Notifications
Clear all

My Story

MemberMember
(@hapah)

Posted : 04/10/2016 2:47 pm

Hey everyone, I've often read posts on these forums whilst looking for help with my acne, but I've reached a point where I'm absolutely fed up with constantly feeling sorry for myself. My acne started when I was 15, and I'm now 18.

I've tried about 3-4 courses of antibiotics over the past couple of years (lymecycline) which helped a little, but when I'd finished them It was back to like it was before. 

So I'm going to be uploading pictures of my progress and details on my medication, diet and other variables which may affect my acne. Like I said, I'm tired of being made to feel small and anxious by my own body. My confidence has dwindled since I've been having acne and I'm determined to get it back.

So here we are. Day 1 of what I think is going to be a long journey. No filters on my photos, no bullshit, I need to stop avoiding it and actually start facing my acne head on.

H

IMG_0604 (1).JPG

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 04/10/2016 3:13 pm

Kudos to you. Accepting what is will be the best decision you've ever made. Looking forward to your journey.

love the hair!

MemberMember
(@hapah)

Posted : 04/11/2016 4:24 pm

On 4/10/2016 at 9:13 PM, leelowe1 said:

Kudos to you.  Accepting what is will be the best decision you've ever made.  Looking forward to your journey.

love the hair!

Thanks  It's not going to be easy though!

So it's "Day 2" as i'm putting it. Had a mix up with the doctors so I'm not being seen until next monday.  I'm really annoyed as I just want to be seen now.

My skin is the same as before, and the cyst is still just as bad on my face, I also had to shave before work today, which I've noticed irritates my skin really badly no matter what products I use.

I enjoy my job but hate it at the same time because of my acne and how it's affected my confidence! I work in retail so I have so much interaction with the public, I constantly think I'm being judged.

I'm trying to have 4 pints of water a day to help my skin - only had about 2 so far but hopefully I can neck two before bed. I also use Neutrogena face scrub once a day, I've noticed anymore  (or most other products) tends to make my skin even worse.

I know a lot of people have problems stopping picking at their face. I don't pick at it but I still touch my face in general because I'm quite a shy person (because of my acne - it's a vicious cycle!). But if I had to use a word to describe my mindset right now it would probably be pessimistic - I'm hoping that will change soon!

H

MemberMember
(@hapah)

Posted : 04/18/2016 3:37 am

Hiiii,

Okay so quick update, I saw a new GP today and we chatted about my options, It was strange because he actually suffered from cystic acne when he was younger and was on accutane. He told me he could refer me to a derm on the nhs to go on accutane but that could take up to 8 weeks or even more!
So what I decided was to get a prescription today of Differin (0.1%, a thin layer to be applied every night). I talked to my mother about it and she very kindly said that if the differin wasn't working great by the time I have my next appointment which will be in 4 weeks, that she would pay to go private and get me put on accutane, so it's still faster that way!
So, what I'm going to be doing from now on is posting photo updates daily of my skin starting from tonight. If anyone has any experiences with Differin please let me know your story :)
I'm really trying to stay positive!

H

MemberMember
(@hapah)

Posted : 04/18/2016 2:57 pm

Hey again,

So i've just finished my first application of the Differin and it didn't sting or feel weird (not sure if this is a good/bad thing as other topicals I've had did sting a bit?) This is a picture I took earlier and will hopefully be my 'before' picture and motivate me to get the perfect skin that I want so badly!:)

H

IMG_0646.JPG

MemberMember
(@hapah)

Posted : 04/21/2016 8:16 pm

A quick update on the differin, last night was my 4th application and I have definitely noticed the initial breakout from the second night. I'm literally breaking out everywhere, especially my temples and jawline/neck, it's absolutely horrible. Apart from that i'm getting bad redness and sore skin, but not particularly dry. I'll post a photo update on monday.