Notifications
Clear all

Best Way To Deal With Acne Naturally?

MemberMember
(@hdsaurusrex)

Posted : 11/01/2014 1:58 pm

Hello All,

So, I'm 21, female, and have mild adult acne. I had it a lot worse during my teen years, and to my dismay now (sigh), I didn't really treat it properly. Just an FYI, I have pigmentation prone, dry, sometimes flaky, sensitive skin. I've tried everything under the sun to try and treat my skin woes, but most products are either too harsh or ineffective.

I've been doing a LOT of research as of late on natural ways to clear acne, and have come across some conflicting information and would like clarification or any personal experience to help me in my acne battle. What natural products have worked best for you? What are some really effective acne fighters that I can count on to work and that won't irritate my already sensitive skin? Has anyone tried using Olive Oil, Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, Jojoba Oil, etc. to treat or prevent acne? I'm also confused on whether to use an astringent or not. Some people say yes, others say no, NEVER... The common one seems to be Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV). Yay or nay to ACV? And also, what is up with all the rose infused products?? Rose hips seem to be in everything...

I'm so tired of spending countless money on products that sound great and promise to clear my skin, but end up in the waste basket only half used...

Thank you in advance! Cheers!

MemberMember
(@sprout123)

Posted : 11/03/2014 4:10 am

Hey HDsaurusRex,

I had acne since I was a teenager. My acne turned serious cystic acne about 2 years ago and lasted for at least a year. I tried everything under the sun from herbal medicine, natural remedies, creams, antibiotics etc. I have also spent thousands of dollars on products that didn't work.

This is probably not what you're looking for but in all honesty what really worked for my acne was some basic but positive lifestyle changes:

- Sleep - I used to have irregular sleeping pattern, always sleeping later than midnight. What really helped my acne was when I slept really really early, around 9.30pm, and woke up around 5.30am. Nowaways if I don't sleep before 11pm for weeks in a row I will get breakout around my chin/cheeks area.

- Exercise - I never did any exercise. I started doing yoga, stretches early in the morning as soon as I woke up. I stretch until I sweat (or when I feel warm from the exercise).

- Diet - I tried to avoid the following: dairy, spicy food, high calorie food e.g. deep fried, processed food, sugary, oily, alcohol. The usual 'acne culprits'. Nowadays I will still get breakout if I eat a lot of any of the food categories above.

- Water - I started drinking green tea in the morning after my morning exercise and 15 minutes of meditation. I drink at least 1-2 cups (250ml-500ml) of tea. Then, I will space out my water consumption throughout the day - around 1 glass of warm water per 1.5hrs.

- Detox (pooping) - at least once a day as early in the morning as possible.

Nay to ACV - it's too harsh for your sensitive skin!

I currently use Argan oil to moisturize my face at night. I only started Argan oil when my acne subsided. It keeps my skin nice and moisturized and it doesn't break me out.

Morning routine:

1. luke warm water to wash face,

2. micro fiber towel dry

3. Apply neutrogena or cetaphil lotion

4. sunscreen

Evening:

1. oil cleanse with argan oil if I had makeup on during the day

2. cetaphil cleanser

3. cetaphil moisturizer

4. general amount of argan oil

This is just from my personal experience that really helped my acne. Hope this helps and good luck!

MemberMember
(@hdsaurusrex)

Posted : 11/08/2014 4:34 pm

Thanks sprout123 for replying... your information was very insightful!

I actually already do everything you mentioned, but somehow I STILL get those pesky breakouts that seem to pop up out of nowhere. I'm very interested in your use of Argan Oil... what brand/kind do you use?

Currently I'm trying out a combo of raw honey and sunflower oil. The honey (has to be raw!) has natural antibacterial properties and is very nutrient rich. The sunflower oil has vital lipids that help to lock in moisture... So far, no irritation or blemishes. I shall post an update in a week or two as to the effectiveness of my new regimen. I also use Elta MD Moisturizer at night to help battle my incessantly dry skin.

Other than that, I think I've pinned down my new au-naturel skin care routine. I'm hoping this will be "the one" so to speak!

PS - Have you, or anyone else, heard of Dr. Bronner's soaps and lotions?? If so, what has your experience been? I hear their line of products work wonders for blemish prone skin.