Notifications
Clear all

Will Taking Arnica Lessen The Results Of Subcision?

MemberMember
(@justmeuk)

Posted : 02/16/2013 3:18 pm

I'm going for another subcision next week and i'm considering taking arnica or applying it topically to hopefully lessen the amount of bruising i get. This might be a daft question but will it somehow lessen any results as the way i understand it is that the hematoma and inflammation caused by subcision plays a large part in the healing process? If it has any negative effect i'd rather not take it.

MemberMember
(@mr-matt)

Posted : 02/17/2013 10:34 am

I've used Arnica in the past as a means to avoid bruising and I can't say that it did anything to help at all.You are correct - the bruising process plays a large role I the healing process.During my fourth and final round of subcision, I had a lot of bruising and a lot of inflammation. But, I also had the best results I've had with subcision.If you can take time off and/or wear concealer to hide the bruising. I think that you'll be better off.Matt

MemberMember
(@justmeuk)

Posted : 02/18/2013 3:08 pm

I've used Arnica in the past as a means to avoid bruising and I can't say that it did anything to help at all. You are correct - the bruising process plays a large role I the healing process. During my fourth and final round of subcision, I had a lot of bruising and a lot of inflammation. But, I also had the best results I've had with subcision. If you can take time off and/or wear concealer to hide the bruising. I think that you'll be better off. Matt

Okay i'll give it a miss then, i don't want to do anything that might hinder the process.

MemberMember
(@polecat)

Posted : 02/26/2013 3:39 pm

Justmeuk, have you had your second subcision already? I have less than two weeks before mine-Monday, March 11th. I'll have 9 days off to somewhat recover before returning back to work. I'm becoming very very nervous!!

MemberMember
(@justmeuk)

Posted : 02/27/2013 5:33 pm

Justmeuk, have you had your second subcision already? I have less than two weeks before mine-Monday, March 11th. I'll have 9 days off to somewhat recover before returning back to work. I'm becoming very very nervous!!

Yes I've actually had four subcisions now. Good luck with yours and consider doing suctioning, I've only been able to do it once but it did improve my results.

MemberMember
(@polecat)

Posted : 02/28/2013 10:24 am

I do plan on adding the suctioning. I know this is what will prolong the bruising and keep me home bound. I'm beginning to get anxious....

MemberMember
(@sanjoseskin)

Posted : 02/28/2013 7:47 pm

Yes I've actually had four subcisions now. Good luck with yours and consider doing suctioning, I've only been able to do it once but it did improve my results.

I do plan on adding the suctioning. I know this is what will prolong the bruising and keep me home bound. I'm beginning to get anxious....

What doctor are you two going to who performs suction subcision?

can you describe the "suction" part of the procedure. Is it with a mechanical or some kind of manual pump, do you do it at home or just one time at the doctors office, etc. Thanks

MemberMember
(@polecat)

Posted : 03/01/2013 5:05 pm

I hope this opens for you. I first heard about the subcision suction method on the owndoc messageboards:

http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/subcision-suction-method-for-acne-scars/

I am seeing a Dr in Austin, TX by the name of Adam Mamelak in approximately 1 week. This will be my first subcision. I am going to administer the suction myself by either using a Electrolux vacuum nozzle or a hand help pump I purchased on eBay in a cupping kit. I will probably use a combination of the two.

MemberMember
(@justmeuk)

Posted : 03/02/2013 2:29 pm

>I do plan on adding the suctioning. I know this is what will prolong the bruising and keep me home bound. I'm beginning to get anxious....

What doctor are you two going to who performs suction subcision?

can you describe the "suction" part of the procedure. Is it with a mechanical or some kind of manual pump, do you do it at home or just one time at the doctors office, etc. Thanks

I did the suction myself using a vacuum cleaner extension nozzle. I tried a venom suction pump at first but it was too large for the areas i needed to suction. With the vacuum cleaner nozzle i put duct tape over the end to make the hole as small as i needed it to be and then i could just suction the scar without sucking up other areas of skin. I needed to do this as i also had tca cross done at the same time which meant i needed to be careful not to knock my scabs off. I suctioned on days 3 -10 twice a day.