Notifications
Clear all

Constantly red face

MemberMember
(@poppy21)

Posted : 01/27/2016 12:17 pm

Hey all. I've had acne for a long time (since I was 12, moderate-severe since I was 16, am now 24). I finally bit the bullet and started accutane. So far so good, though of course the horror stories still terrify me.

I have quite a bit of PIH but what really bothers me (aside from my pitted scars, of which I have no shortage) is my red face. I'm trying to be gentle with my skin, but have no idea what I'm doing wrong. It's like right under my eyes is normal colored skin, and then about an inch down from my bottom eyelid the super-redness starts and covers the tops of my cheeks. Just solid redness. I've had this problem for a few years now, actually. I'd attach a picture but can't find a good one as I usually wear makeup to try and make it less noticeable.

I HATE the way my skin looks with makeup so want to wear less or cut it out completely, but I can't because the tops of my cheeks are just permanently red. It's a sharp contrast, for sure.

Right now, my regimen is:

AM:
Wash face with Cetaphil for sensitive skin
Spritz face with rose water
Nutrogena sensitive skin moisturizer SPF 50
Makeup on the red part (Clinique's redness control)

PM:
Wash face with Cetaphil
Use a bit of emu oil (heard it was good for inflammation)
Moisturize with Epicuren hydro plus moisturizer

I'm not really sure why my face is just constantly red, am I still being too harsh?

MemberMember
(@annie4004)

Posted : 02/18/2016 4:30 am

The Accutane is causing the redness. It usually begins to subside at 6-8 weeks and should be completely gone by week 12. Is the rose water fragranced? You'll want to avoid all fragranced products while on Accutane. Check the ingredients on the Neutrogena SPF - chemical sunscreens can irritate hypersensitive skin. If you feel a tingly/burning/uncomfortable sensation when applying it, then switch to a physical sunscreen. Emu oil is good stuff. Be patient. Be gentle. No rubbing, no scrubbing and NO PICKING (you will scar) and be liberal with the sunscreen. When in doubt, put more on.