Notifications
Clear all

Long Time Users: Controversy Over Bp 2.5%?

MemberMember
(@lia-rae)

Posted : 10/30/2012 5:51 pm

I am so excited that I've found this website and I really do want to try the regimen but I have heard before that it can have bad long-term effects, such as melanoma??

I'm not sure where I've heard this and I could only find one website through Google saying anything about BP's link to skin cancer but it wasn't very reputable.

I am just still nervous seeing as I already have parents who have had skin cancer removed and I'm already looking at some cancerous moles too...

Thanks for any advice!

MemberMember
(@chloelauraa)

Posted : 10/30/2012 7:16 pm

I haven't heard about melanoma :o The only thing that I experienced is that it didn't really do much for me :( also it made my red marks a looot worse

But a lot of people have had success with it so go for it!

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 10/31/2012 8:01 am

It's not BP itself that can cause melanoma, but excessive sun exposure while using BP without sun protection. As you probably know, prolonged and excessive exposure to UVA and UVB rays can both cause skin cancer as well as speed up ageing. BP makes your skin vulnerable to sun damage, and thus the higher possibility of developing melanoma. That's why it's important to use sunscreen, especially when you use BP, but even when you aren't. Anything that exfoliates or thins the skin makes it more vulnerable, that includes retinoids, and some antibiotics too, so pretty much any acne treatment you chose, you have to stay out of the sun and be generous with applying sunscreen.

If you look at studies about cancer though, almost all of them find a link between cancer and somethingrolleyes.gif may that be carrots or whatever, there's a small chance you might get cancer if you eat carrots, which to me just shows that researchers have no real idea what can cause cancer besides radiation

MemberMember
(@lia-rae)

Posted : 10/31/2012 4:50 pm

If you look at studies about cancer though, almost all of them find a link between cancer and somethingrolleyes.gif may that be carrots or whatever, there's a small chance you might get cancer if you eat carrots, which to me just shows that researchers have no real idea what can cause cancer besides radiation

Hahaha so true! I work at a natural food store so you can imagine all of the people who come in concerned about this, that, or the other thing causing cancer... and that's almost exactly what I tell them. It's good to hear it from someone else. :X

Thanks for your input everyone. eusa_pray.gif

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 10/31/2012 6:31 pm

BP safety: http://www.acne.org/faq.html#cancer