Notifications
Clear all

Please Take A Look At Your Toothpaste. Not Only Talking About Sls

MemberMember
(@brain85)

Posted : 05/18/2013 7:08 pm

The past few weeks I've been getting painful pimples around my mouth. I can feel them developing for a few days and then they turn into a huge painful pimple which then turns into a whitehead. I couldn't figure out what was causing these until I realized I changed my toothpaste recently to Jason Powersmile (fluoride and SLS free). Well, I decided to look at the ingredients and saw that carrageenan was one of the top main ingredients. It is rated a 5 (highest) on the list of comedogenic ingredients!!!!

So now I switched back to my sensodyne pronamel. Just because you get an SLS free toothpaste doesn't mean it doesn't have even higher comedogenic ingredients in it. Look at the labels!!

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 05/18/2013 8:26 pm

I've been wondering the same thing. I've been using all natural KIss my Face Triple action toothpaste and keep getting awful pimples at the corners of my mouth. Ingredient list if anyone knows if there's anything bad in it.

Sorbitol, Glycerin, Hydrated Silica, Water, Xylitol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract*, Aesculus Hippocastanum (Horse Chestnut) Seed Extract, Melaleuca Alternafolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Extract, Olea Europaea (Olive) Leaf Extract, Ubiquinone (Co-Q10), Stevia Rebaudiana Extract, Flavor, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Ammonium Glycyrrhizate (Licorice), Xanthan Gum, Menthol, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Chlorophyllin- Copper Complex, Potassium Sorbate.

MemberMember
(@brain85)

Posted : 05/18/2013 8:30 pm

Yeah it could be one of those ingredients clogging your pores. I like sensodyne because it has a little amount of ingredients and none of them are comedogenic

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 05/18/2013 10:39 pm

SLS was the major irritant for me because it was causing persistent redness and discoloration around my mouth. But then I switched to jason, and even though the redness went away, my gums became more sensitive and would bleed everytime I brushed. Now I switched to sensodyne gentle whitening and it works for me (no SLS), but I still get the occasional pimple around my mouth. Not sure if it's from the toothpaste though.

@melmel87: I haven't had much luck with those brands (jason, kissmyface) and found that they weakened my tooth enamel. From the ingredients list you posted, I see 2 potential irritants. One is Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, which is a foaming agent that is milder than SLS but some people react to it. The other is Chlorophyllin, which is a chlorophyl derivative that some people are sensitive to. Overall, though, I don't see anything harmful in the list of ingredients, but you might just be sensitive to something that is not necessarily considered "bad."

MemberMember
(@brain85)

Posted : 05/18/2013 10:44 pm

SLS was the major irritant for me because it was causing persistent redness and discoloration around my mouth. But then I switched to jason, and even though the redness went away, my gums became more sensitive and would bleed everytime I brushed. Now I switched to sensodyne gentle whitening and it works for me (no SLS), but I still get the occasional pimple around my mouth. Not sure if it's from the toothpaste though.

@melmel87: I haven't had much luck with those brands (jason, kissmyface) and found that they weakened my tooth enamel. From the ingredients list you posted, I see 2 potential irritants. One is Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, which is a foaming agent that is milder than SLS but some people react to it. The other is Chlorophyllin, which is a chlorophyl derivative that some people are sensitive to. Overall, though, I don't see anything harmful in the list of ingredients, but you might just be sensitive to something that is not necessarily considered "bad."

100% agree with you. I'm sticking with sensodyne pronamel. I use the non whitening one because there is something in the whitening one that causes slight irritation and sometimes redness.

When I was using Jason, my teeth became more sensitive and looked more yellow too.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 05/18/2013 10:55 pm

100% agree with you. I'm sticking with sensodyne pronamel. I use the non whitening one because there is something in the whitening one that causes slight irritation and sometimes redness.

When I was using Jason, my teeth became more sensitive and looked more yellow too.

Haven't tried the pronamel one...I might do that when I run out of the whitening one. I agree that whitening toothpastes are usually not the best for acne sufferers...I just haven't had too much trouble with the sensodyne one. But I did get some redness with a travel size sensodyne, can't remember which one it was.

Yes, Jason seems like a good choice theoretically but sadly most "natural" toothpastes are not good for the teeth! Maybe they are good for acne, but will not prevent cavities and tooth enamel erosion. Not to mention that some of them, like Toms of Mayne, have SLS and other irritants.

MemberMember
(@brain85)

Posted : 05/18/2013 11:00 pm

Haven't tried the pronamel one...I might do that when I run out of the whitening one. I agree that whitening toothpastes are usually not the best for acne sufferers...I just haven't had too much trouble with the sensodyne one. But I did get some redness with a travel size sensodyne, can't remember which one it was.

Yes, Jason seems like a good choice theoretically but sadly most "natural" toothpastes are not good for the teeth! Maybe they are good for acne, but will not prevent cavities and tooth enamel erosion. Not to mention that some of them, like Toms of Mayne, have SLS and other irritants.

Well, as stated in the OP, the Jason actually causes major breakouts for me around The mouth due to having a highly comedogenic ingredient.

I like the pronamel because it has extra protection for the enamel and actually rebuilds it, plus it has very little ingredients and non are comedogenic