Notifications
Clear all

TCA Treatment Gone Wrong

MemberMember
(@preciousrubies)

Posted : 06/29/2020 6:48 am

Hi All,

I had a TCA CROSS treatment done today with an experienced doctor. The TCA was 90%, but something went wrong with the syringe and the TCA leaked a bit on my neck and also on my under-eye. The doctor wiped it off straight away and covered it with vaseline, and he said it should be fine and will just peel off, but I've read that if TCA is dropped on normal, unscarred areas of the skin, then it can cause its own new scarring. I'm terrified that I'm going to end up with fresh scars on my neck and under my eye. Anyone know what I should expect? For reference, I have caucasian skin.

MemberMember
(@jack817)

Posted : 06/29/2020 1:41 pm

I think the best you can do now is to use Vaseline multiple times a day to keep the wound wet and hope it won't scar. Also, reaching out to your derm for further instruction.

FYI, My derm has used excessive TCA 90% on two of my ice pick scars, which hasjoined them together and formed a larger liner scar. It is 6 months now after the procedure, and my scar is till somewhat red, and not filled in. I have skin type III/IV

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 06/29/2020 3:13 pm

8 hours ago, PreciousRubies said:

Hi All,

I had a TCA CROSS treatment done today with an experienced doctor. The TCA was 90%, but something went wrong with the syringe and the TCA leaked a bit on my neck and also on my under-eye. The doctor wiped it off straight away and covered it with vaseline, and he said it should be fine and will just peel off, but I've read that if TCA is dropped on normal, unscarred areas of the skin, then it can cause its own new scarring. I'm terrified that I'm going to end up with fresh scars on my neck and under my eye. Anyone know what I should expect? For reference, I have caucasian skin.

Now you know why Dr Lim switched from the syringe to the brush. BTW are we talking about a tiny drop or a large spill? If former, don't worry about it. I've experimented many times with 100% TCA for nearly2 years and it will not cause a new scar. That's not to say it can't happen, but very unlikely if it's only a very tiny drop.

BTW acne scar revision is an invasive process. It comes with risks and complications. Sometimes, you will end up with new scars. If you're not willing to accept any risk, then you should accept your scars as they are and simply go on with your life.