Notifications
Clear all

Will I get cystic acne as I get older? (question)

MemberMember
(@redfox1)

Posted : 02/28/2017 10:55 pm

Hey, so I'm a 14yo male, and I just had a general question regarding cystic acne.

Before I get into the question, I figured I should tell you what my daily skincare regimen is and why I'm worried.

So I currently havevery mild acne. When I say mild, I mean you probably couldn't tell even if you were standing next to me and you weren't paying attention. But I do have acne, and I do get breakouts, it's just I don't/haven't gotten cystic acne yet. The main type of acne I currently get is white heads and the occasional blackhead.

I started actually treating my acne about 7 months ago, and it's really only been recently that I feel I've finally found the correct skin care products. My skin is extremely sensitive, so it's taken a while for me to actually find the correct products that don't irritate my skin. Currently I wash my face twice a day with a face wash that doesn't make my skin red and that also cleans up my pores. I use a retinoid (2.5% BP)onlyon my nose because a. my nose is typically where I get most of my breakouts because I tend to produce a lot of oil there, and b. the retinoid dries out my skin and makes my skin red if I use it anywhere else other than my nose. For my acne that isn't on my nose, I currently use another topical medication (Aczone) to treat those and it seems to be working fairly well. Apart from those, I also use a sunscreen and moisturizer in the morning, and a moisturizer at night.

So currently my breakouts seem to be somewhat under control, and I feel as though I am beginning to gain back control of some parts of my face. I do have a some hyper pigmentation on my face, but those marks are starting to fade a little and I'm not that concerned about them yet. What I am concerned about is if my acne is going to get much worse as I get older and my skin starts to produce more oil. My main fear is that I while start to get severe cystic acne. So my question is if I take care of my face now, will I still get cystic acne as I get older? (Note: my parents didn't have cystic acne when there teenagers, only regular/mild acne like I have now).

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@hello_friend)

Posted : 03/01/2017 1:54 am

Hi,
The fact that you're taking care of your skin now doesn't mean that your not going to get more or cystic acne when you get older. You are in your puberty and your hormones are changing, most people get acne or pimples then. I shouldn't worry to much about getting cystic acne. Everyone gets pimples, whiteheads and blackheads, that doesn't mean you will get cystic acne. And your parents didn't even got cystic acne so I think you also should be fine.

You're skin care routine looks good. I shouldn't use to much BP already. If you don't really have acne already it isn't necessary. It is also hard to get of if you're using it for to long.