Notifications
Clear all

I Can't Take It Anymore

MemberMember
(@simon125)

Posted : 03/23/2013 9:11 pm

I know acne is supposed to be a teenagers right of passage to adulthood but no one told me about the destruction it leaves. I recently started to suffer sever acne in October 2012, luckily I managed to go see my doctor who recommended me a prescription of Minocycline pills and benzoyl peroxide creams. Combined with a Salycic acid regimen it managed to control my acne before it did anymore damage. But it left my face extremely red and scared. My acne is mostly gone but my face is really red.

post-205303-0-56333100-1364090359.jpg. This was me last year when I just turned 16.

This is me, just turned 17 a week ago.

post-205303-0-27950000-1364090905_thumb.

post-205303-0-04497700-1364090932_thumb.

As an insult to injury, I'm the only one at school suffering from it. So if you know any good way to reduce the redness of acne scars, please share smile.png

post-205303-0-56333100-1364090359.jpg

post-205303-0-27950000-1364090905_thumb.

post-205303-0-04497700-1364090932_thumb.

MemberMember
(@oilydave94)

Posted : 03/23/2013 9:38 pm

Sorry to hear what you're going through, bro. I highly doubt your acne is from not washing your face properly, you wouldn't go from flawless skin to acne like that without warning within a year. It could be heredity, ask your parents if they suffered from bad acne when they were your age.

MemberMember
(@simon125)

Posted : 03/23/2013 9:49 pm

My mum and dad both suffered acne around my age, got any tips to get through this Troy from Community :P

MemberMember
(@oilydave94)

Posted : 03/23/2013 10:10 pm

My mum and dad both suffered acne around my age, got any tips to get through this Troy from Community tongue.png

High-five for the recognizing my avatar. smile.png

Then yeah, looks like it's heredity and accutane might be the only answer since it changes your DNA script. With that being said, accutane is a high risk-high reward drug, it's a miracle drug for many but also a nightmare for many. There's a long ass thread on people that have suffered from long term side effects from accutane, which I would advise you to read if you're thinking about accutane:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/295030-repairing-the-long-term-damage-from-accutane/

However, as I said, as many horror stories you hear regarding accutane, you'l find just as many miracle stories. It's up to you if you feel like it's worth the risk.

Also, you have the type that acne that is eating away your skin, not sure how much scars bother you, but the longer you wait before getting it treated, the higher chance it will leave scars in the future, so take that into consideration too if you're debating on what treatment to go with.

If you're against accutane, some people have had success with these supplements:

Zinc

Saw Palmetto (GNC standardized version)

B5 (pantothenic acid) - many people have had success with megadosing on B5 as it reduces sebum, however a potential side effect of megadosing on B5 is hair loss as it causes a deficiency in other vitamins that play a role in hair growth. Some people who have experienced hair loss from B5 said taking a B complex vitamin or l-cysteine will counter the side effect, read here:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/323948-vitamin-b5-hairloss-cured-pictures/

research, research, research

And last thing, NEVER EVER POP OR PICK. :)

MemberMember
(@simon125)

Posted : 03/23/2013 10:40 pm

Thanks for the Info mate, but I think i would like to try something natural or homeopathic before anything that serious. At best, I would go to a dermatologist for debrasion or laser resurfacing. Do you know anything that will just reduce the redness and swelling over time?

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 03/24/2013 12:47 am

I have been using benzoyl peroxide for a little over two months now and my acne has really cleared up. The red mark they left though were still pretty noticeable until I started using AHA. I use a 10% glycolic acid gel with my nightly moisturizer to help with the redness and marks.

Before I was on the benzoyl, I used tretinoin and it worked really well to quickly fade the red marks as well as clear my spot.

Word of caution though, use sunscreen if ever you try AHA or tretinoin, your skin will get pretty sensitive if you spend a lot of time under the sun.

MemberMember
(@simon125)

Posted : 03/24/2013 1:16 am

Noted, Thank You :)

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 03/24/2013 1:26 am

There is not much you can Di about the red marks other than just wait till they fade on their own.

MemberMember
(@simon125)

Posted : 03/24/2013 3:54 am

Knowing that my Physical appearance is out of my control kinda sucks :/

MemberMember
(@jnc4now)

Posted : 03/24/2013 2:44 pm

Hey there. I am a straight guy but I have to say you are really handsome.

Here is something I can think of.

1.) Use physical sunscreen of 30spf or over everyday. Use it even there is no sun outside. Basically, avoid the sun if possible.

2.) Drink a lot of water, eat healthy, and exercise.

3.) Ask your dermatologist about acne hyperpigmentation treatments or find a dermatologist that uses laser or chemical peels to treat acne marks.

Your story reminds me of my own story. I used to have decent skin and acne was not much of a problem.

Then I started breaking out really bad last June. I have done some chemical peels and natural remedies. They only helped a bit. I am now doing laser treatments and hopefully I can get the red marks to a point where I won't be too conscious about.

Hope this helps.

Simon125 liked
MemberMember
(@simon125)

Posted : 03/25/2013 4:14 am

Hey there. I am a straight guy but I have to say you are really handsome.

Here is something I can think of.

1.) Use physical sunscreen of 30spf or over everyday. Use it even there is no sun outside. Basically, avoid the sun if possible.

2.) Drink a lot of water, eat healthy, and exercise.

3.) Ask your dermatologist about acne hyperpigmentation treatments or find a dermatologist that uses laser or chemical peels to treat acne marks.

Your story reminds me of my own story. I used to have decent skin and acne was not much of a problem.

Then I started breaking out really bad last June. I have done some chemical peels and natural remedies. They only helped a bit. I am now doing laser treatments and hopefully I can get the red marks to a point where I won't be too conscious about.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the moral boost :) Anyway I'm on already a bit of a cleanse.

• I drink nothing but water and herbal teas (On ocassion)
  • I avoid eating fatty and oily foods and try to stick to fruits for snacks
  • I exercise weekly and is currently doing a sport

Though the sunscreen idea is not bad because I walk to school nearly everyday (and its always sunny in Australia). Anyway thanks for the input surprised.gif

MemberMember
(@ali000)

Posted : 03/25/2013 5:14 am

Oh sweetie, you are totally cute. My advice would be to stay far away from the Benzoyl. I mean don't even look at it. It's the reason that I have hyperpigmentation. Yes, it kills bacteria but it also produces free radicals, increases sensitivity, and undermines the healing process. Adult acne sufferers know the evils of benzoyl peroxide. The good news is that cellular turnover is rapid at your age. The key then is to use products or seek treatments that speed up this process. Glycolic acid, kojic acid, latic acid, vitamin A and C derivatives are good options. In addition, stronger variants of these acids are available through skin care professionals. Of course, lasers also work. However, I have to warn you. My boyfriend is Filipino and I have learned that darker skin is more prone to pigmentation. His sister recommends Vi Peels because lasers are high risk. No matter what approach you take, you have to monitor your skin for sensitivity and wear sunscreen religiously. Even sitting under light bulbs for extended periods can darken delicate skin. If you see an increase in sensitivity, give your skin a break. And remember to go slow. Hyperpigmentation fades gradually and using a product too often can backfire. I developed acne at 28 and have spent the past three years trying to manage it. Not fun at all. Good luck and remember that 10 years from now; you won't remember the names of most people at school.

MemberMember
(@mr-matt)

Posted : 03/25/2013 9:02 am

I am sorry to hear about what has happened to your skin because of acne.Here are some natural options that may help your skin:1). daily doses of zinc2). Coconut oil is an anti-inflammatory and has antibacterial properties. I suffer from follicular is (acne in the scalp) and I have been amazed at how quickly it has cleared up by putting coconut oil in my hair. You can apply it directly to your face and should let it absorb.3) raw honey is also anti-inflammatory and highly anti-bacterial. I mix this with the coconut oil for my scalp and it has been more effective than a topical product that my doctor had recommended.4). Topical lactic acid is also another good option. It will help to open up your pores so that they can drain.Once your acne is under control, you can look at options for dealing with any scarring that resulted.Hang in there. Matt

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 03/26/2013 10:05 pm

U can get some ipl treatment done to help with the redness.

MemberMember
(@arsic)

Posted : 03/27/2013 1:27 am

Mr. Matt has some very good points!

If you are still breaking out, you might want to look into vitamin B5. Its done amazing things to me.

If you are not breaking out and just looking for a way to get rid of the redness, you can try V-beam, light chemical peels, or AHA that Dan makes. The AHA is amazing, just make sure you use a sunscreen!

Another thing that has REALLY helped my red marks was a mask made from egg whites and lemon juice. Just make sure you use a real lemon to squeeze the juice out of. (I got away with using liquid egg whites sold in a carton because the actual egg whites from eggs have a weird consistency which is almost impossible to put on the face (they are slimy). I used this 3 times a week for 15 minutes each time (then rinse) and my red marks were really showing improvement!

You can do this. Use AHA twice a week and use the mask 3 times a week and you will see your red marks dissapearing. Mine were much worse than yours (they resembled a dark red-purplish color) and this helped tremendously.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 03/27/2013 4:19 am

I'm an advocate of accutane / isotretinoin in cases where the acne is the cystic / scarring kind. Hands down it is the only thing that worked for me. I really get what you are going through because the same thing happened to me at 16. I went from having clear skin to cystic acne in the span of a semester, which was a real blow at the time. I seriously had one of the worst complexions in the entire school. Unfortunately, my parents didn't take it seriously enough at the time, and I was scarred pretty badly. If your acne is cystic, you don't just miraculously grow out of it like people with average skin. It must be dealt with aggressively to prevent further scarring. If you read any of the posts in the scarring forums, you will understand that the only thing tougher than treating cystic acne, is treating the scarring that inevitably results from it. I hope you see continued improvement from the antibiotics and creams. If you relapse, I would really think about talking with your doctor about accutane. Don't get me wrong, its a serious drug, but I personally think some of the purported side effects are overblown. Lasers may offer improvement, but is incredibly expensive and comes with a tough recovery for Asian skin. Dermabrasion is out of the question for Asian skin. You will find many disaster stories in these forums from other Asians who have done dermabrasion (more scarring, loss of pigment, demarcation lines).

For the redness, v beam or some type of vascular laser. IPL may work, but it's really indicated for general facial redness. For dark marks, it takes diligent application of bleaching creams (hydroquinone) over a few months to see them lighten up.

MemberMember
(@oilydave94)

Posted : 03/27/2013 11:11 pm

If you are still breaking out, you might want to look into vitamin B5. Its done amazing things to me.

If you are not breaking out and just looking for a way to get rid of the redness, you can try V-beam, light chemical peels, or AHA that Dan makes. The AHA is amazing, just make sure you use a sunscreen!

Another thing that has REALLY helped my red marks was a mask made from egg whites and lemon juice. Just make sure you use a real lemon to squeeze the juice out of. (I got away with using liquid egg whites sold in a carton because the actual egg whites from eggs have a weird consistency which is almost impossible to put on the face (they are slimy). I used this 3 times a week for 15 minutes each time (then rinse) and my red marks were really showing improvement!

You can do this. Use AHA twice a week and use the mask 3 times a week and you will see your red marks dissapearing. Mine were much worse than yours (they resembled a dark red-purplish color) and this helped tremendously.

Good luck!

What was your dosage of B5 and how long were you on it? Did you suffer any hair loss?

MemberMember
(@arsic)

Posted : 03/27/2013 11:30 pm

Good luck!

What was your dosage of B5 and how long were you on it? Did you suffer any hair loss?

ideally 10 gramms a day. But mine varies a lot, sometimes 7 sometimes 10 sometimes 6, etc.. I've been on it for a year and a half now. I did not suffer any hair loss (knock on wood). I take multi B vitamin twice a day to avoid side effects (this is the most important part and the reason why people experience side effects on B5. (if they dont take other B vitamins)