Notifications
Clear all

Sunscreen Help

MemberMember
(@mikhael)

Posted : 09/02/2004 1:08 am

I'm using sunscreen with Parsol in it (Coppertone Faces SPF 30) and by the end of the day my skin is burning, and my red patches are quite irritated. I wash it off as soon as I get home, and then moisturize. By the next morning, the irritation has calmed down and then I reapply the sunscreen and the cycle starts all over again.

I tried a cream with a physical sun block in it by ROC - zinc oxide 3% - It didn't irritate me but it wouldn't absorb into my skin. It looked like a layer of white detergent dried on my face - and then I couldn't get it off!

Next, I tied the same thing above in lotion form and it actually went on blue. The cosmetic lady told me that was normal. Well, I can't leave the house looking like a Smurf. bb_icon_rolleyes.gif

Does anyone know of a sunblock that won't irritate sensitive skin? I think I need zinc oxide, but does any company make it so it will absorb into the skin?

I can't be rubbing at my face to get it off because it makes my red worse. And that makes me sad. bb_icon_cry.gif Thanks.

MemberMember
(@rustymetal)

Posted : 09/02/2004 1:11 am

I personally use Neutrogena's sensitive skin sun screen, spf 30. It's oil free as well. You kinda of have to blend it into the skin so its not obvious that you're wearing it though.

MemberMember
(@dingbat)

Posted : 09/02/2004 1:16 am

Try olay complete uv defense spf 30 for sensitive skin. It has zinc in it too, but its very fine so it won't leave a white hue on your face.

MemberMember
(@frances)

Posted : 09/02/2004 4:35 am

Sparty (a moderator on this board) is the queen of sunscreen. She developed her own site reviewing pretty much every sunscreen product out there. It might be a useful resource for you.

http://www.geocities.com/sunscreen_review2/eng.html

MemberMember
(@derek7-2)

Posted : 09/02/2004 7:40 am

You're a Flamer. Use Clinque "Super City Block" 25sf.

MemberMember
(@mikhael)

Posted : 09/02/2004 5:22 pm

Thank you for the suggestions. I appreciate it.

MemberMember
(@agua2004)

Posted : 09/02/2004 5:50 pm

I think that you need a moisturizer with sunscreen in it. Your face will absorb it.

MemberMember
(@oldguy)

Posted : 09/02/2004 6:37 pm

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp73296_333181_s...with_spf_15.htm

A couple of dermatologists started me on this. I have always used it as a sunscreen. If I do some serious watersports though, (in Florida) I will use a waterproof one with a very high SPF.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/02/2004 6:51 pm

The best sunscreen I've ever used is Nature's Gate Dry Sportblock SPF 30. I found it at my local healthfood store and I love it. I can wear it to the beach in sunny Southern California and not burn....plus it goes on like a nice matte moisturizer....just sinks right in, doesn't smell really "sunscreenish" and leaves your skin nice and matte.

Here are a few links, but you should be able to find it in your local healthfood store.

http://www.healtharticle.net/22708_54524/S...PF-30-4-oz.html

http://www.internatural-alternative-health.../ingr250888.cfm

user posted image

MemberMember
(@rustymetal)

Posted : 09/03/2004 12:13 am

If you're having treatments on your skin anything below spf 30 is useless since you're skin is extra sensitive/healing. I also hear anything above spf 30 doesn't make a huge difference.

MemberMember
(@eva513)

Posted : 09/03/2004 12:18 am

Hi

I also use the netragena SPF 30 sunscreen underneath my mineral makeup. My makeup works really well with the suncreen in that it makes the mineral powder makeup stay on a bit like a liquid makeup.

hope this helps

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 04/29/2013 10:59 am

zinc oxide is not suppose to be absorbed.thats what makes it non-comedogenic.

it does give u a pale look.the degree of which varies.

but i'm told that these days brands have come up with new products which doesnt give u that look.