Shaving Is Making M...

Notifications
Clear all

Shaving Is Making My Acne Worse

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 01/14/2013 8:08 pm

I'm pretty sure it's the shaving. Ever since I started manually shaving I've been getting more pimples around my cheeks and chin. And sometimes it cuts them and bleeds a tiny bit. I'm really pissed off and have no idea what to do.

I use my cleanser and a sensitive skin shaver. I'm fed up with the whole shaving thing. Should I just use an electric shaver OR get it lasered off? would it hurt to laser the hairs?

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 01/16/2013 8:15 pm

Shaving and the hair growing back can cause an infection to form in the pore easier, thus making you break out.

What I personally do to avoid this, is only shave my upper lip/mustache area, and then use a beard trimmer for the rest. I use the "Schick quattro titanium trimmer" they are only like 15$ and I find it does the job fine, leaves a little bit of stubble, but that's much easier to look at then breakout on my neck!

Hope this helps (:

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 01/17/2013 1:08 am

Shaving and the hair growing back can cause an infection to form in the pore easier, thus making you break out.

What I personally do to avoid this, is only shave my upper lip/mustache area, and then use a beard trimmer for the rest. I use the "Schick quattro titanium trimmer" they are only like 15$ and I find it does the job fine, leaves a little bit of stubble, but that's much easier to look at then breakout on my neck!

Hope this helps (:

Is it a guaranteed that I will breakout if I stop shaving? or just a possibility?

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 01/17/2013 2:49 am

I think you would breakout less if you stopped using a manual shaver, it's usually pretty easy to tell if it's the shaving breaking you out.. cause the infected area is where the hair follicle is growing back in.

I think a trimmer is your best bet! aha

MemberMember
(@tommyhaynes96)

Posted : 06/02/2013 1:32 am

Yup, shaving does make my acne worse too, which is why, I sometimes avoiding shaving for long periods, so the acne heals before I shave once again. I cant think of any other solution for this issue and would want to really know if someone has a better solution.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/03/2013 3:31 pm

Yup, shaving does make my acne worse too, which is why, I sometimes avoiding shaving for long periods, so the acne heals before I shave once again. I cant think of any other solution for this issue and would want to really know if someone has a better solution.

I have little active acne anymore, but I used to have this problem too. There are some things you can do to help though. I am Irish/Italian with a coarse, dark beard so I shave every day or so, this is what I do so it doesn't aggravate/create acne.

1) Get a quality, sharp razor. I use the Gillette Mach 3 razor, and the cartridges hold their sharpness well and they are cheaper than the Fusion blades, but just as good. I don't recommend disposable razors or electric trimmers, they often dull fast, and pull and cause lots of nicks

2) You need quality shaving cream too. The best one I've used is Edge Extra Moisturizing shave gel, it goes on very thick and your razor will glide across your skin, reducing irritation.

3) Shave after a warm shower; the water will soften your skin and make shaving more comfortable.

4) This one is THE MOST IMPORTANT: Make sure to completely wash off all of the shaving cream from your face when you're done. Gently splash cool water on it until you can feel ZERO slick spots from the shaving cream. Shaving cream is great for reducing razor irritation, but if you don't wash it off it will cause some acne for problematic skin.

5) Don't use an after shave lotion or balm. These too can cause acne.

Also, when my beard was coming in when I was around 15-19, I would get acne right on the line between where there was hair/was not hair. It's part of the process of your beard growing in, when skin gets thick hair coming up for the first time it is more likely to cause acne initially. But once the hair is established and you're shaving it, your acne there will actually be less. So don't worry, it'll get better as your beard grows in more.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 06/04/2013 7:33 am

Manual shaving has always caused me to break out. I now use a trimmer which almost achieves the exact same results and doesn't irritate my skin at all.

MemberMember
(@brianadam)

Posted : 06/10/2013 1:22 am

I feel if you are having acne on your face then you have to use a trimmer instead of using any kind of blades or razors. I personally use electric trimmers for shaving purpose.

MemberMember
(@tim714)

Posted : 06/17/2013 6:05 pm

Yeah electric razors cause much less irritation, for me anyway.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 06/18/2013 5:26 pm

Manual shaving has always caused me to break out. I now use a trimmer which almost achieves the exact same results and doesn't irritate my skin at all.

My experience as well. Even when i've tried shaving really close with an electric, i'll get some breakouts afterwards. I use the trimmer on the back and my face is like sandpaper, but without pimples, so...fair trade.

Also the single best aftershave i've used is a solution of Himalayan pink sea salt dissolved in distilled water. Stings a tiny bit after applied, but has kept away any post shaving breakouts