Notifications
Clear all

"water Only Regimen" -- My Journey

MemberMember
(@importkid558)

Posted : 12/29/2014 6:09 pm

Hello everyone,

It has definitely been a while since I posted here on the community forums, and I apologize to anyone who tried following my "Exposed Skin Care Log", which quickly failed. I really felt like trying something new that could potentially help other individuals - and also sharing the details of my journey with everyone in hopes that if it works for me it will work for someone else also.

A quick disclaimer however - because I know from past endeavors that there are individuals who will dissect every word in the following post. This regimen is not meant for everyone - Hell, I'm not even sure it's meant for me. But if it does work for me, that doesn't mean it won't work for someone else. On the contrary, if it doesn't work for me don't turn your cheek. Everyone has different skin, so never be discouraged because someone has something negative to say about a particular regimen you were looking forward to testing. Living with blemishes is a learning experience. Not only about your body, but yourself as well. So you have to be strong and willing to try different things in order to come to a final decision as to what works for you. Although there is no scientific backing to whether or not the water only regimen indeed works, I am a believer of natural medicine and I'm aware of the effects that the chemicals we smother our faces in can have.

This is my story.

My blemishes started in high school sometime, I believe around my sophomore year. I was an athlete. Football, baseball, basketball, swimming, you name it. So you can assume that I had "regular teenage acne". A blemish here and there from having helmets and chinstraps on, a poor diet, terrible sleeping habits, and the everyday "stress" we all thought we had back then. Needless to say, my acne was not sever, and it probably wasn't even considered moderate. Me being a teenager at the time, I would freak out even though I knew some kids had it worse. Acne has a way of getting in your head and making you think two or three blemishes equal nine or ten. In reality, people probably didn't even notice - they probably still don't, but it's that mental picture that has always kept me pretty self-conscious. Now let's skip about four or five "moderate acne" years, and jump right to last year. I was in trade school to be a mechanic - a predominantly filthy career path. I always managed to keep my face clean, but I had a rough schedule between waking up every morning, going to school, going to work, and then going to the gym..every single weekday. Not to mention the other every day stresses of having to pay bills, home life, relationships, etc. Well my acne still wasn't bad. An occasional breakout would come along on my chin and sometimes on my forehead, but nothing severe. About eight or nine months ago I got a new job, and my acne began creeping up on me worse than ever. Not to mention I also started my first major relationship in years. I started to break out in places I never broke out before. My temples, my cheeks, my neck, everywhere. I noticed some major lifestyle changes. I wasn't exercising anymore, I wasn't sleeping as well, and my diet wasn't great. However one thing I did notice, was that these breakouts only occurred when using products. When I was in high school, I wasn't really using products like I do now. I guess after seven years of worrying about what my face looked like, I started to research into more effective (so I thought), and more expensive products. I had a bout with Exposed Skin Care, which I used for three months until everyone told me it was negatively affecting my situation. It left me with red marks on my cheek, temples, forehead and chin. It also did nothing about the reoccurring breakouts I was already experiencing. So I came completely off of it. I went back to my daily regimen of washing my face in the morning and at night, with an oil-free cleanser, and moisturizer.

I'm going to be honest people, I've used a whole lot of products. Everything from Proactiv to Exposed, doctor prescribed Benzoyl Peroxide and Duac lotion, Neutrogena, Clearasil, Mario Badescu, Burt's Bees, and the list goes on. I got so used to hearing the line, "It's going to get better before it gets worse," that I just continued using these products and even after months of use I never experienced any positive change. I've even tried natural remedies like apple cider vinegar, honey, sugar masks, even milk as a topical solution. But for the last few days I've really been considering the odds. What if the reason my skin has become gradually worse over all of the years is because it's never gotten a break? What if my face just wants to breathe? What do I have to lose? I feel as if I've tried everything - up to Accutane - which I'm not even considering. I'm tired of putting "Benzoyl Peroxide" and "Salicylic Acid" on my face; it doesn't even sound beneficial. So last night I stumbled across the Caveman Regimen, and I too thought it sound ridiculous.

For those of you who may not know what this regimen entails, theoretically it's the idea that if you just don't wash your face at all - and I mean you don't even let water touch your face (even in the shower!) that your skin will naturally heal and take care of itself. It makes sense. I'm not a dermatologist, or a doctor, or even an expert, but after seven years of smothering "acid" creams, foams, and washes onto my face, matched with heavy moisturizers, toners, tonics and such my skin just needs rest. However, I'm too much of a pansy to try "no water" at all, and the filthy nature of my career requires that I at least "rinse" my face. So the plan is that I'm just going to drop all of my products and wash with lukewarm water, followed by rather cold water at night when I'm in the shower. I'm not sure whether or not to splash my face in the morning as well, but I guess that will be dependent on oil buildup and short-term results. I'm also drinking about a gallon of water a day, and trying to sleep about 8-9 hours per night.

I am going to leave you guys with before and after pictures after the fifth week. Before I end this post, please just be mindful of everyone on this thread. All positivity, let's see if we can get some decent results. Also, feel free to post questions or recommendations as I'm going to get back to everyone.

Day One --

Howdy everyone.

Obviously no big news for you guys, but I wanted to let you know how everything started off on the first day. Unfortunately I wasn't able to catch much sleep last night; only about three or four hours. When I woke up, rather than wash my face and go through a whole five to ten minute routine, I got dressed and went right to work. When I got home, I took a "mild shower" using warm water to rinse the oils and sweat off of my face, and cold water to help close up the pores. So far my face feels okay, nothing different from any other day.

I have a breakout on my chin consisting of a few pimples - some active, some drying up. I also have some redness and hyperpigmentation.

I'm not someone who has "given up" per say, but I'm definitely losing hope. I'm looking forward to some results.

MemberMember
(@importkid558)

Posted : 12/30/2014 12:11 pm

Day Two --

So today marks day two of my regimen, and so far so good. Face is a tad oily, but nothing I'm not used to. I woke up late, so I didn't even have time to wash my face anyway.

I'm planning on going home and showering, in which I'll rinse my face with warm water and splash with cold water immediately after again.

Let me know what you guys think.

MemberMember
(@importkid558)

Posted : 12/31/2014 8:18 am

Day Three --

So I woke up today with some little white heads around my chin, but overall the results have been pretty surprising. My complexion is getting a little better, and my face isn't too oily or tight.

MemberMember
(@importkid558)

Posted : 12/31/2014 5:21 pm

Hey guys, just a quick update.

Everything has been going relatively well. I noticed some more oil production today because I had to wipe my nose off and I was wearing latex gloves. Lots of scabbing around the chin area, and some whiteheads too. I think this may be a sign of healing.

I've been bringing a one gallon jug of water to work with me everyday, but my eating habits have been poor over the last days. Last night I had pizza and wings for dinner, and some chocolate, today I had Chinese for lunch. It's so hard to eat healthy! :(

But leave me some feedback guys.

MemberMember
(@importkid558)

Posted : 01/04/2015 1:50 pm

What's up everyone?

Just wanted to give you guys an update on my progress to this point. It's the Sunday after the New Year and I have some pretty good news to report. A lot of my breakouts stopped. I still get an occasional zit here and there but overall a lot of my older blemishes vanished. My face doesn't feel overly dry, or oily - now I'm just waiting for the redness or hyperpigmentation from prior blemishes to fade away.

I'm not saying this is a miracle cure, but it's definitely worth a try if you've tried everything.

MemberMember
(@shellyr8)

Posted : 01/05/2015 11:43 pm

I feel like you wrote my story! I have been doing this regimen since the first, and I'm also trying to get more sleep and eat a cleaner diet. I have seen an improvement in my skin as well aside from some dryness and flaking. I hope our journeys continue to be positive!

MemberMember
(@sammiiih)

Posted : 01/08/2015 11:09 pm

I just started this the Sunday before the new year.. and I'm still getting lots of whiteheads and pimples. I have several closed comedones and there was a point over the weekend my skin got super oily for like 3 days

MemberMember
(@marwa-mahmoud)

Posted : 01/14/2016 3:33 pm

Guys how do you remove your sunscreen from all the face? I just tried using only water for a week or more now and I really like it , and when I wear make up i only wear some lipstick and eyeliner and I remove them with jojoba oil...but what should I do about my sunscreen? Since week I am removing it with only water , nothing realy bad happened in my skin or got worst but I am still worried.. :( I may also noticed some small white pimples between my mouth and my nose that I didn't have them before that much in this area...but they dried out in just 2 days