Notifications
Clear all

Free from Rosacea - lots of info

MemberMember
(@sar9876)

Posted : 10/11/2015 11:06 am

First post after using this board forever. I hope to help someone avoid what I went through. I had swelling, blisters and deep red, itchy skin and eyes.

For me, rosacea had an autoimmune component, but I'll tell you what helped me immensely before I found good professional care.

I went on a strict anti-inflammatory diet. Raw vegetables, some fruit, helped immensely, especially green vegetables. Cutting out wheat, dairy and alcohol (or at least only drinking vodka,etc) were the biggest help by far though. I was able to eat rice, rice cakes, with no problem, so that made it easier to stick to.Those two along helped me at least 30%. Most of us know this, but I'm telling you I got results only with the combination of all those changes, so for those who have not ventured to be so 'extreme', I'd say it's worth it. I wasted a lot of time trying only one change at a time.

Avoiding migraine triggers is also crucial for me. There is a shared vascular component triggered by tyramine for people who flush. Google the list of foods, and avoid fermented food as well. This also help ~20%. You could start by avoid the foods highest in tyramine and see what happens. People have talked about amines, but I had to combine avoiding them with everything else for it to work.

I believe for many of us there is an autoimmune component. If your doctor tests your ANA, you'd get some initial information. Even if you don't have a high ANA, if your problem is severe, see if a rheumatologist or dermatologist would prescribe plaquenil. It's pretty safe, and once this started working, it really controlled my skin.

Finally, once I went on more powerful immune suppressants, it became totally under control. No swelling, no redness, and am able to return to using retinoids. Any acne has most disappeared as well. f you happen to have an underlying condition that is broader than just your skin, it's good to start treating it now.

If diet isn't enough, I recommend you seek medical treatment for connective tissue disorders because I'd be very surprised if it didn't help.