Notifications
Clear all

Need Help - Hormonal?

MemberMember
(@g14)

Posted : 02/16/2013 12:45 am

Hey guys,

I haven't had really bad acne until the beginning of my senior year in high school, and it seems to only get worst.

At the beginning of college this year I was doing alright until winter break, but during the break I've seemed to break out on my cheeks and it seems to not have gone away yet. Here's a pic:

2llykn8.jpg

That's not the worst part. The front of my face looks horrid and I do not know what treatment will work best. It just hurts to look at it in the mirror every morning and it hasn't gone away in a really long time. And these red marks that are bleeding are a result of lemon juice which I have applied for the last month, but that thing that concerns me is that although this acne does heal, they always leave dark marks or red spots that I can never get rid of even though I don't pick at it. Most of the redness on my face I don't feel bumps, but they're just dark spots that NEVER ever go away. Any advice on products I should use?

t0jaqu.jpg

MemberMember
(@random1)

Posted : 02/16/2013 2:20 am

So are you saying its not so much the breakouts that concern you, mainly the spots that are left after they have healed?

MemberMember
(@g14)

Posted : 02/16/2013 10:08 am

Yep, I'm more troubled by spots left by acne than the acne itself

MemberMember
(@veiledxbeauty)

Posted : 02/16/2013 12:05 pm

Hello g14! Well, it looks like you have both marks left by acne and active lesions. I would treat the active over the inactive to prevent further damage and possible scarring. I know it's really hard to have to look at the marks left over, but you must take care of the root problem first if you're going to see lasting results. grinwink.gif

If you haven't already, I would stop using irritating lemon juice to treat; your skin looks dry and inflamed at present, and lemon juice will only prolong it. Do you currently use a cleanser? If not, I would find a very gentle formulation so as not to irritate your breakout. I use CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser in the winter and CeraVe Foaming Cleanser in the summer for the different climates. They work excellently in conjunction with Sulfur treatments and/or low percentages of Salicylic Acid or Benzoyl Peroxide (though from experience, B.P. can actually prolong acne marks on darker/more sensitive skin types). It all depends on what you find your skin can handle without becoming sensitized.

Remember: less trauma=calmer skin.

Now, for treatment of your red marks, which should presumably lessen with the treatment of your acne, I have used chemical peels, which can be done at home or at a Dermatologist's office (at home is SO much less expensive). Keep in mind though: chemical peels tend to "push out" any acne that has remained under the skin, so treating your acne over the marks first and foremost is recommended. If chemical peels aren't for you, there are many other topical methods of treatment mentioned on this site. You could even leave them alone and let them heal in their own good time! I hope this helps you! I know how annoying and painful breakouts like these can be. Hang in there...smile.png

g14 liked
MemberMember
(@abstractfactory)

Posted : 02/16/2013 12:11 pm

What veiledxbeauty said. And maybe wear some suncreen when you're out and about. I have the same problem as you - I'll get a big red cyst which itself doesn't last too long, but it does leave a reminder that stays for ages. You just have to be patient.

g14 liked
MemberMember
(@g14)

Posted : 02/16/2013 1:17 pm

Thanks for the responses, I'm in college right now so it's hard to access a dermatologist so I have to resort to at-home remedies.

I'm currently using Cetaphil's Daily Cleanser and GNC's aloe vera moisturizing cream. I recently bought Neutrogena's pore refining exfoliating scrub that contains AHA and BHA so hopefully that can smoothen out the complexion of my skin

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 02/16/2013 5:14 pm

De La Cruz Sulfur Ointment. Get it at Walgreens. Helps with both the actives and the complexion.