Best Drugstore Acne Face Wash?

MemberMember
(@makaylabennett)

Posted : 09/01/2013 9:00 am

I need to clear up my acne fast

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 09/01/2013 2:36 pm

Normally any drugstore cleansers with a chemical in them (be that BP, SA, Sulfur) will yield minimal results. If you want a no nonsense, gets the job done cleanser I would recommend La Roche Posay Effaclar (I use this product). It removes makeup well and my skin feels and smells clean after I use it. I wash morning and night and only need less than a dime size amount. It foams up nicely which is great if you have oily skin. The scent is light and clean (no added fragrances), which will minimize any and all irritation. It is a little pricy (about 25$/bottle), but I have had the same 6 oz tube since May, and I think I can get another month out of what's left. Totally worth the money!

If you really want a product with a chemical agent here's what I recommend:

BP: Try the AcneFree system. It's literally the same thing as Proactiv, but available at any drugstore. If you just want a BP cleanser, try Clean & Clear Advantage cream wash. It dries up your face though, so use a moisturizer post cleansing. Unfortunately, my skin cannot tolerate BP, so this chemical never yielded good results.

SA: <---- I have never used SA cleanser, but I started a thread about it, so you can choose what you want form the opinions that were provided to me.

Sulfur: You can really only get a high quality sulfur wash from a dermatologist, so I wouldn't recommend that you go looking for one at a drugstore or online. Avar e (sulfacetamide 10% sodium 5%) is a great prescription brand for sulfur based products. I use an antibacterial cream by the company, and it really has helped my acne. If you do not want a sulfur cleanser, trying using a sulfur spot treatment. Significantly helps many!

What kind of acne do you have, and what is the severity? There really isn't any method that will "clear up acne fast" unfortunately. Your skin takes very long to heal and finding the right products takes some time in itself.

Hope this helped! Good luck!

MemberMember
(@xdevochkax)

Posted : 10/03/2013 10:37 am

There is no definitive answer to this as everyone's skin type and pH level is different. I've tried more than I can count and only some of them mildly helped at best, and only for a temporary time.

In my opinion and experience, the ones at the drugstore are more targeted towards teens or those with the occasional/hormonal pimple here and there. And I say that because it worked for me back then, but it doesn't work now.

The pretty packaging, and added color & fragrance to the cleansers (none of which are necessary unless the color and fragrance come naturally due to the ingredients themselves) are what draw people in and is exactly why they fly off the shelves.

Your best bet with drugstore cleansers are gentle, non-stripping, pH balanced ones with no acne medication in them. As for acne fighters, it's better to invest a little more $$ in those types of cleansers.

MemberMember
(@kamiller1972)

Posted : 10/29/2013 8:14 am

I agree with the gentle approach...I use Johnson & Johnson Head to Toe Baby Wash. It's super gentle and doesn't strip my skin. It leaves it very soft and clean. Plus it's super cheap. You get quite a bit for your $3.00. grinwink.gif