Notifications
Clear all

2 Years Later: Re-Trying A Regimen That Previously Worked For Me!

MemberMember
(@alexaaa)

Posted : 08/30/2011 12:48 am

Alexa, thanks :D I use Covergirl Natureluxe, which is great because it has cucumber in it. I used to use Clinique Even Better Foundation, but that left me really greasy. Then I put Neutrogena Coverstick concealer on spots, and I use mineral powder from Neutrogena as a setting powder. :D No primer-- just wash my face with Manuka honey and then dab some tea tree oil, then do my makeup. Pretty simple. Make sure, when using any concealer, that it's not too light, or else it will just highlight your spots. Have fun with it! Make up is fun, it's like creating a piece of art on your face every morning! lol :D

Is the coverage good for Natureluxe? And does it look natural? I've seen the commercials and have been curious to try it. I used to use Cover Girl "clean" liquid makeup, which was anything but clean! I liked the full coverage but HATED how greasy and heavy it was. It literally felt like a mask on my face! So gross. Not to mention it broke me out, but that's not saying much since every foundation I've ever tried has been bad for my skin.. I'm cursed

But I agree, I love makeup! Doing my makeup is my favorite part of getting ready and I always watch beauty gurus on YouTube! Lol

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 08/30/2011 10:55 am

Alexa,

The coverage is good. It's not like, really really opaque, which makes it more natural looking than other makeup. Used in combination with concealer, it's my favorite makeup yet! It feels light on the skin, which is really important to me. I hate being able to feel the makeup on my face. Ick. haha.

I always watch youtube makeup videos too! Have you ever watched Kandee's Makeup tutorials? You should look them up. They're fun! haha :P

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 08/31/2011 2:00 pm

Hey ya'll!

Okay, we're on Day 13! I've not posted since Day 10 because class has started back up! But, just a quick update on how it's all going...

I'm actually getting used to my schedule, and my sleep has been messed up, so I haven't gone for a run in two days. Yick. I feel gross.

But nothing's changed! I'm still slowly improving. Although, I didn't take my Flax Seed one day, and I got a little spot. So, that could have been the reason.

Anyway, still doing the same regimen and everything. :P Need to go to the gym though! That's my goal for tonight. :P haha Quick Update: I did go to the gym! Go me!]

-Heidi

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 09/02/2011 1:59 pm

Hi!!!

DAY 15!

I think I've noticed an interesting trend...the two days in which I haven't taken my flax seed oil and B12, I've gotten little, minor spots. All the other days, I've been fine and no new spots show up. Connection? Not sure. But! I think it's true...flax seed, or anything with Omega 3's, helps. Try it out!

The next day, after taking my flax seed and B12, my little spot seemed to heal almost immediately. It's really interesting.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 09/13/2011 10:37 pm

Hey there!

Okay, so I've not been posting that much lately. This is because I'm clear of acne and I don't really have to think about it at all...

Guys, being healthy is all it takes. You just need to have the willpower to make that decision. Do what's good for your body, your soul, and your mind. You will see results. People should live this way, anyway...

So, go for that run, eat that fruit, DON'T eat that bag of chips...it feels good in the long run, I promise. :D

I'll keep posting periodically-- adding a new picture every so often.

Good luck everyone! If you have questions, let me know. :)

MemberMember
(@rockingredhead)

Posted : 09/20/2011 6:28 pm

hi heitea,

congratas on finding something that works! I too have found that flax seed oil and exercise REALLY helps. I'm just starting a super b complex supplement so hopefully that will help too. I love my natureluxe foundation too!! I use it as concealer as necessary so it has lasted a really long time. It's the best drugstore foundation I've ever used. covergirl tests on animals, though, so I prob won't buy it again. hopefully I will be clear by the time I run out! :P

keep us updated with progress and pics! :)

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 09/22/2011 9:19 am

OH! I had no idea Covergirl tested on animals! Geez! Well, never buying their products ever again... Thanks! :D

Love flax seed oil AND exercising! :D Good luck with the B complex! That's really great for your health, too! :D:D

MemberMember
(@natalie_xox)

Posted : 10/05/2011 7:55 am

What aloe vera do you use? I've been using Aubrey Organics Pure aloe vera but i think the vitamin e in it may be clogging me =\ It really helps with the redness though.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@peony7)

Posted : 12/29/2011 7:39 pm

OH! I had no idea Covergirl tested on animals! Geez! Well, never buying their products ever again... Thanks! biggrin.png

Love flax seed oil AND exercising! biggrin.png Good luck with the B complex! That's really great for your health, too! biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Hiya I am starting to look at the way I eat as well so your log is interesting for me. One thing I wanted to ask was why you take flax seed oil? Years ago I took this and I am pretty sure it reduced the oil on my skin, is this what you have noticed and do you know the reason for it? Many thanks x

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 05/01/2012 7:51 pm

Hey! So, I'm sort of starting over now...

I fell of the wagon, unfortunately... I stopped taking my supplements, stopped working out as much and it all went to crap. BUT! I'm re-starting. Actually, this is kind of neat because now I can see if it'll all work a second time. So, that's a good thing, right?

Here's what I'm doing NOW:

• Still a vegetarian

• Cutting dairy, gluten, and refined sugars (white bread, candy, etc) out

• Taking a daily women's multivitamin, a B12 vitamin, and a flax seed oil capsule (I KNOW-- gelatin, ew, gross. Oh well...)

• Exercising at least 3x a week (I'll up that number later-- gotta finish student teaching first)

• Drinking more water (not a specific amount, just MORE)

Let's see how this works out :P I'll start posting pictures soonish. My gallery shows my previous success, but for some reason, all the old comments got deleted. Whatever. haha.

-Heidi

MemberMember
(@allrighty)

Posted : 06/09/2012 11:56 pm

Manuka honey seems to give me blackheads and breakouts....even when just using it as a scrub...

Im using 100 percent tea tree oil, just dabbing it on the individual spots.

Hope its working for you...do u dilute the tto?

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 05/30/2013 7:32 pm

Hey therrrreee...

So, I've returned to this thread two years after I got clear for the first time. My results were so good. Why would I ever stop what I was doing?

I'm going back to my "natural" self. I was using Paula's Choice products for a while and they were doing a lot of good. The BAD was that they're so expensive!! I can't keep that up! So, what I'm going to do is:

Do ALMOST exactly what I was doing before to replicate the results! I read that I wasn't picking at all. That's awesome.

So here's what I'm going to do (haha, does this sound familiar?)

-No WHITE grains (white rice, white bread, plain white sugar)

-Lots of veggies & fruits & nuts

-Wash my face with (right now) local honey

-Apply lemon juice (this is new to the regimen that I was doing before)

-NO PICKING/TOUCHING/SQUEEZING!!

-Moisturize with coconut oil (this is new as well!)

-Workout everyday (1 day off a week tongue.png )

*Note: I'm also not going to take any supplements. I don't like them. I'd rather get what I need through food.

Also, it seems that POSITIVITY is key! biggrin.png Gotta maintain my positive attitude. Gotta get off my booty and do the things I want to. Gotta keep my mind off of acne smile.png

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 05/30/2013 7:49 pm

DAY 1 of RETEST:

This morning, I washed my face with some cleanser from Paula's Choice. That's ending today. No more of that cleanser. I'll be washing my face with honey now. I put benzoyl peroxide on my active zits (WHAT. WHY DID I DO THIS?!) Then I moisturized with coconut oil and threw on some makeup quickly. Then my boyfriend went to work so I washed my makeup off and did a honey/lemon/cinnamon/nutmeg mask for a half hour. I washed that off, put on some more coconut oil and put on my makeup.

I felt good about myself today. I feel fit and healthy and I like that my hair has grown out enough to put into a ponytail.

I ate SOO MANY VEGGIES today. :) I'm on a "diet" but what the heck? Why can't I take the "old me's" advice and just live and not obsess about food? I'm going to a music festival in a couple weeks and I wanted to look awesome for that. But...I need to not over analyze my diet. I'm hungry, dangit, so I'm gonna eat!

I've been running a lot lately because I'm readying myself for the Army Physical Fitness Test. My arm muscles have grown substantially due to all the push-ups. I feel healthy but also a little stressed because it's difficult applying for Officer Candidate School in the US Army all while teaching the young'ns in a school. It's summertime now so I can relax a little. I'll probably try out some yoga tomorrow while my boyfriend's at work. :)

I've also been able to control my picking. I have a log solely about picking on this site because it's such a problem for me. I need to stop telling myself that it's okay to pick. It's NOT a solution to the problem.

SO, TO CONCLUDE:

-Stopping Paula's Choice cleanser, adding honey as cleanser

-Adding coconut oil to regimen

-Removing benzoyl peroxide from regimen/adding tea tree oil to replace it

-Continuing to work out on a regular basis

-Sitting in the sunshine on a regular basis/Taking a Vitamin D supplement if there's no sun

-Continuing to work on picking

-Eating healthy, but not obsessing

-Staying positive :)

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 05/31/2013 7:12 am

DAY 2 (Morning):

Well, hm...it looks as though it's already beginning to work. haha

Last night, I washed my face with a washcloth to remove my makeup. Then I mixed a bit of lemon juice (because I had some extra lemons lying around) and some honey (not Manuka Honey, yet) and "washed" my face with that. After rinsing it off, I applied tea tree oil to any problem spots I had. I had a couple spots on my left chin/mouth area that I messed with (boo, need to stop touching my face!!)

Then I went to bed. smile.png

This morning, when I woke up, 3 out of 4 spots that I messed with were completely flat (but still a little red). My skin feels SO soft, and my old red marks continue to fade.

Here's what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast: Whole wheat toast with coconut oil, honey, and cinnamon

Coffee with cream and cinnamon (I love cinnamon haha)

Snack: Almonds and an apple

Lunch: Sauteed peppers (red, orange and yellow) in olive oil and garlic

Snack: Coffee and a bite of strawberry shortcake (they were giving out free samples at the coffee shop!!)

Pickled okra (2)

Dinner: Sauteed onions, tomatoes, and spinach in olive oil and garlic

**Walk with the dogs and workout**

Snack: Protein bar and a few almonds

(@LewisS)

Posted : 05/31/2013 7:44 am

I love the idea of going all natural. I'ts definitely something I want to do in the future.

I really want to try the 'no-poo' method for hair too. You just use a baking soda/water mixture for a shampoo and an ACV/water mixture for conditioning.

When I get my diet under control, I'll definitely hunt down some good natural products. OTC ones are just way too expensive.

Hope it works as well as it did the first time! :)

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 05/31/2013 3:02 pm

I love the idea of going all natural. I'ts definitely something I want to do in the future.

I really want to try the 'no-poo' method for hair too. You just use a baking soda/water mixture for a shampoo and an ACV/water mixture for conditioning.

When I get my diet under control, I'll definitely hunt down some good natural products. OTC ones are just way too expensive.

Hope it works as well as it did the first time! smile.png

Seriously, why are products so expensive? Ugh... I'm glad that my Paula's Choice log could inspire you, but geez! That stuff is expensive. I could afford it, but I'm not sure I want to?

I've thought about the 'no-poo' method, as well. I love the idea of not using shampoo and conditioner in my hair. My hair tends to get greasy easily, and the 'no-poo' method is supposed to remedy that. Hm. I might try it. I am on summer break and wear my hair up pretty much every day anyway. I think I'll trial it!

Thanks for the support! It's only been one day, and I started out with a few active spots, so I'm not getting QUITE the same results as I was when I first did this, but I'm hoping for similar results eventually! One thing I really need to work on is touching my face! It's difficult.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 06/01/2013 9:23 pm

DAY 3 (Nighttime):

Last night, I went out with my friends and had a couple drinks (only 3 in a 6 hour time period). It was fun! I had a great time.

When I got home, it was about 3am and I was so tired...but I washed my face anyway, put some honey on there and washed it off. But....then I did put some tea tree oil on my face, and I put WAY too much. In fact, I even said to myself: "This is too much tea tree oil. Your face will be itchy tomorrow. And blotchy. And scaly." But, I left it on anyway because apparently, even though I was thinking quite logically, my body thought I was stupid.

So this morning, my face was literally oozing out of a rash that appeared on my cheek. hahahaha...oh lovely.

I placed some aloe vera and hyrdocortisone cream on it and put a small bandaid on it all day. My ENTIRE face itches though and has a less severe rash on it, so I'm doing a honey and cinnamon mask right now to calm it down.

Tea tree oil is ONLY good for spot treatment, undiluted. haha. Funny thing is that I knew that...but still failed to follow through.

So, while that rash heals, the acne under it is ALSO healing. yaaaaay! That makes the rash more bearable. Tomorrow when the rash (hopefully) has gone away, I'll get some real medicinal-smelling Manuka honey to wash my face if I can find some at the store. Otherwise, I'll order some.

OH! and today I remembered why I stopped using this treatment. One day, I sat on my sink and PICKED AND PICKED at my face. This caused my face to explode in zits and breakouts, so I went crazy desperate and used different products on my face. Then I just continued from there...and started habitually picking again. Boooooo.... I need to remember that this time. Picking leads to bad problems.

Anyway, here's what I ate today:

I didn't work out today due to my rash. I didn't want to irritate it more by getting hot during my workout. :) But I ran 3 miles yesterday in the SUPER HOT SUN...with sunscreen!

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 06/02/2013 9:15 am

Hello!

I have a rash all over my face! For some reason, this is funny to me. I have no idea why because it is NOT cute. Next time, I won't bombard my skin with tea tree oil. I do love tea tree oil, but not when it burns my face off. The good thing about tea tree oil is that this only happens if I use too much. When I use benzoyl peroxide, this happens no matter how much I use.

In order to combat the dryness and itchiness, I took a benadryl (tiiiiired)...then I put some aloe vera mixed with coconut oil all over my face. I did that about 3 times. Once before bed, once in the middle of the night because I couldn't stand the itching, and now once in the morning. I'm trying to make the swelling/itching/redness go down before I have to go bowling with my family tonight!

But! Good news is that I only have one active zit right now! My forehead is so smooth and soft and once my rash goes away, my cheeks will be as well! I think the active zit is an allergy bump though, so I may not have ANY actives. smile.png I squeezed at the bump though. Of course nothing came out. Oh well, won't do that again! Just gotta forgive myself and move on!

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 06/03/2013 2:49 pm

DAY 5!

My rash is almost gone, thankfully! It's been SO ITCHY and almost burn-like. I've still been gentle with my skin and trying to heal it back to normalcy.

How I've been treating my skin:

), teaching my dog new things, painting, etc

-Trying to eat the healthier option when it's there! What I mean is...not stressing about eating bad stuff, but if I have the option of something nutritional but still yummy, I choose that. For example, I had a slice of pizza and some fries yesterday at the bowling alley but didn't stress about it because later that day, I exercised (because I wanted to, not because of calories) and had some really good sauteed peppers/onions/mushrooms!

I want to add that I don't think that food affects my acne that much DIRECTLY. It's possible that sugar and dairy (aka lactose, which is a sugar) does A LITTLE because it affects insulin, which is a hormone. But the reason I'm incorporating good diet habits into my regimen is because I find that eating well and feeling good makes me happy, which lowers my stress levels. Stress DOES affect my acne. :D

MemberMember
(@elliew8)

Posted : 06/04/2013 6:28 am

Hey, I'm trying to go more natural with products and starting a healthier eating diet too, will be interesting to see if it works for you second time around, fingers crossed!

I agree that diet doesn't directly affect my acne - eating junk food usually makes me lethargic and feeling not so great about myself which I think contributes to picking...also I've noticed that white grains tend to affect my stomach and these kind of problems apparently cause acne too, either way I'll be damned if I'm not gonna eat a slice of pizza! It's the same with exercise - I have no idea if the sweating affects my acne but the endorphines definitely help with stress and stop me feeling restless (which usually leads to picking).

I'm trying apple cider vinegar as a toner at the minute after having quite limited success with tea tree oil, have you ever used ACV before? Also do you spot treat with TTO on active (unpicked) stuff or just the open scab-like ones?

Just wondering with aloe vera, have you noticed that your skin feels even drier than pre-application after a few hours? I started using it when my tan was peeling and it totally got rid of it within a few seconds but it came back with a vengeance a few hours later - whereas my normal after-sun cream worked until the next time I showered...just curious more than anything - I've got heat rash on my arms at the minute so might try and see if it works for rashes better than flakey skin :S

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 06/04/2013 9:23 am

Ellie, it's funny that you bring up aloe vera because I was literally going to update about it today! I was actually going to say the same thing that you said-- it does seem to make my skin MORE dry than before. I use the stuff out of the bottle that says "100% Pure aloe vera" But then I turn it over and there are more ingredients than aloe vera. haha...When I use the stuff directly out of the plant, my sunburns and redness goes away completely within 7-10 hours, but who has time or space to grow enough aloe vera plants to use everyday? haha

I decided to only use coconut oil last night on my rash and this morning, it was almost completely gone and the redness is practically disappeared. I've actually used coconut oil on a heat rash before and it definitely soothed it. Last semester, one of my students came in with a really bad sunburn that was blistering. I told her to get some coconut oil and put it on her skin and the next day, her skin looked much better and was less red. She said her skin was softer too and actually thanked me! Ah, high schoolers... haha

I have used ACV before. I actually quite like it, but I ended up using it more in my "homemade" spot treatments (a little ACV with a crushed aspirin-- works well on those painful swollen ones!). The tea tree oil is used for either picked OR nonpicked zits as a spot treatment ONLY. Just put a little on a cotton q-tip and dab it on the zit. I'm not sure why I'd ever do full-face tea tree oil. Just goes to show what lack of sleep can do to a person. haha

DAY 6

Update on my skin:

My skin is looking so lovely! I woke up this morning and touched my face to see if my rash was gone and all that's left of it is just a couple dry flakies! :D woo!

I looked in the mirror and my red marks (and the red from the rash) have faded dramatically! And my pores look smaller.

I think that I actually might be replicating my results right now. I'm so excited.

Just a quick reminder of what I'm doing day & night:

Day:

Splash face with warm water

Put a quarter size amount of manuka honey on face and gently massage.

Leave on for 5 minutes (if time allows, otherwise just wash it off)

Put coconut oil on face (just a tiny!)

Makeup (If anyone has questions about my makeup routine, just ask! :) )

Night:

Wipe some makeup off with warm water/hands/washcloth

Put a small amount of manuka honey on hands (sometimes I put a squeeze of lemon, too) and cleanse face

Rinse with water

Pat dry

Add coconut oil (more than daytime)

SLEEEEEP :P

And of course, to keep stress levels down:

-Exercise almost everyday (5-6 times a week for at least 30 mins)

-Eat well (don't stress over it, though! Relax....) Also, I've been a vegetarian for 2 years. Not sure if this affects acne. Probably not. haha

-Get some sun or get a vitamin D capsule

-Smile!

MemberMember
(@elliew8)

Posted : 06/04/2013 10:38 am

weird eh! yeah I love aloe vera for sunburn works a treat...I've been putting it on any post-picking scabs recently too and I think it's actually drying them up and making them heal quicker which is good but just unexpected since I've always thought it was hydrating :S

I've seen a few posts about coconut oil but I'm a bit nervous because I have oily skin, I think I have a coconut oil moisturiser somewhere though so I'll definitely put it on the arm rash. I'll bear in mind the aspirin/ ACV combo next time I get a big one too. When I was using the TTO I was diluting it on a cotton pad then putting it on my forehead but never really noticed much difference, I'll give it a go for spot treatment - although I'm kind of neosporin-dependent!

Also I've noticed you're taking vitamin d when you don't get any sun, do you find it helps with your skin or is it just for a little mood booster? I'm starting a vitamin d experiment so just wondered if it makes much difference or not?

Happy to hear you're seeing results...just stay away from the mirror and think about waking up every day feeling as good about your skin as you do today :)

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 06/05/2013 12:20 pm

Ellie- I take vitamin D when I don't get sun because my body is quite sensitive to hormone imbalances. In your body, vitamin D is a hormone. When I lack sun (and consequently, vitamin D3), I feel moody and angry and *stressed.* So, I'm not sure if it directly affects my acne, but the stress does. Let me know about your experiment and what your results are!

DAY 7:

Did a manuka honey/lemon mask last night and my normal routine this morning. Picked JUST ONE zit this morning. I need to pick JUST NONE, though. haha. The zit is on my forehead and I'm not sure why it popped up. Could be because I was touching my face last night.

My skin is continuously improving. It's still a little rough and bumpy from my rash, but is healthy otherwise. There are still red marks, but each day they lighten in color. I'm okay with one or two zits, as long as I don't have to be afraid of HUGE breakouts.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 06/09/2013 9:32 am

DAY 11:

Ah! I'm getting the same results as I did the first time I did this! I started out with a worse breakout this time, so I have more red marks...but I have zero breakouts! tongue.png

I think the trick for me is to not think about my acne so much...as in, to not stress out about it in such a way that causes me to touch my face or pick or scratch at it. If I start thinking about it as something that is separate from me and can be treatable, such as a bug bite, then I get results much faster.

Whenever I have a bug bite, I don't scratch it because I know that if I do, it won't go away as fast. This is a new mindset I have for my acne. If I touch it, it will prolong its existence. If I leave it alone, it will go away faster.

biggrin.png I'll post pictures soon!

P.S. I got a tiny sunburn yesterday at the lake! sad.png

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 06/10/2013 10:40 pm

DAY 12:

My face is super soft right now! biggrin.png

So, I went to the lake with my friends a couple days ago. After the lake, we were at my friend's apartment and we were planning on going out. Well! I took a shower at her place and all she had was some body wash in her shower, so I used that all over (including my face). I don't think that it bothered my face all that much. Thank goodness!

Although...today I went on a picking spree... sad.png After about 15 minutes of picking, I looked at myself in the mirror with tears in my eyes and whispered "Heidi, you need to stop now. What are you doing to yourself?" So I stopped. And then I did a lemon/manuka honey mask that instantly made my face a lot less red.

But as a result of the picking, I have two real actives on my face now. One on my cheek and one on my chin. I just put a green tea bag all over my face and have been putting warm compresses on the areas all day. They are WAY less painful now and fading fast, thankfully. Two days until the music festival...all I want is clear skin for it.