Notifications
Clear all

What Type Of Acne Do I Have? (Please Help?)

MemberMember
(@somerandomguy121)

Posted : 12/04/2012 7:51 pm

Hey guys, I'm pretty new here, but I'll try to keep this short and straightforward.

I have never ever before had acne, and I really am confused with what I have and where to go from here on the best way to treat it. (If it makes anything easier, I'm a boy who just turned 16 who lives in Australia. (I've attached a couple photos of the areas acne is affecting me - both of my cheeks) post-191703-0-81489200-1354668360_thumb.post-191703-0-77861600-1354668363_thumb.

Thanks in advance :P

Oh, also! I should have included this before.

Here are the two products I use on a day to day basis (usually 2-3 times per day)

This is for cleansing: [Removed]

And this is what I use to moisturise: [Removed]

post-191703-0-81489200-1354668360_thumb.

post-191703-0-77861600-1354668363_thumb.

MemberMember
(@fragilesong)

Posted : 12/04/2012 8:41 pm

It looks like you have some nodulocystic acne going on.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/acne/ss/slideshow-acne-dictionary -- that is a good resource for trying to figure out where you fall on the acne scale.

I've heard that type of gel moisturizer has ingredients (that are used to stabilize the consistency) that can make acne worse, the same with that facial wash. I don't know about the availability of products in Australia, but a simple facial soap & moisturizer combo like CeraVe or Cetaphil may be more helpful.

MemberMember
(@somerandomguy121)

Posted : 12/04/2012 11:34 pm

Could you please give me a reccomendation for each?

I honestly have no idea where to even begin.

Maybe some good brands, I'm sure that the brands that would be available in the U.S carry out to Aus. as well.

Also, is what I have very bad?

(I.e. am ai going to look ugly for the rest of my life now?)

MemberMember
(@relentless-rasta)

Posted : 12/05/2012 2:04 pm

Could you please give me a reccomendation for each?

I honestly have no idea where to even begin.

Maybe some good brands, I'm sure that the brands that would be available in the U.S carry out to Aus. as well.

Also, is what I have very bad?

(I.e. am ai going to look ugly for the rest of my life now?)

What you have is not very bad it could be a lot worse, and you are not ugly please dont ever think that. You have a lot of hyperpigmentation and a few active spots what you could try which helped me a great deal is upping your dosage of zinc and vitimin c ( 1000mg effervescent ). Use a genetle wash like centaphil wash or I use dove which has been super friendly to my skin. I minimise when I mosturise as most break me out only unless very dry/flaky will i consider it ( until my skin regulates back to its former self if it does that is ) dont pop or pick spots, scars are a lot harder to deal with!

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 12/05/2012 2:15 pm

First place to go to clear up acne: diet! Changing your diet is almost always a cure over time for many people, because mostly everything that can cause acne (hormones, stress, intolerances, acidity) can be affected through diet. What is your lifestyle like? And do not feel ugly! You are so young, enjoy life, don't stress so much about your skin (easier said than done, but life is so much MORE than acne!)

MemberMember
(@somerandomguy121)

Posted : 12/05/2012 5:59 pm

Thanks you two, it helps more than you could possibly imagine!

I'm definitely either going to get a much more gentle cleanser and moisturiser, or if I can, get some sort of natural cleanser, as I heard those are better for you.

To answer the second person's question, I live a fairly active lifestyle, I do currently do cycling and train/race about 3 times a week for about 3 hours respectively, however, when it is a large week I could be exposed to the sun getting as much as maybe say, 14 hours a week like last week. Though this isn't particuarly common, it still happens every so often because of big carnivals.

Thanks again guys, I'll keep trying! (:

There's a typo up there,

* I train/race 3 times for 3 hours per day

MemberMember
(@relentless-rasta)

Posted : 12/05/2012 8:48 pm

Have a look on lush.com if your looking for a more natural cleanser, very good products ship to pretty much most countrys! Here's the cleansers section https://www.lush.co.uk/category/275

MemberMember
(@skintone)

Posted : 12/05/2012 9:49 pm

First place to go to clear up acne: diet! Changing your diet is almost always a cure over time for many people, because mostly everything that can cause acne (hormones, stress, intolerances, acidity) can be affected through diet. What is your lifestyle like? And do not feel ugly! You are so young, enjoy life, don't stress so much about your skin (easier said than done, but life is so much MORE than acne!)

Must agree with this. My acne got much better after a change in diet. Especially less sugar and carbohydrates which sugar.

MemberMember
(@somerandomguy121)

Posted : 12/06/2012 8:33 am

What would be some good reasonable dinners/lunches to be having then?

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/08/2012 1:55 pm

Hey guys, I'm pretty new here, but I'll try to keep this short and straightforward.

I have never ever before had acne, and I really am confused with what I have and where to go from here on the best way to treat it. (If it makes anything easier, I'm a boy who just turned 16 who lives in Australia. (I've attached a couple photos of the areas acne is affecting me - both of my cheeks) post-191703-0-81489200-1354668360_thumb.post-191703-0-77861600-1354668363_thumb.

Thanks in advance tongue.png

Oh, also! I should have included this before.

Here are the two products I use on a day to day basis (usually 2-3 times per day)

This is for cleansing: http://img.myshoppin...jBCQkM0N_EuanBn

And this is what I use to moisturise:

You have the type of acne that is cleared by zinc.

MemberMember
(@somerandomguy121)

Posted : 12/09/2012 2:55 am

How do you know that Ichance23? Could you provide a little more information so I can see what you mean exactly?

(Or anyone else for that matter, would taking Zinc help?)

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/09/2012 12:18 pm

How do you know that Ichance23? Could you provide a little more information so I can see what you mean exactly?

(Or anyone else for that matter, would taking Zinc help?)

take 60 mg zinc and your acne will improve 90%. take some iron with it too so you don't get anemic. i have the same type of acne and it was cured by zinc. look at this study and look at it carefully: http://archderm.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=536705

85% percent improvement in acne. basically zinc can help any type of acne. good luck my friend. im sure you will clear your acne.

MemberMember
(@somerandomguy121)

Posted : 12/09/2012 4:47 pm

Okay, I will do. What you've provided seems relevant and trustworthy, thank you friend!

Also... this is just a suggestion, but I believe I may have found a photo that is extremely similar to what I have.

[Removed]

It may be very well possible that what I have isn't actually acne, but f

olliculitis

. (If anyone wants to argue with me otherwise, you're welcome to)

I find it that when my facial hairs begin to grow out a bit, my entire face becomes uncomfortable, and the feeling won't quite go away until I properly moisturise and then shave my face cleanly.