Notifications
Clear all

Back On Antibiotics Again...waste Of Time?

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 11/07/2012 4:11 pm

So my dermatologist has put me on Lymecycline in an attempt to put my acne into remission. I can't help but think this is a waste of time.I have taken antibiotics in the past when i had acne in my early 20's (oxytetracycline, erythromycin, minocycline). Eventually I came off them as I was tired of having an upset stomach all the time, my acne did greatly subside. I mananged it with monthly glycolics facials, then i gradually grew out of it completely.

Then come this summer aged 28 my acne came back worse than ever.I'm so so oily all the time. I thought it might be something to do with my hormones so I requested a test but my doctor wasn't willing to do one.

I can't help but think this is a waste of time. Should I push for something else like Spiro? Chance it on the antibiotics? Take something crazy like accutane. I have no idea! I feel so depressed and exhausted by it.

MemberMember
(@this-is-my-name)

Posted : 11/07/2012 4:52 pm

i am also 28 and my skin has been oily so much! i don't know why, i have had acne for 4 years and my skin never seemed this oily until recently. i, too, think it might be my hormones but i am not sure... i think i have some serious imbalance in my genetic makeup. haven't tried to get tested for that, though. doctors don't want to help you solve your problems because then they can't make money off of you

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 11/07/2012 5:19 pm

Yeah same, it's really weird. It almost seems like my pores have dilated all over my face too. I keep looking at photos of myself a few months ago and wondering - what happened?! You mentioned you've had acne for 4 years, how do you treat yours?

Indeed, doctors don't really help much. They just seem to follow standard protocol when it comes to treatments.

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 11/07/2012 5:33 pm

I would never ever take antibiotics for acne. I've had to take them twice for other things and both times I spent the entire time worrying about what it'd do to my skin.

Just my two cents.

Best of luck though, whatever you do.

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 11/07/2012 5:55 pm

I would never ever take antibiotics for acne. I've had to take them twice for other things and both times I spent the entire time worrying about what it'd do to my skin.

Just my two cents.

Best of luck though, whatever you do.

Why would you never take antibiotics for acne? Have you had a bad experience?

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 11/07/2012 7:01 pm

Why would you never take antibiotics for acne? Have you had a bad experience?

Nope, it's just that the idea of killing all of the bacteria in my gut that seems completely counter-intuitive. Couple that with the fact that "everybody" warns about antibiotics, and they're kind of a last-resort type thing even for regular infections, and it just seems unsafe and not worth the risk. Sure, it might kill off your acne bacteria. But it'll kill off the bacteria that fights it too, and the acne could come back stronger.

Basically just not worth the risk. Why complicate things further?

MemberMember
(@miss-soloist)

Posted : 11/07/2012 7:08 pm

Yes I see what you're saying. I think it also depends on the kind of acne you suffer with. Mines been steadily getting worse and worse and pretty infected. I felt like i had no choice. I hate taking antibiotics for it but i'm not sure what else i can do at the moment. I'm scared about how i'm scarring too. You kind of get desperate you know? I'm taking probiotics so i hope it'll help a bit!

Generally speaking, the antibiotics they use are from the tetracycline family, there are still plenty they can use for other infections (not ideal though i know!)

MemberMember
(@mdp703)

Posted : 11/09/2012 9:21 am

Hi Miss soloist,

I have been in pretty much the same situation as you. Although my acne never went away, it was manageable for the last few years up until about four months ago. I became desperate and started minocycline just over two weeks ago. I don't think it's a bad idea as long as we do it aware of the side effects (killing off gut flora) and that an antibiotic is only temporary. With these things in mind, I have been taking super strength probiotics and am coming up with a variety of plans to help me wean off of the Min. For example, I've switched to a paleo diet (I already was on a no dairy, no sugar diet, but now am gluten free as well) and started a variety of supplements (vitamin e, omega 3, EPO etc). I also am contemplating a few other things, such as getting an acne red/blue light, birth control, or spiro for when it's time to come off the Min.

My derm felt that given how my acne was worsening, it was best to give me a short course of antibiotic to get it in check and then I can work towards finding a long term treatment/cure. I think this is fare.