Notifications
Clear all

My Acne Story!

MemberMember
(@willjcairns)

Posted : 11/28/2016 5:03 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to this site and just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Will and I'm 17, I've suffered from severe cystic acne since I was 13. I never thought much of it as I thought it was just normal, until I really started caring about my appearance, which was when I turned 15.

I took it upon myself to try and sort it out and went to the doctors to see what they could do. I was prescribed Lymecycline (408mg tablet once a day) & Differin cream (spread only on face at night), I took this medication from when I was 15 to when I just turned 17.

At first I saw slight improvement and got better, and I'd constantly go from clear skin to acne filled face quite regularly, I to my GP often and he said just to keep on taking this medication. I'm really self conscious of my acne and it really does effect the way I do about myself, I've never felt fully comfortable with my face. My acne is very painful and usually very pus filled.

When I turned 17 I took it upon myself to sort my skin out and tried out LUSH skincare products which helped it out for quite a while but then I just got fed up. I demanded that I saw the Nurse Practicioner as I swear my GP hated me and she referred me to the Dermotoloigist.

My Dermotoligist appointment was on Wednesday 2nd November and assessed me and asked what I wanted to happen, after a one time researching, I wanted to get myself on Isotretinoin (Accutane). She said I had to of tried two different types of treatments before I could go on this because of the severe side effects. So since beginning of this month I've been taking Doxycycline (One 50mg tablet a day) and Isotrex gel (Spread thinly at night). So far nothing has changed but the Dermotoligist said if there isn't any significant improvement by January, I can then be put on Accutane.

So yeah, that's pretty much my Acne story, sorry it's so long, I hope some of you made it to the end!

Please do let me know what you guys think to my treatment and if any of you have experienced the same treatment/timeline as me.

Thanks,
Will

MemberMember
(@ariunbold)

Posted : 12/08/2016 9:34 am

Im also taking doxy for 3 months and half. Stopped getting cysts but still have some whiteheads here and there. Doxy made my moderate to severe acne to mild to moderate. But its not permanent solution. If my skin goes bad after doxy i have no option left except accutane