Notifications
Clear all

My Retin-A And Isotrex 0.025% Gel Diary(Pictures) - Stopped At Week 14; Azelaic Acid

MemberMember
(@adreamer)

Posted : 04/03/2013 4:38 pm

Hey I basically have the exact same problem going on. I was on Accutane and it returned a few months after and now Im broke out pretty bad. Ive been on Bactrim for a month and Im no longer getting big breakouts. I also have Differin .03 but Im afraid to start it because of an IB!

Your skin looks much better by the way!

How long were you on Accutane for?

Oh I am sorry your acne came back! :/

I am starting to convince myself it's actually a good thing; it means Accutane didn't affect you that much which as actually good... And your body got to where it was quickly.

I took Accutane for 5 months(i didn't finish my course; should have taken it for 6 and a half), 30mg a day. I finished earlier because after 5 months i got hives and stopped immidiatelly. Since my skin was already heaven i decided to never take this thing again. After a year i started getting little spots again. then a cyst or two. Actually nothing bad at all. And azeleic acid(after that) cleared me 99%. Until i started using Retin-A my skin was actually pretty nice. But this IB made my skin look awful! But I am starting to see results. eusa_pray.gif

I've googled Bactrim and it seems like it's an antibiotic. You know what i think? After trying Accutane as the most potent drug for acne I don't think taking antibiotics would do any good. It's temporary. I'd seriously if you haven't already- try azeleic acid. You need to use it for 6 months to get clear skin. But I helped me 99% and my skin is obviously a tough nut to crack. since accutane didn't even help.

About being afraid of IB. Don't be. Because these spots will come out sooner or later, so using an acne treatment will only fast forward it. After that, it's all worth it! :) I haven't used Differin but I heard good stuff about it. If you start using it, be persistent and stubborn!!

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 04/03/2013 10:59 pm

Thanks for the advice! I wish I had as good of an out look as you do! After 6 plus years of having breakouts its starting to get to me lol. I have a dermatologist apt tomorrow so Ill see how that goes..

Well best of luck to you and I hope things keep going good for you!

MemberMember
(@adreamer)

Posted : 04/05/2013 8:46 am

CWR24: No problem! I forgot to say that you can wait and see how my journey goes and than maybe try Isotrex yourself. :)

I hope your derm. appointment went well

Well thank you i wish the same

MemberMember
(@adreamer)

Posted : 04/07/2013 10:07 am

WEEK 11

So, this week i got my period so I also got around 4 new pimples. Which isn't that bad.

Otherwise, my skin tone is getting better slowly, also the texture is better. Blackheads are easier to manage.

I've got nothing else to write.

Pictures:

post-198388-0-11751100-1365347209.jpg

post-198388-0-88113800-1365347210.jpg

post-198388-0-11751100-1365347209.jpg

post-198388-0-88113800-1365347210.jpg

MemberMember
(@mirili)

Posted : 04/07/2013 3:37 pm

Your skin definitely looks better. Fingers crossed for it getting better and better from now.

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 04/07/2013 4:25 pm

Looking good!

MemberMember
(@adreamer)

Posted : 04/08/2013 12:45 pm

Thanks! smile.png I hope so too. I wish my red marks would start fading quickly...

I started using turmeric again. This time my skin doesn't mind at all! I just couldn't wait until the end of my journey...Everybody's saying how great it is so i had to try using it again. My skin isn't as sensitive now and i used less turmeric so the outcome was great!

I noticed the skin feels so soft and supple and just clean after i use this mask. Also it's suppose to prevent blemishes and fade marks(if you use it regularly).

This is how I do it:

I mix two tablespoons of plain yoghurt, half a tea spoon of turmeric powder, a teaspoon of honey and half a tea spoon of either olive oil or jojoba oil. I apply this mask to my face,neck, chest and back(i have a couple of marks there). Leave it on while i shower the rest of my body lol then wash it off. Since I put a lot of yoghurt in my mask my skin isn't yellow afterwards smile.png I LOVE this mask. I'll be using it at least twice a week. I recommend it to all of you, no matter what type of skin you have.

MemberMember
(@adreamer)

Posted : 04/16/2013 2:09 pm

WEEK 12

a Iittle late

i am too busy to write every detail about week 12

i was and still am breaking out and i think there's going to be a lot more new breakouts before any dramatic changes take place

things aren't going anywhere or just really slowly, like i said: i feel like my process kind of stopped and i don't know if i should increase my isotr.strength. i am really irritated when i think things aren't going anywhere! There were improvements but it seems like my skin cleared to some extent but now it's just stagnating. is my skin going to improve? etc etc i wonder

post-198388-0-37509900-1366139371.jpg

post-198388-0-84711600-1366139372.jpg

post-198388-0-37509900-1366139371.jpg

post-198388-0-84711600-1366139372.jpg

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 04/17/2013 4:58 pm

Hmm, there has definitely been improvement but i always that if after 12 weeks there hasn't been CONSISTENT improvement, it's time to re-evaluate, maybe add some bp in the am or some internal changes. Keep us posted - i am definitely keeping up with this log

Good Luck

MemberMember
(@adreamer)

Posted : 04/19/2013 11:06 am

Thanks Sasch83. I know, i do get an occasional breakout here and there... The strength i use is the lowest and my hormones are crazy so i guess it isn't enough to keep it under control. But I will say that i don't understand why simple azeleic acid cleared me 99% and this doesn't? Well, maybe it will eventually, i still think that with isotretinoin things take time. I've been there before, on Accutane i STARTED clearing up around day 100! Pills take so long, let alone a topical treatment. I read my Roaccutane diary just now

So I am sure this will help. I need to be persistent. I just hope the pharmacy concoction (when she diluted my isotrex) is still good to use..:/ And that she didn't dilute it too much. Next time I'll ask her to not dilute it to 0.025 completely grinwink.gif

i am allergic to bp(i tried dan's products and my face burnt like thousands of wasps and my lips were swollen)

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 04/20/2013 11:18 pm

Youve still made a huge improvement in my opinion. Curious to see the next couple weeks!

MemberMember
(@adreamer)

Posted : 04/23/2013 1:31 pm

Thanks! week 13 was better than last few weeks but i can't upload my photos just yet , i am having some technical issues...i have taken pictures in sunday so i'll write an update tommorow (hopefully)

MemberMember
(@adreamer)

Posted : 04/30/2013 4:45 am

Hey guys! So firstly, i am sorry for being away for so long. Since my skin isn't getting any better(i mean red marks aren't going away) despite the fact i have been using this stuff over 14 weeks, i simply stopped using it a couple of days ago. I am not sure what else to write here... I decided to start doing OCM with castor and jojoba oil. I ordered both oils (cold pressed and organic) and until then i am only using my turmeric mask and my moisturizer.

I also decided to get some azeleic acid, since it saved my skin once already and i know i can count on it.

I am so sorry my attempt failed but this is life, not everyone benefits from the same thing. I guess i should keep looking.

Just to make this post less lame, i'll attach my pictures from week 13 smile.png

Would you guys want to read about OCM when i start doing it? Why OCM? I started watching this girl on Youtube who had pretty severe acne and her acne cleared up when she started doing OCM(username cloudyapples). And her skin now is flawless!! I truly belive and understand why oil could work. I am already pretty obsessed with oils when it comes to my diet so i am ready to give it a try.

Do you think i made a mistake by stopping? I mean, i feel things wouldn't get any better...Maybe i am wrong? Putting this Isotrex on felt like putting on nothing for the last month. I don't know what went wrong, maybe it's the isotrex and the fact i left it open lots of times and it went off. But i really don't want to use it anymore.

I'll try to get azeleic acid ASAP and tell you about that.

post-198388-0-82325100-1367315108.jpg

post-198388-0-40946900-1367315110.jpg

post-198388-0-82325100-1367315108.jpg

post-198388-0-40946900-1367315110.jpg

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 04/30/2013 1:39 pm

Well to me it doesnt look like you have any active spots its just red mark right? I was in a similar situations in January using Epiduo. I was on it for 6 months and only had red marks then I got frustrated the marks werent going away so I stopped and tried other things. That did not work at all for me though I started breaking out pretty bad and that when I decided to start Epiduo again. Any way thats just my story but again Im in the same situation as you regarding these red marks.. I dont know what to do.

I am interested in what you end up doing though.

MemberMember
(@adreamer)

Posted : 04/30/2013 3:15 pm

Well to me it doesnt look like you have any active spots its just red mark right? I was in a similar situations in January using Epiduo. I was on it for 6 months and only had red marks then I got frustrated the marks werent going away so I stopped and tried other things. That did not work at all for me though I started breaking out pretty bad and that when I decided to start Epiduo again. Any way thats just my story but again Im in the same situation as you regarding these red marks.. I dont know what to do.

I am interested in what you end up doing though.

Yes, week 13 i didn't have any active spots, you're right. Now, since i am not using this anymore, i already got a couple of new spots..

What my skin looks like now:It's mostly just little bumps and blackheads, these won't go away with tretinoin also red marks are still the same..which i hate because fading of the red marks and getting rid of unexplainable bumps and blackheads is mostly why i started using it!! before retin a and isotrex my skin was pretty nice with a couple of spots and red marks. and now this is such a disappointment because firstly it really broke me out and made my skin awful and then it never even took it to where it was before. my skin is worse then when i started!

i am sorry to hear you have the same problem as me, i know how it feels. it makes you feel like you still have horrible face with severe acne..

but i don't really give up, and neither should you! smile.png so i'll report here what i'll end up doing.

one minute after lol i already decided! i got my prescription today for az.acid so i'll pick it up in friday and start using it right away. along with even healthier diet, lots of water, even more exercise(if this is even possible since i am always moving one or the other way), OCM, sunscreen, turmeric. that's about it.

have a nice day guys i hope my diary doesn't discourage you...:/ every skin is different!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 04/30/2013 5:30 pm

Hey guys! So firstly, i am sorry for being away for so long. Since my skin isn't getting any better(i mean red marks aren't going away) despite the fact i have been using this stuff over 14 weeks, i simply stopped using it a couple of days ago. I am not sure what else to write here... I decided to start doing OCM with castor and jojoba oil. I ordered both oils (cold pressed and organic) and until then i am only using my turmeric mask and my moisturizer.

I also decided to get some azeleic acid, since it saved my skin once already and i know i can count on it.

I am so sorry my attempt failed but this is life, not everyone benefits from the same thing. I guess i should keep looking.

Just to make this post less lame, i'll attach my pictures from week 13 smile.png

Would you guys want to read about OCM when i start doing it? Why OCM? I started watching this girl on Youtube who had pretty severe acne and her acne cleared up when she started doing OCM(username cloudyapples). And her skin now is flawless!! I truly belive and understand why oil could work. I am already pretty obsessed with oils when it comes to my diet so i am ready to give it a try.

Do you think i made a mistake by stopping? I mean, i feel things wouldn't get any better...Maybe i am wrong? Putting this Isotrex on felt like putting on nothing for the last month. I don't know what went wrong, maybe it's the isotrex and the fact i left it open lots of times and it went off. But i really don't want to use it anymore.

I'll try to get azeleic acid ASAP and tell you about that.

Retin A will help with your marks over time. Since it cleared your acne, you should continue using it. I tried the OCM and my acne exploded - please reconsider. Retin A can sometimes take 6+ months and even longer to start fading marks so don't give up. The most important thing is to stop breaking out so your acne can heal

MemberMember
(@adreamer)

Posted : 05/01/2013 5:52 am

Thanks for your advice. Do you really think so? But somehow isotrex doesn't clear my pores... Little bumps i have on my face are still there! I don't know how to get rid of those.. And i am not sure if any of my other products i use are sabotaging me. like my moisturizers or my makeup?

Maybe i should continue to use it but truthfully i am not sure if my skin will get any better

Anyhow, i'll keep you updated. In two weeks time or so i plan to post pictures and then tell you what i have been using, i'll just do whatever will feel the right thing to do

Have a nice sunny day :)

MemberMember
(@mirili)

Posted : 05/01/2013 3:50 pm

I would also strongly recommend not to use the OCM. My skin is really similar to yours and OCM was disaster for me. The oil clogged my pores. Maybe it works for some people bbut I think that it really is not a good idea. I dont know how to help you though in terms of using isotrex. I think your acne is hormonal so maybe you should try something to sort out your hormones.

Good luck

MemberMember
(@adreamer)

Posted : 05/24/2013 4:46 am

mirili: thanks for your advice:) i stopped using my industrial castor oil because it clogged my pores..should have tried the organic one:/ but i still use jojoba oil for removing my makeup and it works great!my acne is indeed hormonal but i guess most of it is just genetics:(

So, for the last 3 weeks i have been using azelaic acid and like i said..I can count on it anytime. I had a little breakout when i first started but it was like 3 pimples. And funny-ever since i stopped using isotrex i haven't been breaking out on my neck! I apply azelaic acid on my face and neck and my skin is just getting better. It also diminishes any redness as it is also beneficial for eczema and any kind of irritation (which isotrex gave me). The second i put it on, the color of my face goes from red to pale. Some people experience itching but i've never had that problem:) It also doesn't give me oily skin at all! What i use is cream SKINOREN.

So, basically-isotrex and retin-a didn't help me and i am still recovering from breakout that both gave me. Azelaic acid is also great for hyperpigmentation and yes, it does work. So in like a few weeks time i'll attach some photos for you to see how my skin is doing:)

Just a warning for those of you who have skin that is extremely prone to clogging- try using a gel instead of cream formula :D

MemberMember
(@proudflip)

Posted : 05/28/2013 5:01 am

mirili: thanks for your advice:) i stopped using my industrial castor oil because it clogged my pores..should have tried the organic one:/ but i still use jojoba oil for removing my makeup and it works great!my acne is indeed hormonal but i guess most of it is just genetics:(

So, for the last 3 weeks i have been using azelaic acid and like i said..I can count on it anytime. I had a little breakout when i first started but it was like 3 pimples. And funny-ever since i stopped using isotrex i haven't been breaking out on my neck! I apply azelaic acid on my face and neck and my skin is just getting better. It also diminishes any redness as it is also beneficial for eczema and any kind of irritation (which isotrex gave me). The second i put it on, the color of my face goes from red to pale. Some people experience itching but i've never had that problem:) It also doesn't give me oily skin at all! What i use is cream SKINOREN.

So, basically-isotrex and retin-a didn't help me and i am still recovering from breakout that both gave me. Azelaic acid is also great for hyperpigmentation and yes, it does work. So in like a few weeks time i'll attach some photos for you to see how my skin is doing:)

Just a warning for those of you who have skin that is extremely prone to clogging- try using a gel instead of cream formula biggrin.png

Hi Adreamer, have you got updates on this?

MemberMember
(@adreamer)

Posted : 05/28/2013 8:53 am

Hi, no updates besides the fact my skin is getting better as the time goes by. Slowly.

When there is a vast improvement i'll post some pics, it's not worth posting any right now, just remind me in a few weeks time so i don't forget!

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 06/28/2013 7:09 pm

Any update??

MemberMember
(@adreamer)

Posted : 07/05/2013 3:47 pm

Hey guys!

If anyone still reads this smile.png

It's been a while i know and feel bad for not updating you guys. As i said, i was using azelaic acid but the summer was getting really hot and with azelaic acid you have to be careful since it's like a chemical exfoliant for your skin so it makes your skin thinner.

I stopped using it because if this. I don't want to spend my summer just hiding in the bushes all the time

i've got some pictures from the time i was using it:) to make it up to you guys

sooo after that i just used whatever on my skin. mostly was using turmeric mask but my face was turning more and more yellow so i figured it's better to use it once a week not every day, but i have to say turmeric does help with discoloration! Keep that in mind:) If you have sensitive skin, be careful, and dilute it very well with yoghurt

it's funny because i officially kind of weaned off all the acne stuff. my skin is not very good at the moment. but it's just little bumps and blackheads, i can't believe that i only have like one pimple at a time on my face! I have no idea why but after all of the mayhem.. it's almost as if i grew out of it a little. (out of the worst)

right now my "skin care routine" i am putting that in brackets because it's not really worth calling it like that. biggrin.png i just use water, sometimes a mild soap, jojoba oil for removing makeup which i will stop using because it has (i found out now) wheat germ oil in it which is HIGHLY comedogenic. -.-

my skin is still a mess. and i know that i am horrible when it comes to sticking with something but i don't know..i think i know when something is not going to work as well as i thought so why continue? so retin a brought soooo many stuff out of the blue and yes, while it dd actually clear up my acne almost entirely, it was making my skin sensitive, and making my red marks really prominent and emphasized..it was just the fact my skin was so irritated.it did get used to it in terms of not getting all red after putting it on, but my skin was indeed so sensitive and irritated...aand it would always bring up some type on cysts. and azelaic acid ... well, it's not needed anymore since i don't get any actual pimples, ..excuse me? did i just say that..of course i do get pimples lol. i do get quite a few of the monsters during the time of the month or like little ones whenever on my temples and neck or forehead. nothing like before where i got them on my cheeks and jawline. but i meant like real pimples, cysts.

so that's why i decided to try something internal. i've already started taking zinc because i read loads of good stuff about it. i don't have high expectations just trying something new. i am taking 30mg/day and i never feel sick after i take it. so we'll see. i should probably post this somewhere else..this is turning into a crazy long-ass monologue of a deranged pimply girl lol using a different thing every week.i hope it doesn't seem like that to you reading? hope not eusa_pray.gif

Anyway-zinc for me, we'll see. One thing i always do is wait until i see results/don't see any results. That's for sure. I won't start telling you guys about it and then just forgot about it for good. Because i see too many posts like i started this and that and you see the date is like 2007... :/ i wanna know what happened!

I might add beta-carotene, vitamin d or something like that in. i really want to try every single one until i find the right one

p.s you can see on the pics azelaic acid really helped. red marks are still there but what can you do in such a short period

post-198388-0-69055000-1373057046_thumb.

post-198388-0-77827100-1373057049_thumb.

post-198388-0-69055000-1373057046_thumb.

post-198388-0-77827100-1373057049_thumb.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/06/2013 12:12 pm

It's great that you are able to get away from most acne products. I am not at the point yet but hopefully one day. You seem to change up your regimen alot but again, if it works for you -go for it!

MemberMember
(@adreamer)

Posted : 08/05/2013 8:07 am

Sasch83; i know but through the years i have learned to tell if something is going to work and is worth trying or not.

Ok, so just to make a quick update! :)

Since the beginning of July i have been taking 30mg of zinc/ day and also taking a full teaspoon of turmeric/day. That's all i've been taking, nothing else.

Then, a week before my period i got a terrible breakout! That was a shame since my skin was doing so well. I have to tell you though, zinc and turmeric were both wonderful. They are both anti inflammatory and they both have healing benefits and ever since i started taking them, my skin OVERALL looks good and feels smooth and nice. Very reduced redness and i noticed (especially when applied topically) turmeric helps with hyperpigmentation-marks. My skin tone looks nicer and everything. Yes, i do have acne that are red and inflamed(mostly red marks now) but i am positive turmeric and zinc had nothing to do with it, i always break out before my period and this time was pretty bad. I reccomend taking zinc and turmeric, they've done a great job with me. Zinc will help heal acne faster therefore you will have less post acne marks. If you decide to take turmeric, be careful since it does make blood thinner and you can get the opposite effect-when you eat too much of it your healing process will last longer! I'd say a spoonful of it in a day is more than enough.

FOR ALL OF YOU WITH A STRANGE SKIN/SCALP CONDITIONS :)

I have to talk about something else. Did i say i have psoriasis on the lower part of my scalp? I am so happy while i am writing this because this is like a miracle. It's not like it happened unexpectedly, because i made a research about turmeric and found it can help me for more than just acne. TURMERIC (mostly)healed my psoriasis 90%. I say 90% because i do get an occasional itch.

I have never been diagnosed with psoriasis because skin conditions are so complex that very few people's conditions fall strictly into a certain category...My condition was looking most like psoriasis, i had(have) it only on my lower scalp, it got extremely itchy if i didn't wash my hair often, and i had scabs and not just regular dandruff but large flakes of shedding skin. I also had(have) regular dandruff on some parts of scalp. It's really difficult to say what this is exactly. It's just what it is. I've been using this special dandruff shampoo for years and it helped heaps but now i can go without it. I would only make sure i cleanse my scalp with rinsing with apple cider vinegar which also helps a lot. I am so happy to say that my condition is now under control!

I'd strongly recommend anyone with the same problems to try turmeric!

I have to give credit to stop drinking cow milk almost completely too. My stomach.. or pretty much whole digestive system is grateful, also i have noticed milk made my skin irritated and congested, i see a difference.

I's hard to say what exactly "makes difference". It's more complex than that. I guess zinc, turmeric, cow milk free diet all had effects from the inside.

i've been using La Roche Posay Effeclar DUO for two weeks now and i am not planning on stopping anytime soon. :) really smooths out skin and fades marks, so for a topical, it is helping a lot. But mostly it counts what i put into my body.

I have to post pictures of my skin as soon as my red marks heal a little to prove i am not talking rubbish! cool.png I just hope i don't jinx myself

heading to another topic to tell about psoriasiswub.png