Notifications
Clear all

Bay Area Facial Surgeon for Lesion Excision?

MemberMember
(@k909126275gmail-com)

Posted : 07/15/2020 11:01 pm

Hello,

I have a 4-5mm lesion on my temple that I want to excised. Does anyone have experience with excision of the temple area? Also, am I correct to think that plastic surgeons are better than dermatologists in terms of minimizing scarring?

Any recommended surgeonsin the Bay Area?

Thank you.

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 07/18/2020 7:04 pm

On 7/15/2020 at 9:01 PM, k9091 said:

Hello,

I have a 4-5mm lesion on my temple that I want to excised. Does anyone have experience with excision of the temple area? Also, am I correct to think that plastic surgeons are better than dermatologists in terms of minimizing scarring?

Any recommended surgeonsin the Bay Area?

Thank you.

The temple has less fat and more tension so you risk having a wider scar than if you got it done somewhere else. One of my friends got a scar on the temple (where the glasses arm is) from a sports accident and got an excision. She was happy about it but the final linear scar was not invisible.

I don't know the shape of your lesion but that could determine how the doctor cuts it out. If it's larger, I believe an elliptical shape will be cut out rather than a punch or circular excision. This is so when your skin is stitched back up, it will look more aesthetically pleasing.

Just remember that when you get an excision, you trade a scar for a scar. I believe most people are ultimately happier getting it done, but don't expect a fine linear scar even though you may get one.

I believe plastic surgeons have more experience with cosmetic excisions but I know some dermatologists who would disagree. Maybe look on Yelp? Although that's not the most accurate. Some doctors with really good 5-star ratings are not good with certain things including suturing.