Notifications
Clear all

Sk:n Clinics

MemberMember
(@determinedtowin)

Posted : 12/16/2012 2:01 pm

I logged onto the sk:n clinic website today to see what they had to offer... they're website has the following statement about acne scars. Am I going mad or is this the biggest load of rubbish I have ever read?!

"Acne scarring occurs in the dermis, which is the area of skin immediately below the surface that acts somewhat like a cushion. When people suffer with acne, the dermis becomes inflamed as the body attempts to repair the wound created when scaly skin, pimples or blackheads are burst or otherwise removed.

In more severe cases, the body can effectively put "too much effort" into dealing with the wound, meaning that there is an excess of collagen built up. This collagen may stay in place permanently, creating the scarring. This scarring often occurs in a way that creates a pit in the skin, sometimes known as an ice pick scar.

In some cases the result is not a true scar, but simply an excess of pigmentation. This may fade away over a few months or years, but generally isn't permanent as with other acne scars."

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 12/17/2012 2:52 am

I think it's just really badly worded and not every aspect of how scars are created is mentioned.

"Acne scarring occurs in the dermis, which is the area of skin immediately below the surface that acts somewhat like a cushion. When people suffer with acne, the dermis becomes inflamed as the body attempts to repair the wound created when scaly skin, pimples or blackheads are burst or otherwise removed.

MemberMember
(@determinedtowin)

Posted : 12/17/2012 4:50 am

It's this company https://www.sknclinics.co.uk/ based in the UK...

The 2nd bit is exactly what I couldn't get my head around... When you get acne it destroys the tissue and some of in turn the collagen hence why it is sunk!! Too much collagen would cause a keloid surely?

As you say, it's poor form when they don't even seem to know what they're talking about!!

I notice on your profile you have had Fraxel... How is that going?

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 12/17/2012 7:12 am

Yes, either some idiot made it up without doing research or they're all a bit dull there.

I had my last Fraxel session in January, so it's been a long time. :) Fraxel was good but if I could have my money back I would go with the fully ablative CO2 laser. But, in the end things haven't turned out too badly. Dermarolling has been excellent.

x

MemberMember
(@determinedtowin)

Posted : 12/17/2012 9:38 am

I was told about Dermarolling but feel like they were trying to push that one me as a cheap option. Have you been on Accutane before scar treatments? x

MemberMember
(@starlite)

Posted : 12/17/2012 10:29 am

I know that for rolling scars, there is scar tissue that is pulling the scar down and causing the depression. That's why subcision is so effective, it breaks up this scar tissue so that the epidermis in that area can become level with surrounding skin. So there may be some truth to this description.

MemberMember
(@determinedtowin)

Posted : 12/17/2012 11:38 am

They've not explained that well at all though for people who are not 'clued up' on the issue

MemberMember
(@maldition)

Posted : 12/17/2012 1:43 pm

Skin clinics and Doctors says: gimme gimme gimme your money... (whit change please)

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 12/17/2012 2:33 pm

The page is poorly worded.

Scar tissue is actually abundant in collagen. Unfortunately, it's misconfigured.

It's best to avoid places like medspas and skin clinics for scar treatment.

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 12/18/2012 6:50 am

I was told about Dermarolling but feel like they were trying to push that one me as a cheap option. Have you been on Accutane before scar treatments? x

I'm 27 now but was on Roaccutane when I was a teenager. It was over 10 years before I had treatments post Roaccutane. :) x

MemberMember
(@determinedtowin)

Posted : 12/18/2012 8:29 am

Hopefully we'll all get there :) x

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 12/21/2012 5:01 am

Hopefully we'll all get there smile.png x

Only with persistence and patience!