Notifications
Clear all

Dermabrasion At Home

MemberMember
(@sachin-sharma)

Posted : 01/04/2014 11:10 pm

Can dermabrasion be done at home by natural products. I have read few articles about rubbing Baking Soda + water on face can reduce scars. Is this possible? Any practical advice?

MemberMember
(@skinnie)

Posted : 01/04/2014 11:55 pm

I wouldn't put baking soda on your face. It's very basic and your skin is acidic -- you would be comprimising your natural skin barrier. Look into ordering a dermaroller instead, if you're talking about pitted scars/indentaions. For temporary relief, using a good moisturizer with water binding ingredients can plump up the skin and diminish the appearance of pitted scarring. Such scarring occurs because of scar tissue; scar treatments usually increase collagen production and promote the breakdown of said scar tissue. Most treatments for scarring are quite expensive. However, if you're talking about red marks, chemical exfoliation can be cheaper/a godsend for those. Products with salicylic acid for example. For manual exfoliation, try the clarisonic. Make sure you're using sunscreen -- that definitely helps as well.

*disclaimer: I'm not a physician. Best advice? Go to the dermatologist and voice your concerns!

MemberMember
(@sachin-sharma)

Posted : 01/05/2014 12:01 am

Yeah, I will sure go to dermatologist for this. I am just looking for some economical efforts at home. Few months ago one dermatologist also suggested me Dermaroller but only after cure of my acne. My acne re-appear after 3 to 4 months after completion of course. He says, some people cannot get rid of acne throughout their life.... :(

MemberMember
(@skinnie)

Posted : 01/05/2014 12:29 am

Yeah, I will sure go to dermatologist for this. I am just looking for some economical efforts at home. Few months ago one dermatologist also suggested me Dermaroller but only after cure of my acne. My acne re-appear after 3 to 4 months after completion of course. He says, some people cannot get rid of acne throughout their life.... sad.png

Yes, you need to get rid of the acne before you worry about the scars. Start off with an over the counter benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid treatment with a simple non-drying, non-medicated facewash and moisturizer. Cetaphil is widely available throughout the world and is an inert line of facewashs/moisturizer that can work well with drying acne treatments. Try them for a couple of months, and use as directed for best results. If that doesn't work, go to the derm and try to follow their instructions. Retinoids can work really well to get rid of acne, though often, they may be used in conjunction with other products. For me, it was a combination of products. Spring/summer is usually the best time to start on retinoids as the natural humidity helps with the side effect of dryness (which can exacerbate acne, if not managed, in my opinion).

Did the derm prescribe or recommend a treatment for you when you visited a few months ago?

MemberMember
(@sachin-sharma)

Posted : 01/05/2014 2:04 am

I asked her about the types of treatment of scars and she said to me Laser treatment was much expensive and Dermaroller was cheaper but only after cure of Acne.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 01/05/2014 9:19 am

you could use salt soaked in water and let it sit there for about 10-15 min then massage your face lightly with it for 5-15 min

its a type of exfoliation that gets rid of blackheads and dead skin look it up

MemberMember
(@ricex)

Posted : 01/05/2014 3:53 pm

I do believe the BP selling on this site works like a charm against acne.

MemberMember
(@skinnie)

Posted : 01/08/2014 1:31 am

you could use salt soaked in water and let it sit there for about 10-15 min then massage your face lightly with it for 5-15 min

Don't use salt on your face. -_____- you'll literally tear up your skin.

I asked her about the types of treatment of scars and she said to me Laser treatment was much expensive and Dermaroller was cheaper but only after cure of Acne.

I meant for the acne? Did she prescribe or recommend any treatment for the acne, because as she said, you have to manage your acne first.

MemberMember
(@sachin-sharma)

Posted : 01/08/2014 2:34 am

of course, she made a course of Acutate 20mg .. 10 mg tablets for approx. 3 to 4 months.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 01/08/2014 11:12 am

>I asked her about the types of treatment of scars and she said to me Laser treatment was much expensive and Dermaroller was cheaper but only after cure of Acne.

I meant for the acne? Did she prescribe or recommend any treatment for the acne, because as she said, you have to manage your acne first.

salt is perfectly fine and works as a good exfoliate

MemberMember
(@sachin-sharma)

Posted : 01/08/2014 11:22 am

Salt? can it heal my deep scars?

Please see this image or go to my gallery to view my scar types.
MemberMember
(@ricex)

Posted : 01/08/2014 11:49 am

After seeing your picture I have a clearer understanding. I personally would not go to do laser treatment as in your situation those scars will require multiple procedures which adds up to possible over $1000. Heck, at the end it might only improved 25% for 10 laser treatment.

I do reckon you go to the DIY micro-needling route. Save $$ as well as slight improvement overtime.

I wish dermabrasion is available in the consumer grade level but there isn't really one. Micro-needling have real poven results and can be done at home for scars.

If you still have active acne then BP should work fine no poblem. Though don't use BP in conjunction/during to micro-needling, very dangerous.

As for serums during micro-needling, I recommend Copper Pepptides 1st generation. Works wonder for scars as well as real studies backing up on this product.

As always, Do Your Research on all of the above. I can't explain everthing here as my keyboard is broken and only typing with one hand on a touchscreen keypad.

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 01/08/2014 12:37 pm

or find a derm who will do subscision and you can do home suctioning -- check out the MrMatt posts, he has seen very good progess....I would do that for the deeper scars and then check out the owndoc.com forum and look into rolling yourself on the temple areas....it's not as scary as it sounds, it's cheap and down time is minimal

good luck to you!

MemberMember
(@sachin-sharma)

Posted : 01/08/2014 11:59 pm

Thanks all of you for your time and kind support :)

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 01/09/2014 7:47 am

and one more thought to you

Thanks all of you for your time and kind support smile.png

MemberMember
(@sachin-sharma)

Posted : 01/09/2014 12:32 pm

and one more thought to you

Thanks all of you for your time and kind support smile.png

the dose of accutane you were on, and the duration of treatment seems low (by US standards anyway).....20 msg a day for 6 months should be the minimum, but while you are on that you can't do any scar treatments

so if your current acne is cystic and severe AND you tolerated accutane well the first time, the go back on it higher and longer

again good luck to you, you have a great smile, you are a handsome man and you have the right attitude!

Thanks, this is really a kind appreciation and compliment I have ever received :)

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 01/09/2014 5:00 pm

Thank you for the pictures. It makes it a lot easier to recommend procedures. I agree that subcision, suction, and possibly filler for the deepest scars will help soften the shadowing that exaggerates the look of scars. I'm assuming you have darker Indian skintype, so lasers may be problematic, but not impossible.

MemberMember
(@u1971)

Posted : 01/09/2014 11:59 pm

I agree that subcision + suction (and maybe temporary fillers too) is the way to go. The first dramatic improvement case I ever saw for severe acne scars was obtained after subcision. A Voy message board user had posted before and after pictures when he had his acne scars treated by dr. Rapaport, and the improvement he had was more than 50% from one session only. From that point on I knew acne scars can be greatly improved if we find a good doctor and the right treatment.

Of course these message boards are riddled with imposters trying to promote some equipments, products and doctors, but I knew that guy wasn't one of them. I also have seen many cases of improvements from subcision over the years, so I know subcision works if done properly.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 01/10/2014 12:31 am

I agree that subcision + suction (and maybe temporary fillers too) is the way to go. The first dramatic improvement case I ever saw for severe acne scars was obtained after subcision. A Voy message board user had posted before and after pictures when he had his acne scars treated by dr. Rapaport, and the improvement he had was more than 50% from one session only. From that point on I knew acne scars can be greatly improved if we find a good doctor and the right treatment.

Of course these message boards are riddled with imposters trying to promote some equipments, products and doctors, but I knew that guy wasn't one of them. I also have seen many cases of improvements from subcision over the years, so I know subcision works if done properly.

This is very true. All of the techniques available to treat scarring are well known and in the public realm. No one has a secret, special technique. The only thing that truly makes a difference is the skill of the doctor.

MemberMember
(@skinnie)

Posted : 01/10/2014 11:55 pm

>

>

>I asked her about the types of treatment of scars and she said to me Laser treatment was much expensive and Dermaroller was cheaper but only after cure of Acne.>

>

salt is perfectly fine and works as a good exfoliate

Salt is extremely hard and it will cause micro tearing on your face. A soft cloth will do a lot less damage. Just because a YouTube video tells you something doesn't make it true. Putting salt water on your face or steaming with salt will probably not do any damage, but please don't use it as a scrub!

Salt? can it heal my deep scars?

Please see this image or go to my gallery to view my scar types.

Please don't put salt on your face! Your skin will be dry as it is from the accutane. You don't want to further dry it or damage it. Once you are clear, you can discuss surgical and laser treatments for your scarring with the dermatologist.

MemberMember
(@sachin-sharma)

Posted : 01/12/2014 2:28 am

yeah, I am not using salt. Doctor also suggested me the same.

MemberMember
(@kb2000)

Posted : 01/14/2014 10:16 am

I used a home Micro-dermabrasion kit (sold in the larger pharmacies here) that was basically a vibrating handle that you applied an exfoliant to, then scrubbed your face with it (some of them spin, as well).

It seemed to improve my complexion a little (exfoliation was good for me, I can be lazy about washing enough). However it did absolutely noting to help the scarring.

I agree with the others who said that subcision could be the next step, once you've gone through the course with Accutane and are cleared by your doctor.

By the way, I am 52 and still get an occasional pimple :( Accutane did help quite a bit (I did two courses) especially with the overall redness. And any outbreaks were always much less serious after that. That was about 15 years ago.

MemberMember
(@4meracneguy)

Posted : 01/30/2014 2:20 am

You would be an excellent candidate for the dermaflage acne scar makeup kit. It didn't work well for me because i have many tiny scars, but it works well for several isolated huge scars. Search it up and let us know what you think. Cheers.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 01/30/2014 10:31 am

I've seen some dramatic results lately with combination subcision and fat transfer. This may be a good option in your case because you have some pretty deep indentations and volume loss.