Notifications
Clear all

12 Years On: What Has Worked For Me

MemberMember
(@bob-sacamano)

Posted : 04/29/2013 9:58 am

Hi everyone, I just wanted to share my regimen in case it might help someone. First, a little background:

- I'm 24 and have had acne since I was 12 (face, chest, back);

- Acne on my back was very severe which has left me with quite a collection of nasty scars, face ranged from mild to moderate; chest cleared up after the first round of Accutane;

Like many of you, I've tried most treatments/supplements that are available: the standard antibiotics, topicals, Accutane (twice), natural remedies, vitamins, teas, etc, etc... I can't even list all of the stuff that I've tried anymore. Nothing really worked permanently, after both rounds of Accutane the acne came back on my face and back. So after some research I came up with a pretty simple regimen, here's what I use:

- A cleanser with salicylic acid;

- SPF 15 moisturizer in the morning, normal one in the evening;

- Ibuleve 10% gel;

- A gel with 0.1% Adapalene/2.5% BP (Epiduo);

- Pure Aloe Vera gel as an after-shave;

- Uriage Hyseac anti blemish cream;

And that's it. No, it didn't "cure" my acne or anything, but my face is much better than before, it's the first time my acne is under control without antibiotics/accutane. Here's what I do in more detail:

Morning:

- Clean and moisturize my face, apply the Uriage cream and then a very fine layer of Ibuleve.

Night:

- Same as above, replace the Ibuleve with Epiduo.

On days where I shave I skip the Epiduo and apply the aloe vera gel instead.

I have very dry skin thanks to the accutane so I never tolerated the standard BP well, it made my face look terrible. With this regimen it hasn't been an issue, I don't flake 90% of the time. When I do, I simply skip one application of either Ibuleve or Epiduo. You can try different variations though, for example:

Ibuleve 2x a day and Epiduo 1x a day, alternating days. Or both once a day, alternating days, etc....

I can't stress how important the SPF moisturizer is, btw. Especially for those who, like me, have dry skin coupled with acne. Your face will age BADLY if you're not extra careful with sun exposure, that I can gurantee. Anyway, hope this helps someone and any questions, just ask.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 04/29/2013 10:50 am

A gel with 0.1% Adapalene/2.5% BP (Epiduo) + A cleanser with salicylic acid are helping u,i suppose.

how long have u been following this routine?

happy for u.

cheers!

MemberMember
(@bob-sacamano)

Posted : 04/29/2013 11:13 am

A gel with 0.1% Adapalene/2.5% BP (Epiduo) + A cleanser with salicylic acid are helping u,i suppose.

how long have u been following this routine?

happy for u.

cheers!

As it is, about a month and a half (my derm suggested the Epiduo and the Hyseac cream las time I went).

Before that I was using the Ibuleve 2x a day and it worked pretty well, in fact if I drop the Epiduo there isn't that much of a difference.

The Aloe Vera is pretty important as well for me - before I'd always get a few spots the day after shaving.

Cheers.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 04/29/2013 12:32 pm

sorry.i've no idea what Ibuleve is?

MemberMember
(@bob-sacamano)

Posted : 04/29/2013 12:48 pm

On 4/29/2013 at 11:32 PM, aanabill said:

sorry.i've no idea what Ibuleve is?

Topical Ibuprofen.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ibuleve-Ibuprofen-Gel-Maximum-Strength/dp/B001RYQMT6/