Notifications
Clear all

Old Scar Getting Deeper And Wider

MemberMember
(@jakeshake)

Posted : 02/17/2013 7:55 pm

I am 52. This old scar seems to have gotten deeper and wider. It's not a disaster but it's enough to make me bothered. Any suggestions on what I should do to improve these types of scars?

MemberMember
(@samui)

Posted : 02/18/2013 12:48 pm

Hi Jake

Yes scars do tend to worsen with age. My scars only surfaced when I reached 40.

Can you tell us what the scar looks like and whereabouts on your face it is?

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 02/18/2013 2:33 pm

I know people say this, but in my experience scars tend to get slightly better over the years, so I find it a bit confusing. I'm still fairly young though.

May I ask what kind of scar you are talking about? You can find a classification of acne scars here.

I have a theory that whether a scar gets worse or better as you age may depend on how deep in the tissue it is, so surface scars or rolling scars may age differently. But I don't know if this holds water, which is why I'm interested especially if someone claims their scars have worsened.

And Jakeshake, it's really important to know what type of scar you have before anyone can recommend you specific treatments. Although I'm sure there's a way to improve it, especially if you have just one.

MemberMember
(@justmeuk)

Posted : 02/18/2013 3:04 pm

My scars have worsened over time too, mainly the rolling ones. I think scars look worse as we age as when we loose collagen the skin isn't as plump as it was and the scars tend to show up more. Have you lost any weight on your face lately as i find that can make my scars look worse.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 02/18/2013 4:04 pm

Yeah, I've noticed that when people have said their scars have worsened over the years, they've usually talked about rolling scars. I may have just imagined it though, so it's possible the same happens to all scars as we age.

Luckily rolling scars are supposedly the easiest to treat. And later on, you can probably maintain your results e.g. with dermarolling.