Notifications
Clear all

Drugs Targeting The Sebaceous Gland

MemberMember
(@wotever)

Posted : 02/08/2012 2:30 am

Does anyone know of anything serious in the pipeline for regulating the sebaceous gland? I am really thinking systemic treatments rather than topical. Topicals such as ASC-J9 could potentially have merit but something that acts on sebaceous glands at a systemic level (e.g. preventing them from responding to androgens) would seem like a better solution.

I am presuming that SMT D002 is dead in the water. Only other vaguely promising one I have come across is isoprenylcysteine:

IPC analogs have also been shown to modulate GPCR signaling, suggesting a potential role in regulating sebum control through inhibition of the GPCR melanocortin 5 receptor (MC5R) (critical for sebaceous gland lipogenesis)
MemberMember
(@cervantes86)

Posted : 02/10/2012 7:39 pm

yeah i saw the ascj9 results, and they werent so impressive. like lesions counts went down avg by 45 percent. thats why they are holding another trial at a higher concentration now.

MemberMember
(@wotever)

Posted : 10/28/2012 3:33 pm

Bit dubious about this, but it claims to be a 5a-reductase inhibitor and to have reduced sebum production by >50% in a trial...

http://www.dsm.com/en_US/downloads/dnpna/DNPNA_PC_953-01_Factsheet_ALP-SEBUM_6203.pdf

MemberMember
(@theramopoloy)

Posted : 11/20/2012 12:16 am

Why wouldn't 5a-reductase inhibitors like Dutasteride reduce sebum, but this drug does?