Notifications
Clear all

Please Help - Rash That Wont Go Away

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 10/30/2012 3:03 pm

yeah my face is red like that. i am sending you a pic. i wont send you one of my nose cuz its gross but you get the idea. yeah i hear ya there with acne it doesnt spread like that. shit i used to complain about a few zits. i wont do that anymore once this goes away. i am afraid to use this nizoral stuff but i think i am going to try it on my nose area and a few other places to see how it goes before i use it on my entire face ya know? i am so paranoid at this point to try anything! you know when i was at the derm he was like well you dont have cancer or anything major so try to relax. i wanted to punch him. if his face looked like mine he wouldnt be talking like that!

post-30169-0-93461100-1351627415_thumb.j

post-30169-0-93461100-1351627415_thumb.j

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 10/30/2012 3:23 pm

It's not by any chance called noritate cream is it? That's the stuff I have lol. And your face looks exactly like mine did when I first got it! The cream deffinetely helps with the redness! Do you have lil bumps all over?

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 10/30/2012 3:50 pm

It's not by any chance called noritate cream is it? That's the stuff I have lol. And your face looks exactly like mine did when I first got it! The cream deffinetely helps with the redness! Do you have lil bumps all over?

the stuff is actually called KETOCONAZOLE 2% wash but the generic name i think is nizoral. did the stuff work for you? its odd the right side of my face is worse than my left. i have a ton around my nose and a decent amount on my forehead though.

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 10/30/2012 5:28 pm

Yeah my left side has always been worse! And I started with a lot on my lower half of my face. It's just weird that we have them on our forehead and cheeks? Cuz perioral is supposed to be around the mouth and rarely around the forehead and cheeks etc.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 11/01/2012 9:13 am

Yeah my left side has always been worse! And I started with a lot on my lower half of my face. It's just weird that we have them on our forehead and cheeks? Cuz perioral is supposed to be around the mouth and rarely around the forehead and cheeks etc.

wow that is strange huh? the only thing i can think of is that we used more of the irritating product on one area than the other? i dont know unless one side of our face is more sensitive than the other. hmmm. i am calling my derm now to make an appointment for patch testing. i am not looking forward to it but i want to make sure i know exactly what i am allergic to. i am thinking its probably a few different things.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 11/10/2012 2:16 pm

Aballarina. so how is your face now? That fungal wash is clearing me up really good but I got some new spots around the mouth area and I am getting nervous it will come back. Is this normal? I don't know if I should go back to my derm or not. They aren't huge or anything but it just worries me. I just want this all to be done and over with. ugh!

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 11/10/2012 11:26 pm

The way I looked at it is like the journey with accutane. Even as its doing it's job, you still get

A

Couple here an there until the meds are fully kicked in! It happened to me.. Or if I ate spicy food like wings, or the first time I tried a cetaphil wash after I got a couple, so maybe it's something new you tried?? Perioral dermatitis is a bitch, but. Don't have perioral dermatitis left now. But I am also scared That once I stop my meds it might come back if I use the wrong thing! Just make sure you use your cream and antibiotics for a while after its gone! I think I had traces of this for all together.. A month and a half. So deffinetely don't get discouraged! Keep me updated!

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 11/12/2012 10:25 am

ok cool i was getting really worried that it might come back. that scares the crap out of me because i cant go through this again. the only thing that i can think of that i did differently was i used a little bit of makeup because i went to a concert and a tiny bit of moisturizer because i have been super dry lately. i think the fungal wash is really drying me out and its hard because i dont know which moisturizer to use these days. i found some samples i had of this la roche posay brand and used it on my forehead for a week with no issues so maybe it was the makeup. i am so glad that your dermattiis is gone. i bet you are so relieved. i started getting this on october 1st and then 3 weeks ago after the hair dye is when it was at its worst but i pray and hope that its gone totally by december or even before christmas would be good!! they gave me clindamycin to use and i have used it on some of the spots but find it doesnt do much. i wonder if i should be using it all over my face though. what do you think?

thank you so much for your kind words and for helping me through this. things are definitley 80% better since the pic I posted but now with time of the month coming up i am getting some acne from that. ugh its always something!

take care!!

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 11/12/2012 12:34 pm

I heard folic acid supplements help with Rosacea and Rosacea based acne. Also try drinking apple cider vinegar before each meal. Don't put harsh chemicals on your face, opt for a diluted apple cider vinegar toner on a cotton ball and some aloe vera moisturizer.

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 11/12/2012 9:00 pm

Yeah I use apple cidar (the organic) on my face as a toner. It really helped dry out the dermatitis! Don't worry , it took a while to completely rid myself of it. I did use mineral makeup , but never moisturizers. I do think avoid sls tho in your moisterizures. I never got acne while I had this condition, but I can tell you once it's gone it's GONE!:)

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 11/13/2012 11:27 am

thank you both for the info about apple cider vinegar. where do i buy it? it wont make anything worse right? you use it all over your face then? ok good to know i will stay away from the moisturizer completely for now its just so hard because my skin is literally flaking off. ugh!! yeah only i would get acne with dermatitis - blah! i think what is happening is that being on that high dose of steroids and then upping my doxy has made my hormones go crazy around this time around. i know it sounds odd but every single time i start taking a higher dose of antibiotics it messed up my cycle and then makes me break out the first month then after that i am fine. not sure why that is though but i cant wait to get this all done and over with so that i can go back to my normal routine and life. thank you so much again for listening.

i cant remember if i ever asked you but did you ever do patch testing? i think i need to do that to make sure i am not using anything that could be making this stick around longer.

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 11/13/2012 5:58 pm

Nope I never had that, I don't really have many allergies. I bought mine from a health food store cause it has to be organic. With "the mother" it helps dry the little bumps out, really helped me. I still use it cause it is a nice natural toner that makes your skin glow.your using steroids? And I'm still on minocycline for a couple more weeks to make sure the virus doesn't come back.

Ps. Is the dermatitus around your mouth or on your cheeks?

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 11/14/2012 8:52 am

you know me either but i figure i better get this all figured out before i try to wash my face with normal cleanser again. its tough because i think it was the salicylic acid in the cleanser i was using but not sure because when i switched to my other cleanser that had no salicylic acid in it i was still getting spots all the time so not sure what was going on there. i have an appt on 11/26 for the patch testing so i will find out later on that week what all i am allergic to. should be interesting. thanks for the info for the apple cider vinegar. i have a whole foods near my work so i can stop there and pick some up. i am not on steroids anymore i was on them for 7 days a few weeks ago i just think the steroids messed up my cycle. my system is very sensitive and if i change anything in my routine it screws up my cycle. i dont know why that is but its very annoying. i am still on the 200mg of doxy and i think my derm plans to keep me on that for a while until this is completely gone.

the dermatits is mostly gone but but i got about 5 spots on the outer parts of my face and some around my upper lip so its a lot better i just want it to be gone -ha!! thanks for all the info.

MemberMember
(@itsnoteasybeinggreen)

Posted : 11/14/2012 2:20 pm

Hi I read your story and it is very similar to mind. Quickly my story I had acne then went on Proactiv cleared my skin perfect for 8 years, then I stopped taking Birth Control Pills, I got a few pimples so I decided to use Extra Strength Proactiv, at first it worked but slowly my face got red then red and flesh colored bumps, finally one morning I woke with a flaming rash. I went to the ER and they gave me steroids and hydrocortisone cream, and told me to use only water on my skin. Within a few days my skin calmed down but the bumps remained so I went to derm. He have my doxy and metro gel. Well the next morning I woke with 100s of bumps and cysts. I went to another derm gave me more steroids, a face wash, more topicals. It was a roller coaster of better to worse. The doctors were just guessing at this point and I ended up on Acutane. But even after the Accutane the red bumps came back. Long story short, I finally discovered I was allergic to Salcilyic Acid. And Extra Strength Proactiv has SA which is what started my problem. And the rash kept coming back bc SA is in a lot of products: make up, shampoo, almost all organic products, anything with mint flavor like tooth paste and mouthwash, foods and you can have a reaction if you eat that same food everyday. Basically when you look on the label if the letters SAL start any ingredient it is a form of Salcilyic Acid.

And once you upset you skin, it takes months to settle if you keep throwing stuff on your skin.

What I did and I'm not saying it will work for you but what I did was washed my effected areas once a day with head and shoulder shampoo for a liitle over and month. I also use small amount of prescription hydrocortisone on really itchy areas, once it calmed down I started washing with just water. But of course for me I have acne and even after taking Acutane I needed something keep the oil down so I went back on regular Proactiv once a day at night.

And now I test products for days on the inside of my arm before I use them on my face. It took me weeks to find a make up that worked for me. And I had to change tooth pastes and can't use mouth wash at all now or I get bumps around my lips.

I don't know if my story really helps you but since your problem sounded so similar I thought I would share.

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 11/14/2012 3:57 pm

Thanks for your story! Dermatitis can be such a hassle.

You know what I did once my dermattis was gone Tracy? I went to the body shop and bought the tea tree collection. I didn't want to use any harsh chemicals anymore but I found this collection really cleaned my skin! So I deffinetely recommend going there and picking some out, instead of trying all the acne fighting ones. I can't wait to be off the antibiotics! Hopefully we will never experience this again lol

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 11/14/2012 4:59 pm

wow, itsnoteasybeinggreen, that is a very interesting story. i bet it is the salicylic acid then. i will have to make sure i am not using anything with that in it. i am using nizoral on my face since that is what the derm gave me and then i wear no makeup and am not using any moisturizer anymore at all. i use fluoride free toothpaste but will have the check the ingredients. i also use carmex but thats it right now. that is crazy how you had such issues as well. i have been doing that with products now too and i have no issues on my arm with anything so not sure if it would be safe to try certain things now on my face or not. i think what bothers me the most is acne with the dermatitis. how is your skin now?

Thanks for your story! Dermatitis can be such a hassle.

You know what I did once my dermattis was gone Tracy? I went to the body shop and bought the tea tree collection. I didn't want to use any harsh chemicals anymore but I found this collection really cleaned my skin! So I deffinetely recommend going there and picking some out, instead of trying all the acne fighting ones. I can't wait to be off the antibiotics! Hopefully we will never experience this again lol

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 11/14/2012 8:03 pm

Im not sure of dermatitis is a cause from an allergen. I think doctors all have different opinions. I read its either an allergent or your skin is simply too sensitive and over time you can develop perioral dermatits. Either way this is super annoying lol. I think I took for granted the days I could just wash my face and use whatever i wanted. It scares me how they say it's chronic as. Don't want it to clme back, but I think my derm said that's only if you use the same products again.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 11/15/2012 9:56 am

i hear what you are saying and that makes sense. for me i do think it was an allergic reaction from that cleanser and then something else tipped it off and turned the perioral dermatitis into contact dermatitis and then now its back to perioral dermatitis. the reason why i want to do the patch testing (the derm suggested it too) is to make sure what i am using now is not causing it to stick around and there is no other way to find that out . they test for 72 different type of chemicals so i think it will be good to have a list of what i need to avoid in the future. i would love to go back to my hylunia cleanser. its very gentle and organic and has like 6 ingredients in it so hopefully one day i can use it again.

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 11/15/2012 2:59 pm

Ohh I get it! I thought u meant a diff kind of allergy test! Ya untreated contact dermatitis turns into perioral I think. Atlesst well be clear for the holidays! Do your bumps look different then acne bumps? At first when I got it mildly , I couldn't quite tell the difference. It's only because I ended up with like over a few hundred little bumps that I knew it was unusual for me and their pattern. Hopefully someone in the future can learn from us!

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 11/15/2012 3:38 pm

no worries at all and i think the reason it turned into contact dermatitis is from the hair dye but i dont know for sure until i get the patch testing since they test for the ppd in hair dye. i could be wrong about the dye but i came home and then i got a bad rash all over my face so it had to be that right? i sure hope i am clear by the holidays. its so stressful! the bumps around my mouth i know are the perioral dermatitis cuz they have that whitehead looking thing in the middle but the ones around my face i think are just acne because they are just red but then again its hard to tell. i had probably 50 or more bumps on my face at one time but now i only have a few really red active ones and then a bunch of tiny ones that are healing or at least look like they are healing. i am just wondering if that this point if the nizoral is helping or hurting me. the derm said to use it for a few more weeks or least till i get patch testing done but it really really dries out my skin which makes it flake and peel. i know it cant be too good for it which is why i want to moisturize so darn bad. ahhh!!

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 11/23/2012 8:10 pm

Hey Tracy, just wondering how your face Progress is coming along :) hope all Is good!

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 11/25/2012 8:22 pm

Hey Tracy, just wondering how your face Progress is coming along smile.png hope all Is good!

hello. good to hear from you. things are ok i got 2 cysts last week so that really bummed me out and i got a few new bumps around my mouth. ahh i just want this gone already its really driving me nuts and i think my hubby is sick of me complaining but this really has killed my self esteem. the patch testing starts tomorrow and i am not looking forward to it. how are you doing? how is your skin?

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 11/26/2012 12:07 am

Awe :(

My skins ok I have a few bumps as well although I am no sure if they are pimples or perioral dermatitis :s. hopefully all this will be over soon! It's so disheartening when we feel almost done and then more pop up...:(

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 11/26/2012 1:07 pm

Awe sad.png

My skins ok I have a few bumps as well although I am no sure if they are pimples or perioral dermatitis :s. hopefully all this will be over soon! It's so disheartening when we feel almost done and then more pop up...sad.png

i so hear ya there. i feel like its either sun or alcohol are triggers for me which is pretty crappy because i like to go out and have some drinks and i feel like it relieves stress ya know? i guess no alcohol for me for a few weeks. yeah i want this gone already so i can go back to using my acne meds so that i can stop breaking out. its so odd to be getting cysts like this with taking 200mg of doxy everyday. that normally doesnt happen when i am on a high dosage of doxy. i feel like another one is brewing too so i might have to go back to the derm and have them give me a different antibiotic for now for this acne. i can barely deal with the dermatitis but to be getting cysts on top of it just makes me so much more upset. i am convinced now that its the nizoral causing it. before this whole thing started i was clear for a while and only got a cyst every 3-4 months. i guess we just gotta stay positive and hope this all ends soon. its like a bad nightmare though i will tell you that. thanks for listening i really helps to have somebody to talk to that understands.

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 11/27/2012 12:42 pm

Yeah! I have one pimple now but I have a few small scars from what happened after. Those bumps that where on my forehead?? My derm told me wasn't dermatitis she didn't know what it is!! But i used my apple cidar and now their gone. But because when they dried out I picked some off there's a mark :P hopefully they will disappear soon as well. I lowered my dosage of antibiotics to one pill every second day. (from when I started I took two pills a day). Just to make sure the dermatitis doesn't come back. Maybe it is the nix oral? And that's so weird doxy is doing that.. Try tetracycline or minocycline! I'm on mino and I haven't had any side effects. Seems to work for acne

And dermatitis. Also I had freshly done piercings (microdermals on my sternum) and that totally helped them heal! It could be the antibiotic isn't working as well cuz it's been a while on it. I know tetracycline is the best treatment for dermatitus too. But mine went pretty fast with minocycline so give it a shot!:) and fill your spiro prescription! It's much safer to be on spiro long term than antibiotics. I didn't even notice an initial breakout because of the damn dermatitis lol.

And that's exactly how I described it! A bad nightmare!