twice a week. I made a whole post about this on a different thread.

good luck to you. I hope you find what works for you. Please consider my advise though. Acne is built up damage being pushed to the surface. THe only thing you can do is allow it to happen and not damage your skin further.

You are right - bacteria is literally on everything, and also on our skin. The cause of Acne is not the bacteria, it's the body not being able to slough off the dead skin cells which end up trapping the bacteria on your face in the closed pores and you have your closed comedone. In many cases, the body's immune system over reacts and starts flooding the skin cells with white blood cells to kill the bacteria - but since the pore is closed, you have the inflamed acne that shows up.

Reducing irritation helps. But the key is also to help the cell regeneration in skin - gentle facial cleaners + salicylic acid or AHA will help to do this. Unfortunately it's not always enough, and you also need another ingredient like BP to help kill any bacteria trapped in your pores. Changing your diet can also help reduce the issue of poor skin cell regeneration.

MemberMember
(@eternalrocket)

Posted : 08/12/2017 11:25 pm

for the under the skin pimples what worked best for me was, at night I would put a thick layer of calamine lotion on the affected areas and go to seep, and by thick, I mean really thick layer, put an extra cloth on the pillow to avoid lotion getting on the pillow, but this has worked very very well, it calms down the pimples from the first night itself.

MemberMember
(@oxalis)

Posted : 08/16/2017 2:45 pm

On 8/12/2017 at 3:36 PM, jasko8 said:
Would that work on blackheads thats on the lip too?

Thanks, Do you have any tips for a moisturizer to use? I have one but it tends to create more acne. I have this problem that when I dont drink much water that my lips gets pretty dry and I have a moisturizer but it just givs me more acne so Im not sure what to do about that. My skin is usually normal and not dry or oily

I'd suggest Neutrogena oil free sensitive. If your skin is not dry or oily and you are having acne, your skin must be sensitive to something causing it as it's usually from having too oily skin and your pores clog.

Do you use shampoo with harsh surfactants like sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate and get it on your face when showering? Or maybe anything like that on your face?

MemberMember
(@jasko8)

Posted : 08/18/2017 7:45 am

On 2017-08-16 at 9:45 PM, Oxalis said:

I'd suggest Neutrogena oil free sensitive. If your skin is not dry or oily and you are having acne, your skin must be sensitive to something causing it as it's usually from having too oily skin and your pores clog.

Do you use shampoo with harsh surfactants like sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate and get it on your face when showering? Or maybe anything like that on your face?

Im not sure about the shampoo but I get the impression that any outbreakes are usually caused by dryness/dehydration but I usually have normal skin. I never really had any major problems with acne until I tried to use hydrocortisone on my chin. I did get a few pimples every winter but I was fine except for that. Its still pretty mild acne but I have a lot of whiteheads and a few blackheads I want to get rid of.

MemberMember
(@tripleplanet)

Posted : 08/18/2017 7:49 am

I started getting those same under the skin breakouts after using benzoyl peroxide for a month or so. My new routine is as follows, my skin looks and feels better than it ever has before. (I'm 25 and have mild acne). Also, I've had the best luck using a gentle, unmedicated cleanser, and using medicated topical treatments. I'm not sure of your age, but as your skin matures, some harsh cleansers that worked well as a teen may be more irritating on your skin since cell turnover slows down as you age.

Wash 2x day with Liquid Neutrogena.
2% salicylic acid lotion 2x day.
2.5% benzoyl peroxide as a spot treatment on active pimples at night only.
Garnier MoistureRescue gel for normal/combo skin (green) as needed on dry patches.
Cleanse with Pond's cold cream once a week to moisturize and rejuvenate.
Charcoal mud mask once a week as well.
I no longer manually exfoliate and rely solely on chemical exfoliation with BHA.

Just bought I'd share what works for me, hopefully it helps. Xx

MemberMember
(@jasko8)

Posted : 08/19/2017 5:33 am

Thanks. Is there any brands you could recommend for the 2% Salicylic acid? Im not American so Im not sure which brand I should go for and Im having a bit of trouble finding one where I live

MemberMember
(@jasko8)

Posted : 08/19/2017 8:22 am

Also my whiteheads have turned red now and one of them is a bit sore. Is there any risks that the red area will be there forever?

MemberMember
(@oxalis)

Posted : 08/21/2017 9:04 am

On 8/19/2017 at 10:22 AM, jasko8 said:

Also my whiteheads have turned red now and one of them is a bit sore. Is there any risks that the red area will be there forever?

They won't be there forever, but they can definitely leave dark marks that are purple or red, They will heal over time or you can speed things up through exfoliation (acne treatments do this naturally so they speed up dark mark healing) you can also use skin lightening creams that have hydroquinone. Toner is the most important part of a skin care regimen that will aid with dark marks as well... As they even out your skin tone.

MemberMember
(@jasko8)

Posted : 08/21/2017 4:06 pm

6 hours ago, Oxalis said:
They won't be there forever, but they can definitely leave dark marks that are purple or red, They will heal over time or you can speed things up through exfoliation (acne treatments do this naturally so they speed up dark mark healing) you can also use skin lightening creams that have hydroquinone. Toner is the most important part of a skin care regimen that will aid with dark marks as well... As they even out your skin tone.

Thanks. Back to the Salicylic acid, is there any risks using a product that has this? Ive read that one product thats good for acne (retin a) will make you more exposed to the sun. Is there anything like that with Salicylic acid? Also my blackhead on the lip seems to have fallen off when I washed my face yesterday and the biggest whitehead have turned into a bigger pimple. Will BP help against the pimple I got from the whitehead?