Notifications
Clear all

Fraxel leaves scars?

MemberMember
(@testingthewaters)

Posted : 03/31/2011 4:06 pm

Has anyone had experience with Fraxel Restore/Repair? I have heard that some patients are left with needle pin size scars all over the face? Has this been the experience for anyone?

MemberMember
(@sanjoseskin)

Posted : 03/31/2011 4:27 pm

Has anyone had experience with Fraxel Restore/Repair? I have heard that some patients are left with needle pin size scars all over the face? Has this been the experience for anyone?

All ablative fractional lasers leave pin sized stamp marks all over your face. This is normal and should go away within a few weeks to a month or so.

It isn't permanent scarring.

With co2 based fraxel you need to be more worried about pigment problems and avoid the neck area as this area can scar easily if the doctor doesn't do it right.

MemberMember
(@katiekat)

Posted : 03/31/2011 4:50 pm

I had the Fraxel co2 laser done about two years ago and I have holes all over my face. They look like scared pores, they where not there before. Also on MedSpa, which is a forum where drs and spa owners talk about things, a dr had said he had done the Co2 fraxel on a guy and he had all these pin holes in his face. The dr and the guy decided to do another to see if they could correct the first procedure, and the same thing happened again.

MemberMember
(@sanjoseskin)

Posted : 03/31/2011 5:26 pm

I had the Fraxel co2 laser done about two years ago and I have holes in my face all over. They look like scared pores, they where not there before. Also on MedSpa which is a forum where dr and spa owners talk about things. a dr had said he had done the Co2 fraxel on a guy and he had all these pin holes in his face. The dr and the guy decided to do another to see if they could correct the first and the same thing happened.

Ok so wait. Do you have the orange peel waxy skin look, or are the holes stamp marks from the laser. Are the holes similar to the pattern from the laser?

If you have have holes from the pattern left by the laser then Wow thats unfortunate. Everyone does heal differently, so the unplanned could always happen.

Have you tried using a combination of Retin-A and a medium strength topical steroid?

Maybe you are confusing what you see as the more common orange peel waxy skin. Try retin-A with a topical steroid, it might help.

MemberMember
(@waitingforacure)

Posted : 03/31/2011 8:21 pm

To prevent scarring from fraxel dermatologists should use recell..thats the answer!

MemberMember
(@mrjarjarbinks77)

Posted : 03/31/2011 8:45 pm

There is a youtube video online day 1, 2, 3 from a girl. I messaged her. I actually got in contact for a consultation. My dermatologist is a good man, reminds me of someone I know, and is a friend. He is suggesting I let it heal. Says its already a 100x better then before. It saddens me that this was all unnecessary if my doctor had just helped me. My dermatologist says, it is not a guarantee he could have helped but, time is of the essence.

OP: how is your acne now? They usually refrain from anything unless of course, you happen to be free of acne 100% or at least 99%.

I posted a link in 280 pg fraxel laser post. Thing that frustrates me is that, nobody ever seems to come back, post pics after "success." I promise you guys in the community, if I find success, even the slightest, I will post something to help. Much like working out, health, fitness, everyone's body is different so, we all react different.

I seen a pic online - checkout the posts on the youtube video. Someone responded with having permanent damage done - fat loss throughout face. I was thinking about having my scar done but, after I seen the site - ipl laster damage (google search) saw a girl named christine and it ain't pretty. I prob would end my life if that happened. I don't think I could go on.

Think long an hard. I was 99% sold on the idea. Then, I seen Mirmar's posts, the youtube video + comments, and that site. Its got me doing a 360. Way too over priced as a student, parents cannot help but, I got the money. Its just the procedure risk.

25% of the skin is damaged possibly permanently. It makes the skin damaged + body needs to repair it. If you have issues healing, say your one in a hundred, thousand, million, who knows the number cause little research is there for us, you could be permanently damaged for life. Think long and hard.

MemberMember
(@katiekat)

Posted : 04/10/2011 9:20 am

I had the Fraxel co2 laser done about two years ago and I have holes all over my face. They look like scared pores, they where not there before. Also on MedSpa, which is a forum where drs and spa owners talk about things, a dr had said he had done the Co2 fraxel on a guy and he had all these pin holes in his face. The dr and the guy decided to do another to see if they could correct the first procedure, and the same thing happened again.

I found the post that I had mentioned.

I am a longstanding user of erbium Fraxel Restore and I am looking at CO2 fractional systems as a lot of us are now.

My concern is that when you consider the histology of the systems, with ablation of the column of epidermis +/- dermis, we are eventually going to see 'dot-painting' scarring.

Waht is the experience of users? Is there a developing incidence of this?

Remember the convention halls were at one time filled with manufacturers of fully ablative CO2 lasers - we don't see one now.

09.29 | After 6 months of experience with the Juvia, I have yet to see anyone with a "dot-painting scarring" pattern. Hopefully, it won't be a problem.

09.30 | TF

If that type of scarring were to happen, wouldn't you see it much sooner? 6-12 weeks?

09.30 | Likely, yes...but remember the long-term issues, such as depigmentation, that we didn't see for about a year or more following traditional CO2.

09.30 | Have had the MixTo for 3mos and am pleased w/ the results, it does have a fixed 20% coverage and a 300micron spot; I had good results with turning and overlapping to 60% (so far). A good website to see before and afters is Rivieralaser.com; he has the MixTo (and lectures for them). He calls it MicropixelHD. He's a primary care physician w/ a PhD in wound healing

10.1 |Hi KC Sim,

Mind to give us an upadate on your Lutronic patients that you have encountered do far?

10.1 | Hi MedSpa Guy,

Another request for your comparison chart. I'm trying to decide between the Lutronic fractionated CO2 and the SmartXide. They seem to offer similar flexibility although the Lutronic offers several spot sizes. [email protected]

10.15 | I have used the CoLaGen for almost 1 year now, and I have not seen "dot-painting scars". Some very tiny holes have been seen on a few people with very fine skin, but these were very very small and hard to see unless you magnify them in front of a mirror. A young woman had this and do just that , and went to see the famous Dr C in HK, and Dr C recently broadcasted the mesage in front of many doctors in a conference that Korean Fractional CO2 lasers cause scars on the whole face! Well, he is the spokesman for Lumenis of course. I think a fairer comment should be focused on the technology and not a particular machine, when they are so very similar in parameters. If 1 machine can cause a certain problem, how can you be sure that the others don't? Nevermind, Lumenis doesn't sell at all in HK anyway.

Message to take home : lower the energy setting in off-face skin, and thin / fine facial skin, they take much longer to heal and do not improve to that extent as rough / acne scar skin.

Interest to declare : I use, as well as help to sell CoLaGen in HK. 2 more doctors are getting on board to buy this machine this week. ( @ US 50,000, and Lumenis sells @ US 120000 ! )

dr stephen

10.17 | Regarding scars form fractional CO2 laser, just happen to see this message in " Deep Fx Forum - exclusive for encore ultrapulse users " :

{Greetings. I had Active/Deep FX done to my face in June of 2008. I have been severely scarred from the procedure. I have ice-pick type marks all over my face, in additional to severe hyperpigmentation. The overall texture of my face has gone from smooth and virtually flawless to the appearance of a severely textured wall. I am distraught and do not know what to do. My surgeon was/is reputable and experienced, but admits he has never seen a case like this before and quite frankly, does not know how to treat me. Can you help me at all? I feel Lumenis needs to be more up-front about these issues. I have met several women whose lives have been destroyed as a result of this laser. Any input/help you could provide would be most appreciated. Thank you. Please feel free to email me at counterpartconsulting@yahoo.com.

10.11 | lauri }

I feel to urge to justify. There you go, it is not an exclusive problem that "Korean machines cause scars".

dr stephen

10.17 | I have literally preformed hundreds of Fraxel 1500 txs and I'm going to break convention here and admit that in a few cases pinpoint scarring resulted. As a seasoned user, it had nothing to do with lack of technique, my equipment or improper patient selection. Infact, if you were to look at the patients who scarred, they outwardly appeared to be good candidates and the settings an techniques I used were no different than those I used on hundreds of others who had favorable outcomes. One of the patients who scarred wanted to try the laser again on lower settings. I dropped the power down to the safest levels possible and he scarred again. Bottom line: It's not Korean or American manufactured machines that scar. It's not Erbium or CO2 that scars (although I'm sure we will see more of this with C02 simply for the fact that we are using C02 energy). It's patients that scar, and if you treat enough of them, you'll run into a few that do.

10.17 | The problem with these type of side effects is that no one is talking about them so we can figure out how to avoid scarring. The patient who was scarred with the DeepFx got a "double pulse". I was told not to do "double pulse". Why did this doctor do this? Did he know the proper technique? Do I know the proper technique? I own the DeepActiveFx and I find it very difficult to get expert, advanced support from Lumenis. It seems to me that Lumenis does not care about safe and effective treatments with their laser. They only care about selling their lasers (and that is ok, but they need to care about their providers and the patients treated with their lasers as well). I hope I am wrong and we will see the quality of their character by how they react to this scarring case and how they treat the doctors who have paid $200,000 to purchase their laser! We all just got screwed by the investment bankers, I hope we don't let ourselved get screwed by the EXECUTIVES at the laser companies as well. We have to demand that they CARE about our patients. Most providers are too passive (I think you guys are whimps and are afraid of your shadow). Get some guts and insist on what you need. This is not whining and complaining. This is demanding what in right and necessary.

10.18 | In my experience with over 1000 Fraxel 1500 treatments performed I have had one patient scar - this was on the temple and resulted from confluent tissue heating with a blister. The treatment density in this case was too high (>40% of skin area treated or R2+) This occurred early in the learning curve where treatment parameters were pushed too high.

I have seen one other case where almost imperceptible punctate textural change persisted for some months. This was on the cheek in a very fine Type 2 skin. Again treatment depth and density were too high (60/11/ 8passes).

Finer skin with lower pilosebaceous activity needs more care.

Also I have NO cases of persisting PIH in any skin type.

My Asian patients and Type 3-5 skins are routinely treated at 40 - 60 mJ, level 9 - 10, 8 passes

10.18 |I'm wondering why some posts are mysteriously vanishing here - like the post in the Deep FX forum where the girl who scarred indicated her treatment settings.

Will -this- post vanish as well?

MemberMember
(@nightwitch9)

Posted : 05/29/2015 5:41 am

Anyone have this waxy texture on ur face after fraxel resurfacing dual please I wantti know if it will go away I meed someone who I can talk to

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 05/30/2015 9:41 am

Read my signature, I was treated 5 times at maximum mj, and no pin marks.

MemberMember
(@nightwitch9)

Posted : 06/03/2015 6:24 am

Anyone who are still suffering from inflammation two months after fraxel dual I've been still

Swelling and my face is so easy shiny the texture is different compare to normal skin does anyone know Same boat with me?did you heal or how long it will go away? My pores become more

Visible because of inflammation my

Main concern is the texture pls want to know more

MemberMember
(@nightwitch9)

Posted : 07/07/2015 5:21 pm

Anyone knows they healed from Orange Peel

Skin texture and a pin prick hole on their face??