Notifications
Clear all

Scars From Topical Steroid Induced Acne ?

MemberMember
(@redadder)

Posted : 09/28/2015 1:11 am

Hello all,

I've suffered from moderate skin issues for a while now, but nothing as serious as the steroid induced acne I got 5-6 months ago. It all started when my doctor prescribed mometasone for an irritation near my cheek. I used it one night and found that the irritation and redness vanished. I began using the mometasone more frequently after that, for how long I used it I can't remember, perhaps a couple months. I didn't know at the time that it was a steroid *facepalm* (This was all in 2014). Then by mid-January I decided to not use it anymore and I was met with a huge reaction from my face. I got cystic acne all over my cheeks and forehead, practically covering my face in it. They would ooze and bleed from time to time. It was a horrible phase. Well I went to the derm and he gave me doxycycline and a few other meds, with these and some other changes my acne decreased by June.

It is now late September, and pretty much all of the acne from that time is gone. I still get the occasional whitehead, but I feel my skin is way too sensitive these days from the beating it took. I randomly get itchy patches on my forehead that become red and irritated, but pass after half an hour. I'm going to the derm again for that, so I'll keep you all posted.

Anyway, the acne from the Jan breakout left some pretty bad hyperpigmentation and red marks on my cheeks, so I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to make the marks fade away. I am worried that the damage is irreversible

Thanks for taking the time to read, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

MemberMember
(@ziiziisofly)

Posted : 11/03/2015 6:57 pm

Hey in response to your post, I used a steroid eczema cream on my face for two years because I once got a rash on my face and my friend told me her cream might help. I started to use that cream regularly and my face got dependant on it. Recently my face began to break out with dozens of little skin coloured bumps. That's when I had enough and went to the dermatologist. He warned me to STOP using this egzema cream or my face wouldn't get better. He also prescribed me Tactuo gel and Minocycline 100gm which is an antibiotic the fights against acne. Maybe you should ask your demotologist about that because it's been working .