Notifications
Clear all

I Am Acne-Prone And I Want To Build Muscles, How?

MemberMember
(@wokaka)

Posted : 10/03/2011 4:46 am

hi everyone, im basically new to using supplement for body building. Since about 2 months ago I've been using 100% gold standard whey (removed) and jack3d (removed), but I realize one of these two (or both) supplements are giving me consistent acne breakouts. If I try my best to eat healthy and don't use supplement at all, I would only grow acne once every 2-3 weeks and sometimes they are just pimples. But ever since I bought these supplements, I always grow acne at least once a week, sometimes more, and they are always large acnes. If I dont eat healthy and consume these supplements, I would even grow 3 acnes in a week!

As of now Im consuming 2 scoops of whey protein daily and when I go to gym I add one more scoop (after exercise). I go to gym 4 times a week and I have personal trainer.

I consume jack3d only before exercise session, which mean I consume it 4 times a week.

I've asked my dermatologist and she said that I should stop consuming whey protein because it cause hormon instability. Therefore, acne-prone people like me would have new acnes consistently. I really want to build my muscles, even if I need way more time (like 2 years) it's still fine with me, as long as I CAN build my muscles. I don't need to look really buff, but at least a bit buff because originally I'm skinny.

My questions are:

1. Do you know any other supplement brand that won't cause hormon instability so I can safely consume it and have no fear of growing new acne?

2. When I told my doctor that I still want to build my body, she said that maybe I can try by reducing the consumption of these supplements. She said I can start with only 1 scoop of whey protein daily and 2 scoop when there's exercise. Anyone of you have acne-prone skin and reduce your whey supplement intake and never grow any serious acne anymore?

3. If let's say there's no other option, do you think switching to natural foods would do it? I was thinking maybe I can start with consuming chicken breast, egg white, salmon, soy milk, etc. would it help me to gain muscle but at the same time they would help me to stop my acne breakouts?

If yes to the 3rd question, how many of these "foods" do I need daily to replace my regular protein intake? (2 scoops daily, and one extra scoop every exercise session)

PS: I know some of you would think I'm ridiculous because there are a lot of people out there who are also acne-prone but never grow anything on their face after using supplement. Problem is, I'm one of the unfortunate that get acne breakouts by consuming whey supplement.

MemberMember
(@avenger)

Posted : 10/03/2011 6:22 am

Whey protein does not effect hormonal levels. Weight lifting however increases testosterone levels, but those levels return to normal shortly after you finish a workout.

Do you take whey protein with milk or water? Many people have found that cutting dairy from their diet has improved their acne, purely due to the hormones contained in dairy products. Dairy isn't essential for muscle building either, you can get calories and protein from other sources quite easily.

There's no real need to supplement though, and if you're worried a supplement will break you out, or already has done it's probably a good idea to avoid it. For all you know it could be an allergic reaction?

If you have recently changed your diet to a high caloric in-take, without giving your body enough time to adjust, could potentially increase your risk of acne/breakouts.

In response to question 3, it could potentially help with your acne breakouts because they are non-inflammatory foods.

MemberMember
(@wokaka)

Posted : 10/03/2011 6:31 am

Hi Avenger, thank you so much for your response ^^

I do take whey protein with water, never with milk.

OK, I have new questions...

1. Whey protein shouldn't have any effect on hormonal balance. If, by any mean, it cause acne breakout, it MUST be an allergic reaction?

2. I still consumed dairy product several times per month, like yoghurt once every 2 weeks or so, cereal with low fat milk, etc. I guess I can easily stop all consumption of dairy products. No big deal and let's see how it goes..I still have a bit of doubt regarding dairy products though as I rarely consume it and I grow acne quite easily ever since I use whey protein supplement

3. I read somewhere that white egg and chicken breast MIGHT cause acne breakout too. I'm not sure about this because usually I only eat 1 chicken breast every few days so I honestly don't know if I eat a lot of chicken breast/white egg daily would it cause acne breakout or not...

4. If dairy and chicken products CAN cause acne breakout, then what should I eat to fulfill my protein needs?

5. I'm 23 now and to be honest in the past one and half year I grow acne way easier than ever before. Two years or three years before I can easily eat everything and rarely grow acne, but ever since one and half year ago I grow acne like crazy. I have everything under control after limited myself to not eat almost everything that's issued to cause acne. However, in the past 2 months, things are going bad again ever since I go to gym sad.png My question is, do you think when I get older I can stop acne from breaking out?

MemberMember
(@avenger)

Posted : 10/03/2011 6:55 am

Hey

Whey protein is a food, a supplement just contains a higher concentrated amount. I've never heard whey protein to be a cause of acne but It could be something else in the supplement that could cause a breakout - if you're positive that it's the supplement that is causing your acne. You could try different brands? Natural whey is a good choice.

Dairy isn't the main cause of acne for some people, but again, a fair few have reported that it helps their condition. It's worth experimenting.

I don't think chicken is the cause of your breakouts, unless you're allergic to it which is unlikely. There are other lean meats with good sources of protein though, turkey, beef, pork etc. tuna etc are great sources of protein and are low in fat.

Three years ago your metabolism was at its peak, so you could get away with eating whatever you pleased wink.png

MemberMember
(@wokaka)

Posted : 10/03/2011 7:11 am

hey what do you mean with natural whey? When I googled for "natural whey" all the listings are for "100% gold whey standard" (by optimumnutrition) and honestly this IS the whey protein im consuming atm saywhat.gif

Just so you know I also consume jack3D every time before exercising (4 times exercise a week), and I get acne at least once a week, do you think it's a good idea to stop taking Jack3D but maintain my consumption of 100% gold whey standard by optimumnutrition?

My dermatologist told me that this thing is the one that cause me breakouts consistently. I dont know if I can 100% trust her or not because she's a dermatologist so for sure without acne means no business for her. Im not a conspiracy theorist though so I still consider her opinion..

Hey thanks for recommending me all these protein sources. I would like your opinion on my supplements first (100% gold whey standard and jack3d) because honestly I still want to give a chance to my whey protein one more time before I switch to natural protein intake (IF it's proven that my whey protein cause me breakout)

MemberMember
(@avenger)

Posted : 10/03/2011 8:05 am

Stop taking the supps for a week and see if your acne improves. If it does, it could be the supps causing your breakouts, in which case you can look for supplements that don't cause you breakouts. Trial and error.

jack3d has caffine in, which again affects some people with acne.

MemberMember
(@wokaka)

Posted : 10/03/2011 8:24 am

hi there, actually i hadn't any breakout in 10 days. My last breakout was yesterday and the previous one before that was 11 days ago (and I never reduce my supplements intake).

So actually if I stop taking the supplements for a week, I honestly won't be able to judge anything...

Maybe you can help me with what I ate 2 days ago..

i ate pork satay, not sure if satay can break me out but probably it contained high fat so it made me breakout? I am also wondering, does sugar (as sweetener) help acnes to breakout? In the past 9-10 days before yesterday I reduced my sugar intake (except from carb) but last weekend I ordered orange-coconut juice and as usual in restaurant they always serve with sweetener. I also drank soft drink (root beer in A&W) also I ate beef burger (A&W as well).

Honestly, not sure if these stuffs that I ate on Saturday caused me to breakout on Sunday or it's accumulated with what I've eaten in the past one and half week, really not sure, I honestly want to know...

edit: Before yesterday, I always had new acne at least once a week (sometimes more) and they were all big acnes. Just that the interval between last 2 outbreaks was finally 11 days (before then, it had been always 5-6 days). I'm not sure what has helped me and what not

MemberMember
(@ph12ivos)

Posted : 01/06/2013 9:58 am

hi there, actually i hadn't any breakout in 10 days. My last breakout was yesterday and the previous one before that was 11 days ago (and I never reduce my supplements intake).

So actually if I stop taking the supplements for a week, I honestly won't be able to judge anything...

Maybe you can help me with what I ate 2 days ago..

i ate pork satay, not sure if satay can break me out but probably it contained high fat so it made me breakout? I am also wondering, does sugar (as sweetener) help acnes to breakout? In the past 9-10 days before yesterday I reduced my sugar intake (except from carb) but last weekend I ordered orange-coconut juice and as usual in restaurant they always serve with sweetener. I also drank soft drink (root beer in A&W) also I ate beef burger (A&W as well).

Honestly, not sure if these stuffs that I ate on Saturday caused me to breakout on Sunday or it's accumulated with what I've eaten in the past one and half week, really not sure, I honestly want to know...

edit: Before yesterday, I always had new acne at least once a week (sometimes more) and they were all big acnes. Just that the interval between last 2 outbreaks was finally 11 days (before then, it had been always 5-6 days). I'm not sure what has helped me and what not

so what happened in the end? what did you do? did just lifting weights cause you to break out?