Notifications
Clear all

oily dry burning face :

MemberMember
(@carefulartist)

Posted : 04/10/2016 12:25 pm

Hi!  My face is always superdry BUT oily at the same time. The oil and dry skin is on the T zone. Its like I am super super dry but have a greasy and oily film over the dryness. Have this also under my eyes. The skin looks crepey and pink with big pores and i am looking old :(  have wierd lines between the pores .. .. i am only 29   

The skin  use to burn from different triggers. I also have weird bumps that looks like clogged pores or blackheads in clusters but i can't squeez them : s  I also have  normal acne on the chin and forehead.

All moisturisers makes skin MORE dry and more red ! Even my own sweat burns and makes me super red and dry and gives me more bumps.

I am looking for a cleanser and a moisturiser that wont clogg my pores or dry out the skin. Everything I have tried so far burns the skin :s

It feels so uncomfortable to be so dry ! It stings when i move my face because skin is so dry . When i smile it stings and skin gets so red it almost looks purple. But at the same time  It feels like the sebum itself irritates the skin :s 

My dermatologist have given me Erythromycin but it just helps a little for the bumps.

I tried cetaphil gentle skin cleanser but it was horrible!
It made my face more dry ,red, itchy and left a sticky feeling that was hard to wash of ( almost impossible) . It looked like i got irritant dermatitis from it. I think I am allergic to propyene glycol.  Bioderma sensibo clensing water did the same thing and it also contains propylene glycol so it has to be an allergy to it.

Have also tried a lot from la roche posay and avene but they all burned really bad!

Products with paraffinum liquidum or mineral oil burns and makes skin worse. Tried vaseline one time and omg it burned :(

Only thing right now that my face can tolerate is just plain greek yoghurt .  ( have tried raw honey and aloe vera but got allergic reaction from  both) 

Need advice :(

MemberMember
(@kypharmgirl)

Posted : 04/10/2016 3:26 pm

This sounds like classic seborrheic dermatitis. Most people try to treat the seemingly dry skin with moisturizers, but this only exacerbates the condition. It is actually related to an overproduction of sebum and the growth of Malasseziayeast that feeds on it! While it is a chronic condition, it can be controlled! While a mild steroid is often needed to bring the inflammation and flaking under control, many people have success with ketoconazole cream or washing with a dandruff shampoo such as Nizoral, Selsun or Head and Shoulders. But it's good to visit your doctor for an official diagnosis. Most of the time a family practitioner can treat the condition, but an exceptionally stubborn case may need the expertise of a dermatologist.

MemberMember
(@carefulartist)

Posted : 04/10/2016 10:58 pm

Thank you for your answer:) my dermatologist says its normal acne or a mix with rosacea. I will ask him about seb derm:)

can seb derm cause bumps that looks like red pimples but without the pus? He think the bumps are acne . But the antibiotics doesnt help much . Just helps a little.

can seb derm cause skin thickening?

MemberMember
(@hopeless87)
MemberMember
(@carefulartist)

Posted : 04/12/2016 2:09 am

More suggestions of skin care?

BellaO liked
MemberMember
(@jadeunicorn)

Posted : 04/12/2016 2:51 pm

Hey Careful Artist. My god, I know how you feel right now. I also have suffered from eczema, acne, dermatitis and combination skin. I know how it feels trying ridiculous home therapies, strange oils and 'miracle' cleansers. I will share my recent breakthrough with this because it's changed my life and I know how hopeless it feels. 

Core advice: keep it simple. The less products you use, the better. You also sound like you are very much having an allergic reaction, I would seriously recommend trying to cut out any dairy you are eating/drinking, and trying the below solutions:

The cleanser: LUSH Angels on Bare Skin cleanser. This is a paste that is sold by organic and cruelty free wonder company LUSH (I'm assuming you're in the States, I'm pretty sure it's available there as I'm in London but either way I'm pretty sure they deliver). It's nothing fancy, but it is the only thing that does not make my face freak out, mainly because it isn't full of gunk and chemicals. It calms redness and helps slough dead skin, a major cause of acne and dermatitis because a lot of this is from dry skin issues as well as oil. I have been using this stuff for 5 years.

The moisturiser: Avene Cicalfate Restorative cream. Honestly, this stuff is incredible, it helps hugely with not only dermatitis but overall redness and acne-prone 'angry skin' and has changed my life in the past week I've been using it. Not only this, but it helps heal marks, I believe because of the copper in it. Anything with zinc, copper and sulfur really helps my skin, so consider taking a zinc supplement. My complexion is so much better after using this and I have tried EVERY moisturiser out there.

Sunblock: ESSENTIAL if you want to reduce scarring and improve skin tone. Roche Posay skincare is generally fantastic, specifically their Anthelios XL Comfort Cream for sun protection. It happens to work brilliantly with Avene moisturiser as well, as they are both light but moisturising and will not clog your pores with crap.

The 'bumpy dermatitis' remedy: PurePotions skin salvation. I was having a horrible dermatitis outbreak a while back and I looked like I'd been burnt. This stuff moisturises and heals the afflicted area (mine was always on my cheekbones!) I got mine in a beauty store but you can order it online. This is specifically for dermatitis areas, it contains natural oils and although I haven't found it to break me out, I wouldn't put it all over your face as it's an ointment, use the above moisturiser for that.

I hope this helps. I can't tell you how many times I have trawled this website looking for help with my skin, that Avene moisturiser is an absolute game changer. I'd also recommend staying away from any chemical exfoliants, harsh salicylic/benzoyl peroxide treatments and 'creamy' cleansers. That is just what has worked for me though, so I wish you good luck! :)

MemberMember
(@bellao)

Posted : 03/14/2018 1:08 pm

On 12/04/2016 at 8:09 AM, CarefulArtist said:

More suggestions of skin care?

lHave the exact same skin problems as you described, and the same reaction to ceptiphil and honey am also looking for a way to clean and moisturise, did you ever find a solution?