Notifications
Clear all

Are subcision + microneedling right for my scars?

MemberMember
(@npbm)

Posted : 01/29/2017 9:47 pm

I'm hoping to get some feedback on 1) the type of scars I have, and 2) whether the treatments I'm looking into are right for my scars. I can't exactly tell whether my scars are boxcar or rolling based off of google images, especially in normal lighting. I've attached a bunch of photos -- I have several blemishes because I had been off my regular skin regiment for a couple month so keep that in mind. Also, my skin is pretty irritated since it's getting used to the Retin-A again.

Would subcision be appropriate for my scars? I plan on scheduling a consultation with Dr. Yang next month, but I'd like to know if anyone with scars similar to mine had success with this procedure. I was wondering if 2 subcisions w/ suctioning + 3-4 microneedling sessions might yield a 50% improvement over the course of a year? I'm not really interested in fillers, and since I have asian skin I won't consider lasers.

I appreciate any feedback -- thanks guys.

IMG_3307.JPG

IMG_3322.JPG

IMG_3326.JPG

IMG_3331.JPG

IMG_3308.JPG

IMG_3323.JPG

IMG_3327.JPG

IMG_3330.JPG

George26 liked
MemberMember
(@quanhenry)

Posted : 01/29/2017 10:50 pm

I think your plan to do subcision with needling is the right path to take, and Dr Yang has a good reputation.

Its hard to say how much improvement to expect, but there should be noticeable results within a year.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 01/30/2017 2:09 am

Great candidate

George26 liked
MemberMember
(@keving100)

Posted : 02/01/2017 11:32 am

On 1/30/2017 at 8:47 AM, npbm said:

I'm hoping to get some feedback on 1) the type of scars I have, and 2) whether the treatments I'm looking into are right for my scars. I can't exactly tell whether my scars are boxcar or rolling based off of google images, especially in normal lighting. I've attached a bunch of photos -- I have several blemishes because I had been off my regular skin regiment for a couple month so keep that in mind. Also, my skin is pretty irritated since it's getting used to the Retin-A again.

Would subcision be appropriate for my scars? I plan on scheduling a consultation with Dr. Yang next month, but I'd like to know if anyone with scars similar to mine had success with this procedure. I was wondering if 2 subcisions w/ suctioning + 3-4 microneedling sessions might yield a 50% improvement over the course of a year? I'm not really interested in fillers, and since I have asian skin I won't consider lasers.

I appreciate any feedback -- thanks guys.

IMG_3307.JPG

IMG_3322.JPG

IMG_3326.JPG

IMG_3331.JPG

IMG_3308.JPG

IMG_3323.JPG

IMG_3327.JPG

IMG_3330.JPG

Keep in mind Dr Yang is very expensive, but probably good. He charges $500 per dime size area to subcise.
here  is what her admin emailed me:

There are two types of treatment for acne scar available by Dr. Yang.  They are traditional subcision and filler with subcision.  Rolling scar on the cheek area can work well with traditional subcision, but there are risks for lumps and the longevity of the results are, although, not clear, they are not permanent. Rolling scar anywhere else on the face such as forehead and temples or Boxcar scars any where on the face will not yield much results.  For those areas, filler with subcision would be the better treatment. Ice pick cars would not work with any of the methods.

Dr. Yang does tend to side with fillers since the results are much more predictable, the recovery is much more tolerable and acceptable for the patient, and it is reversible with the use of a dissolver.

Here is a website which explains in detail the two different types of subcision and some before and after photos. Dr. Yang has more photos which the patients have only given permission to only show during a consultation.

[Edited link out]

Depending on what your goals are, the type of scars you have and how big of an area that is being treated, one or more sessions of subcision may be required.  During the consultation with Dr. Yang, he  will be able to explain which method will be the best treatment for you along with showing you pictures of his patients who have had the same procedures.   

As for the cost of traditional subcision, the areas are measured in dime sizes. Each dime size area subcised costs $500.  For the cost of subcision with filler, there are two types of fillers that can be used which are Restylane and Juvederm. Restylane comes in two sizes, .5cc  syringe cost $550 and 1cc syringe cost $800.  Juvederm comes in two sizes, .4cc syringe cost $550 and 1cc syringe cost $850. With the smaller size syringe of either filler, 3 dime size areas are included with the syringe and 6 dime size areas are included with the larger syringe.  Any additional dime size area subcised with the same syringe of filler will be $100 each, if needed.

Restylane and Juvederm are not permanent fillers but they do last in the area for a long time.  Once the fillers are absorbed by the body, it is replaced by the collagen that your body makes which is what will keep the scars "popped" out.  There is a permanent filler used called Bellafill, previously known as Artefill.  This filler will require an allergy test which is performed here in the office.  There is a mandatory waiting period of about a month to make sure there is no reaction since the filler is made from cow collagen. It only comes in one size which is .8cc which cost $1,200 per syringe.

Depending on which subcision procedure you will do, will determine your downtime.  The fillers is about a week of down time while the traditional subcision can take several weeks to even months depending on how many dime size areas you are looking to subcise.