Notifications
Clear all

Puffy Face From Spironolactone?

MemberMember
(@emt813)

Posted : 11/11/2012 9:22 am

Hey guys,

I have been taking Spironolactone for 42 days now. The first 16 days, I took 25 mg, but for the past 26 days I've been taking 50 mg. My skin is, without a doubt, going in the right direction. Unfortunately, I've noticed that my face looks puffy every day, all day. This morning I woke up and I could barely smile because my cheeks are so big. I took a Zyrtec last night because I've also been a little congested, and I'm afraid that it made the puffiness even worse! I also feel mildly dehydrated and I know that this can be a side effect of Spiro since it is a diuretic. I've been trying to drink water throughout the day but I usually get side tracked and forget to. Today I am going to force myself to drink at least one glass of water every hour that I'm awake. I'm also going to use a cold compress to try to bring down the puffiness under my eyes and along my cheeks. Has anyone else experience facial puffiness or dehydration from using Spironolactone? I have a dermatologist appointment on Monday but I really don't want to have her take me off of Spiro since my skin is looking so good. Let me know if you have had a similar experience, any advice would be much appreciated!

MemberMember
(@rightmeow)

Posted : 11/12/2012 3:59 pm

Sounds like an allergy! It could be an allergy to Spiro, or something else you're taking. Any new lotions? makeup? cleansers? topicals?

I found a water bottle keeps me hydrated. I quit soda about a year ago so it's easy to drink water all the time. If you make it a point to keep a water bottle next to you, you'll drink it all. I drink multiple bottles a day.

You can buy a reuseable bottle (if you're feeling green) or buy a 24 pack at the store.