Notifications
Clear all

Could My Red Acne Scars Actually Be Rosacea?

MemberMember
(@sarah25)

Posted : 10/04/2012 12:08 pm

So, I've been told for the past 2 years (I'm 22 and started experiencing skin issues at 20) that I have adult hormonal acne. I only break out on my lower cheeks, but VERY badly.

I cleared up my first breakout with minocycline and was good for about a year, but this past July I started experiencing my second breakout and it was awful. My body has become immune to oral antibiotics, so my doctor put me on Epiduo twice a day and Ortho Tri-Cyclen.

I've been on this regimen for exactly 6 weeks. At first, I was heartbroken over the Epiduo because it made my skin 1000 times worse. However (knock on wood) this past week my skin has finally been settling down and I'm not getting any new massive papules or pimples on my cheeks. However, the red scarring left over from my acne is so bad.

My cheeks are both literally polka-dotted in red marks. My skin is mostly smooth (except for about 3 or 4 papules left over), but without makeup it looks like I'm covered in chicken pox or pimples. I even seem to have red marks where I've never gotten pimples on my skin? Is this normal??

I'm just wondering if this could be a sign that I also have a bit of rosacea. I notice the redness and appearance of my scars seems to change with what I eat or drink (caffeine and alcohol especially). I've read this is a sign of rosacea.

I'm just curious. My doctor has mentioned rosacea to me before but seems pretty convinced that I just have a bad case of hormonal acne. But this redness is just ridiculous.....

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/04/2012 12:34 pm

I have acne AND rosacea, so I get hormonal acne along with persistent redness.

Spironolactone cleared the bumps, still working on a way to clear the redness. There's not really a good cure for rosacea except regular laser treatments.

MemberMember
(@sarah25)

Posted : 10/04/2012 3:12 pm

Spironolactone cleared the bumps, still working on a way to clear the redness. There's not really a good cure for rosacea except regular laser treatments.

Thanks!

Yeah, I've heard of a lot of acne/rosacea cases. I've actually gone for a laser consultation but unfortunately its not exactly in my price range right now as a student living on my own. Really frustrating.

Its funny because when you hear the word rosacea, its kind of a relief at first because it sounds better than the word "acne", but realistically it seems its a lot tougher to get rid of. So the two mixed together=frustrating. Is your rosacea completely clear right now?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/04/2012 6:21 pm

Thanks!

Yeah, I've heard of a lot of acne/rosacea cases. I've actually gone for a laser consultation but unfortunately its not exactly in my price range right now as a student living on my own. Really frustrating.

Its funny because when you hear the word rosacea, its kind of a relief at first because it sounds better than the word "acne", but realistically it seems its a lot tougher to get rid of. So the two mixed together=frustrating. Is your rosacea completely clear right now?

No, my acne is 100% clear, but rosacea is the same as always. I've pretty much resigned to getting laser later on for it.